Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects FOUND...The Hot Rod that started it all for me!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by chop32, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Glad to see it back in the family!!

2. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Great story. Glad the old girl made it home. Please keep us updated as it goes back together.

3. Great story & Happy that you were able to get it back!

4. bobadame

bobadame

Congrats man, that's the best story I've heard in a while.

5. BlownMerc

BlownMerc
    from Jerome

Such an awesome story, thanks for sharing!

6. 231ramona

231ramona

Great story, Congratulations!

7. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Very very cool... Glad you were able to bring back into your family!

Malcolm

8. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

When you get it put back together it would be cool to restage the photo with you and your brother. If you can find an old title or registration showing the black plates went with that car you may be able to bring them back to life with the DMV. Its a pain but can be done. Don't surrender those plates!

9. fts55

fts55
    from guthrie ok

Is your brother still alive and going to help in the build?

10. flthdfn

flthdfn

That is one awesome story! Have fun with the build.

11. chop32

chop32

Thanks so much for all of the positive comments...I actually woke up in the middle of the nite and had to look out the window to make sure it was all real.
    My intention was to strap a couple axles under the frame and loosly bolt everything together so I could roll it to the back shed. The "secret" plan was to swap places with the wifes '36 Ford Coupe project, which has been stored for 8 years while she patiently waited. I figured I owed it to her to get her car on the road.
    Yesterday I told her of the plan. To my surprise she told me "No, you have to build the A first"!
    Unfortunately, I lost my brother to cancer in 2004. I idolized him as a kid, loved and respected him as an adult and miss him every day.
    Ill try to address all the comments, hopefully I dont miss any.
    In my mind, the car must be built to reflect the way it was in my childhood. In late '67 or early '68 I remember my brother adding cowl lites and a stock rear bumper, so those will be included in the build, along with the single fender mounted tail lite.
    While the burnt orange color is growing on me, the car in my memories was black so thats the color it will be.
    Ill probably lower the back a little and put chrome wheels on the front, but it will definitely get another set of cheater slicks!
    No dropped axle, no 4 bar suspension, no alternator, no disc brakes.
    The '50 olds rear and trailing arms are missing, so it might get the 8" Ford 3.00 posi and ladder bars that came with it...buggy sprung of coarse!
    I have a solid lifter '50 Cad V-8 and B&M Hydro that I might use to fill the void left by the missing 283 Chevy/3 speed.
    Concessions to safety will be not using the cowl mounted fuel tank and replacing the plate glass.
    I plan to take lots of pictures and do a build thread as soon as things get rolling.
    The gentleman my Brother sold the car to still lives in town and I hope to be in contact with him very soon. If I learn any more about the cars history, Ill pass it along.
    This should be a fun ride!
    Thats my brothers girlfriend (they married 6 months later) in the car. When they were dating she lived 6 houses down on the opposite side of the street from where I live now so this isnt the first time the car has been in the neighborhood!

Attached Files:

kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  12. That is awesome!

13. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

Great story! I'm glad that you were able to get the car back, and I'm also glad I'm located pretty close to you, so hopefully, I'll get a chance to see the car at the Nor Cal Knockout or other area car shows. Have fun with it!

14. Thats way beyond cool. We're all happy for you.

15. 3340

You Must Feel Like You Just Won The Lottery ! Congrats.

16. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Very very happy for you. Take as many pics as you can. To pass on the story of the car when its time to leave. I hope theres a young gear head in your family so maybe one day when it gets passed on.. It can stay in your family......

17. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

I'm amazed you could find 3 other guys to go on a 900 mile trip with you. I can hardly find anyone anymore who isn't working so many hours they can't go to Taco Bell.

18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Wow the car was cool by itself but the story takes it up quite a few notches! Huge congrats :)

19. chop32

chop32

Two of us are retired, one is a truck driver who has weekends free and one is a youngster who doesnt need much sleep!

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Wow!! what a great story!!

21. 4psi

4psi

Your big brother is looking down smiling!! You have yourself a keeper.

-Charlie

22. Guess there is still hope my old 54 Chevy 210 will show up. Congrats on your car. You have to be flying high. Hope all goes well with your building of the dream. Bet your ole brother is looking down smiling ear to ear.

23. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

A great story that stirs up many memories of cars that have been near and dear to me. Best of luck with the legacy!

24. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

what a cool story , glad you scored the car back , hope you post some build pictures

25. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

26. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Hell if you think your all warm and fuzzy feel good now wait till you put it in gear and head down the street for the first time. congrats and good luck

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

I love this kind of sh_t! Its your car, but I would put the same exact drivetrain, wheels and stance your bro had... there are plenty of model A's to build like you want some day, but only one that was your bros and ment so much to you. Not many people are able to have a piece of history like that. Just saying... oh and maybe an oldschool pin stripe of your brothers name on the dash. :)

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. chop32

chop32

I like the stripe on the dash idea!
    I should have mentioned that the little changes that I would make are based upon things that I remember him saying that he would have liked to have done, or to fix things that he didnt like about the car. Like Im finishing it the way he would have had he kept it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Edited: Question answered up thread.

30. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

Awesome story. Keep us posted with progress.