Register now to get rid of these ads!

350 SBC Block ID Nos.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gag1025, Feb 11, 2013.

1. gag1025

gag1025

I am trying to identify the year my block was made. There are two nos. at the front: V0108TFM and 197508043

At the the rear right above the transmission there are three: GM41, 3970010, A39.

Does anyone have a manual that tells what all of these letters and nos. stand for? Thanks for all help. I guess I could but a 350 CSB manual from Summit to do this but this is easier.

2. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

3. txturbo

txturbo

or you could just use google on the internet....the TFM will tell you what vehicle the motor was originally installed in. To narrow it down more you need to find the block casting date...which I can't remember the location for at the moment.

4. TFM =

1979 350 ci - 4 barrel carb.
    from a van
    California emmisions.

5. If you look right above the numbers on the rear near the belhousing there should be a clock, that will give you a real close casting date but I would have to look at one to remember how to dicifer it.

The longer number, 3970010 in this case will get you a year range for this particular block.

Other than looking for a specific block like a high nickle Mexican block for racing purposes a 350 is a 350 there are no differences in them from the beginning to the end other than 2 bolt of 4 bolt mains which is apparent if the block is a bare block. Actually if you were to buy a late large journal 327 block it would be identical to the 350 block in all aspects.

On a side note when I am building a show car for someone I normally take my die grinder to the block and remove all casting marks. I do leave the stamped vin/id number on the block for legality's sake.

6. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

DonMan is right on the 79 application PLUS it can also be
    82 165hp LS9 350 cubic inch 4bbl VIN L in a 20series (3/4ton) C body (pickup)
    the 79 Van (G body) is the same horsepower

7. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

That A39 that is cast above the "transmission" area equates to:

January (A), 3rd day (3), 1979 (9).

That is the date the block was cast at the foundry. DD

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

have this on passenger side front deck on Chevy small block V8: 19C154946 - any ideas on what it means? tried above links, no luck

9. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Without knowing what year the block is...the 19C part is the only part that is decipherable....the rest is just a sequential vin number. Okay...the 1 is for Chevrolet....the 9 could be 1959 1969 or possibly 1979...the C is South Gate plant in California. I doubt South Gate was open in the later 70s...so I am guessing 1959 or 1969....they normally built full size cars there like Impalas....

10. 47ragtop

47ragtop

Thank goodness some one else knows that the date code is on the passenger side of the block rear. This is the Most important set of numbers in determining the date and/or application of the block. The codes on the passenger front can be misleading because the code could be for more than 1 application. I once had a 350 block that had the same codes for another year 305 block. However the casting date code proved it was a 350 before tear down. 33 years of being a Chevy dealership employee taught me 2 things-- how to read date codes and how stooopid I was for staying there !!

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

12. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

aaaaa

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  13. Deloc

Deloc

Look up a site called MORTEC it has probably everything you want to know about Chevy engine numbering.
    Happy Hunting,
    Deloc

14. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Any 010 block is a good block.....

If its from 79, its near the end of the 010 block run..... Alotta strength there

15. MORTECs site was down for a LONG ass time & it now appears to be up,& a lot nicer...thanks for the reminder!

16. Two letter engine codes were used through 1969 model year, three letter engine codes starting in 1970 and later.

17. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Did a little Google research into the Southgate GM plant...first opened in 1936 it was the first GM plant west of the Mississippi...aside from full size they built the new compacts like 1961-63 Skylarks, Cutlass and Tempest. When the compacts became midsized cars in 1964, they concentrated on full size like Impalas. From then till 1975 that is all they built...then added a couple of car lines from 75-77, then full time back to full size GM from 1977-80 when it closed. It blew my mind that it was still open as recently as 1980...

All this trivia is important because if you know what plant built what you can narrow down what an engine's original application was if you dont know what the assembly code is. In other words if you see C as the plant as in Jalopy Jokers case you would know it is likely a full size Chevy engine and not a Corvette or Z/28 engine for example...

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

found the second set of ID code information. but, can not see the entire code:
    1 CC(??) 06DNR - any ideas? first section was scuffed at some point in time and only can tell that shape is CC or OO

19. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Google is your friend.Just Google the casting number and you will find the answer.I have a 3970010 and up came the answer on Google.

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

tried Google with no results. but, on chevymania.com used their small block suffix code section and only needed the last three letters of second code found on front block deck to easily figure it out. turns out it is only a 305 but, has been rebuilt and runs strong.

21. JJ - Yeah, DNR kicks back to a 79 Impala 305 2bbl 130hp hooked to a 350TH trans. The pad where those suffix codes are stamped is 4 3/8" long on SBC's of the 60s and 70s, which is another quick reference to the general era. It's best in most cases to use the casting number, date code, and suffix to make a final determination. FYI, the date code can also be found sometimes on the side of the block in the flat area between the freeze plugs in the same alpha-numeric configuration as on the bellhousing flange.