Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rear Bumper Delete 1948 Fleetmaster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NextLevel, Feb 11, 2013.

1. NextLevel

NextLevel

I’m thinking about getting rid of the rear bumper and going with a smooth finish in the rear, what do you guys think? Would I have any issues in the long run not running the rear bumper other than protection ?

[​IMG]

2. NextLevel

NextLevel

the image is a quick photoshop of what it would look like without the bumper..

3. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

I think it looks pretty damn good..... Go for it.....

4. badshifter

badshifter

On a stock bodied stock trimmed car its going to look like you just have not put the bumper on. Leaving a part off does not make it a custom. Any other plans to go along with a bumper delete?

5. NextLevel

NextLevel

valid point Badshifter, I didnt think about that.. other plans are to lower the car.

6. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I would also think about how much damage that would result if someone tapped you @ 10 mph. Use the bumper, I agree with Badshifter.

7. With all that stock trim, it needs a bumper. The bumper will make it look even lower when you drop it too.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

8. NextLevel

NextLevel

Burst my bubble!! lol but yeah I see your point. What I dont like about the bumper is it sticks way out from the body, but having all the trim on the car it all ties into the car..
    Your comments really helped! Thanks guys!

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I think your car needs a bumper.

10. sololobo

sololobo

Leave it on please!! Nice lookin Chevy bro. ~sololobo~

11. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Here's a 48 Aero Cp. we are doing, with an old Corvette bumper flipped upside down and molded in.

Attached Files:

12. Can you modify the bumper irons to suck the bumper in closer to the car body?

13. Wonder how close a ribbed bumper would come to fitting.

14. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

I like that look, but you also need to get rid of at least the trunk lid chrome pieces.

15. Torchie

Torchie

Since you are asking for opinons, here goes.
    For those of us that lived thru the "Street rodder" phase this look brings back memories(Mostly Bad). The only thing worse would be to paint the bumper the same color as the body.
    Plus as has been stated elsewhere that's a whole lot of unprotected ass.
    Look into moving the bumper in closer to the body or just run the bumper with no overrides to help clean up the appearence. Or possibly go with a ribbed Plymouth bumper.
    Post pics of whatever you do.

16. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

You can tuck the bumper up closer to the body without a ton of work.
    Get rid of the overriders and smooth the bumper for a smoother look if you like.

17. Yeah, moving the bumper closer to the body isn't a big deal. When I put my old 50 delivery together I hated the "stick-out" rear bumper. I found a same year Pontiac bumper actually followed the curve of the car's back. Had to remove a 3 inch section from each side of the bumper where it fit into a recess in the car's body. Couldn't afford plating so it stayed body color until I sold the car..
    I built my own bumper brackets and welded the bumper bolts to the back of the bumper to mount it.

Attached Files:

18. mj40's

mj40's

Bumpers don't do much good unless they are all at the same height and built like a tank. No this is not the car in the avatar.

[​IMG]

19. Leaving the bumper off is just going to make the car look unfinished,,it's a clean simple car and they look good with bumpers. HRP

20. historynw

historynw

I had a big argument with the shop doing my work , we used the same street rod pan. I made them mark and cut for the bumper brackets. We did have to slightly modify the bumper gravel pan to fit the section where the trunk edge panel meets. I think it makes a 40's car look right with the bumper. You could always use a bumper mount license plate holder from a later model or a wagon.

21. NextLevel

NextLevel

Thanks for the feedback fellas!! I think I'm sticking with a bumper but just bring it closer to the body..

22. And while you are at it suck in the front bumper as well

23. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The damage would probably be much worse if the bumper was not there,with all the idiots on the road today and not many older cars in the junkyards I would never have any vehicle without bumpers.

24. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

I am triming the filler plate between the bumper and body. Bringing in everything. The bumpers both front and rear will be about 1/2" from the body and a little lower to the ground. I seen a '48 sedan done like that in Vegas a few years ago. It looked really good. In the rear since his bumper had been dinged in the center He inset the license plate holder into before he sent it to be rechromed.

25. rt338b

rt338b
    from Illinois

Here is pics done of front and rear bumper ideas. I used chrome moly tubing that fit inside of one another to adjust depth and used bumper guards for nerf bar look on front and flipped rear bumper upside down and ground the clearance to body to fit quarter panels on the rear.

Attached Files:

26. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

That looks good.