Register now to get rid of these ads!

Saved a 1949 Dodge Coronet from a scraper

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scroat Bag Garage, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Picked up a '49 Coronet in rural Kansas this weekend, guy was thinking about scrapping it. It was from friend of the family and parked in a barn, he got it a couple of years ago and never did anything with it (parked outside), last registered in 1985 (clear title) but no keys.

Been reading about that Gyro-matic, what a mess to work on one of those, had to watch a couple of youtube videos to figure it out. Looks like he hooked up a 12v battery and smoked some wires, he looked suprised when I told him it's a 6 volt positive gound car.

Hadn't done anything with it yet, needing to get a tire so I can roll it to the garage, all the glass is good, chrome and stainless on the car or in the trunk.

Been reading '49 dodge links (my first Mopar), so much to learn. Hadn't messed with the flathead 6 yet, he said it turned over by hand though.

(anyone have a driver side taillight lens, used?)

Just a couple of shots, not too sure about that big ass visor yet but thinking lower it down and it will fit the look.

Any guidance or leads on parts for this thing are apreciated (or even engine swaps w/ an auto trans).

[​IMG]

Has original hubcaps
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  2. I am just getting red Xs, but I am glad you saved a car from the scrappper.

Oh it will make a good bombita.

3. camcb

camcb

me no see no pics.

4. Moedog07

Moedog07

Reload your pictures cause it looks alot like an X

5. We'll reload, I get the full color images...strange, damn strange!

6. Try this again with a different host.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. dmikulec

dmikulec

8. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

Keep the visor...318-360's, 904-727 autos...Explorer rear-ends...front disk conversions, better sway-bar, etc....all fairly straight forward and covered right here on the H.A.M.B. A T-5 behind your flat 6 is an option, too.

9. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

good save what a cool old daily driver it would make with an updated drivetrane ,

10. Only problem is I've got other projects that need attention (wife would say...need finished). So it's not going to get torn into right away. Found some off the shelf rattle can grey super close to the original grey in the jams, going to give it a quick spray to slow the surface rust and get it in the garage out of the elements.

11. squirt some good lube oil in the cylinders and let them soak and after a week or so try and start it up. get the thing running and turn it to fund your "build in progress".

12. chafin

chafin

Awesome find and I love the visor. I'm currently looking for one for mine!

13. Model T1

Model T1

Nice save. Looks like it just needs cleaned up and that rattle can shot here and there. My 1949 Coronet had Fluid Drive. Hated it but loved the Dodge.
    A lot of modern day rodders hate the visor but I think it helps the old look.

14. 1950coronet

1950coronet
    from fontana ca

Nice save! I'll take the visor if ya don't use it.........

15. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

keep the visor,and patina!

16. You can check with the P15-D24 Forum for old Plyms and Dodges for
    additional information. Use the search feature.

http://p15-d24.com/forum/4-p15-d24-forum/

Here's a 49 with no visor.......I think the visor adds to the vintage look. Might need
    to get one of those stoplight viewer prism things to put on the dash.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013