Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help with a Model A VIN

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rdually, Feb 11, 2013.

1. rdually

rdually
    from Arizona

Can anyone help decipher this VIN or Body Number (may not relate to VIN) off my car, Model A 5 Window.

Body Number 195-1841. Not sure if it's a 28 or 29 for starters. I only have the body.

Thanks Much !!

2. The 28s and 29s were pretty much the same, you title off of the numbers stamped on the frame.

3. Fenders

Fenders

Model a did not have VIN on body -- VIN (serial number) is on engine and frame.

what's a 5 window? Coupes and tudors have 5 windows.

4. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Personally, I'm waiting for the "Model As didn't have a VIN, they had a serial number. VINs didn't exist until 1981" post, which I'm sure someone will surely add shortly, as they always do.

5. yes, you need a frame for a serial number, it would be on top of the frame rail behind the steering box, under the front left of the cab/body. the number on the firewall tag will not help.

6. blucar

blucar

The VIN/Ser number for a Model A is stamped into the frame in two places.. The first stamping place will be adjacent to the cowl location on the frame.. The second location is on the frame on the rear end hump..
    Ford did not use engine numbers and/or body numbers as a means of identification.. If you do not have a Model A frame with a good clear number, you might be up the proverbial creek without a paddle..

7. blucar, I did know about the stamping on the rear, is that on the rear crossmember? center? top, front or rear?

8. badshifter

badshifter

Model A frames don't have a rear end hump. And I've never seen a serial number stamped on a rear crossmember.

9. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The body number which you have is only related to the plant the body was made at. If you search some of the Model Restoration sites, they break it down to what plant it may have been built at. This number is not related to the serial number which it would be titled under.

10. Fenders

Fenders

Perhaps he means top of rear X member..

"At the time of vehicle final assembly, the pre-existing engine number was also stamped on the vehicle frame in one or more locations (top of LH frame rail near Number One body bolt, LH frame rail top towards rear, and rear crossmember on top). (note: Frame-stamped serial numbers are typically not found on Canadian-built Model A's)"

from http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/ABenginenumbers.htm

Although I have only looked under the left side cowl.

11. blucar

blucar

VIN/Serial Number... is like potato, potato.. The terminology evolved because the serial numbers used actually started to mean something, identifying engines, trans, etc. in lieu of just being a numbering system, as used by Ford for one...

12. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

I have never seen a VIN stamped on the rear x member.

13. alchemy

alchemy

Me either. I think he's confusing the 32 and up locations.

14. badshifter

badshifter

Model A frames don't have an X member either.
    I guess we aren't helping the op's question.... but
    My current 29 didn't have a frame number, but I had the original engine that matched the title so I was good to go.
    But the cowl stamped number was never used for VIN/Serial number purposes. Those were production number stampings.

15. Not to get off topic but isn't there supposed to be a number stamped on the body on the passengers side floor? I am not sure what the number means but my dads truck has one, Its right in front of the seat if you lift up the wood floor. I always assumed it was the date it was built like the number stamped on the drivers side of the gas tank.

16. alchemy

alchemy

This was the production number of that particular body style at that plant. Say the 1245th coupe produced at Saint Louis is: STL 1245

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/assemblyplantbodynumbers.htm

17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

My model A frame has a hump in the rear crossmember or my frame is not a model A maybe.

18. alchemy

alchemy

Yes, but there's no # stamped there like the other poster said he has.

19. Shookie

Shookie

There is a slight hump in the rear of the Model A frame were the
    rear leaf spring rests in and then the large U-bolts
    are secured for holding. The serial number is stamped on the left side of the frame in the area of pedals and steering box areas. The number stamped on the
    engine area is not recognized by most State DMV departments because
    of multiple engine changes of the years.
    :):):)

20. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

my model A has two vin stampings. one is where it should be, and I stamped it again in front of that, where it can be seen.

21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Thats good to know all I have is a frame and cowl whitch always looked differant on the firewall than most I think it is a briggs body but only guessing.

22. rdually

rdually
    from Arizona

Good info, thank you