Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 Olds taillights on 54 Olds...dumb?? or cool...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by batt69nova, Feb 11, 2013.

1. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

I'm massaging sheet metal on my 54 olds holiday (fairly stock build, with some mild custom touches planned), and while taking a break was looking at some old cars/parts online.

I really like the 57 olds taillights.

In fact, I like a lot about the rear end of the 57 olds.

I already have to do A LOT of rust repair (Fred Flintstone could power this car easily since the bottom half has essentially rusted away) and sheetmetal work on this car, and am over half done with the structural work and floor/rocker/lower quarter fab and replacement.

Would it be cool (assuming a lot of things go right) to "update" the rear end of my 54 to the 57 taillights? Maybe also massage the sheet metal so I can use the 57 rear bumper (I like the exhaust vents in the bumper, if that's what those are...that the 57 bumper has).

I'd be adding sheetmetal to the quarters so the 57 lights would blend into the body of the 54 (much in the way they blend into the body on the 57).

In my head, it looks cool...but...I know that cool ideas don't always wind up that way in real life, and you all have seen and done way more than I have-so I thought I'd ask.

Anyone seen some mild custom (or wild custom) 54-57 olds?? I'm interested in pics and cheers or jeers on the idea.

57 olds ass end:

[​IMG]

54 olds ass end:

[​IMG]

For what it's worth, I like the rear end of my 54, for the most part...just looking to do something with it (or maybe I'll leave it alone after cleaning up the bumper a bit...it looks good stock) to set it apart a bit. Maybe.

If it makes a difference, my olds is a holiday hardtop (2 door, no post).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  2. Kustom292

Kustom292
    from Winnipeg

I like them and say go for it.

3. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i dig the look, just wonder how much wider you're going to need to go with the rear of the quarters to make em fit

4. belair

belair

I say leave it alone. Too big. Nice car, btw.

5. BJR

BJR

Way too wide for the rear quarters. If you need a change, try something else.

6. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

They are too wide if the 54 quarters are left alone. I'd be massaging/adding metal to the 54 quarters to blend the 57 lights into the body (as is done in the 57 pic).

Basically, I'm contemplating fabbing 57 upper quarters, so I can utilize 57 lights on the 54.

I'm already having to fab a new rear panel and rear body mounts, since they rusted through-so sectioning the tail light panel to be wide enough for the 57 trim isn't a huge extra leap.

Just tring to decide if it'd actually look good, or my imagination is making it out to be cooler than reality would see it.

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Go for it...there ain't enuff Kustoms out there and Olds' make kool kustoms if done correctly.

I agree those '57 lights are way too wide for the '54...and you might even have to narrow the trunk to accommodate the '57's...and that's a lot of work just to make a taillight change...

Why not find something a bit smaller...say maybe '54 Chevy lenses sunk in...or how 'bout a trio of '59 Caddys frenched in...??? Maybe find some '52 Packard lenses Or '55 Packard... or even some '53/'54 Stude would fit (and so would '52's, turned upside down)...and look quite different...'54 Mercs would look kool too...'52 Lincolns...

There's a lot of possibilities out there without doing a whole lot of body work...and don't tell me those lenses/assemblies are not available, I see them on the HAMB classifieds a lot...

Good Luck...

R-

8. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

All good ideas-

I'm trying to keep this car as close to "all olds" as possible. The 57 taillights are quite a bit wider than the 54s, and I was looking at the trunk lines while scratching my head.

I found a pair of 57 lenses for $10, so I ordered those (figured that's cheap enough to get them, hold them up and make some guesstimates).

Trying to be a little different-and yea, I don't see very many olds at all, especially customs.

9. DRH

DRH

Cut it up and put what you want in there. Im doing some custom touches to my 55 super 88 as well. Im sure you know by now how the quarters are attached and it wouldn't be too hard to split them and add some metal, giving the width you like without creating a nightmare. I am cutting the original wheel wells out and welding in 61 impala swooped openings. Do what you like.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

10. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

Man, I restore as well as enjoy custom touches, but I'm an Olds guy and LOVE both of those years. I wouldn't change anything on that beautiful '54. Get something else to goof up.

I'm always of two minds on the restore/customize decision :rolleyes:

11. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

How about some '56 98 lights instead? They remind me of star fruit Lol

12. I think '56 98 tail lights would look better on there than the '57.

[​IMG]

13. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

I'd love to see some pics of that!

14. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

15. DRH

DRH

Watch my build thread. Happening in a week or two at the most. Just recuperating funds at the moment.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

16. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

Like these?

I would have to do less widening to make them work (and check out this continental kit!) compared to the 57, for sure. Would be a more subtle change...

[​IMG]

17. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

Pic didn't post? I tried to put the same '56 tail light pic on here and it wouldn't come up either, but fuxl got it on.
    That may be a heckofa lot easier to mold in, too

18. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

Yea, would be a lot easier, due to the similar dimensions.

I'm not looking for easy, just hoping for cool.

I do like the 56, just not sure if I like it more than the 57.

19. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I say leave the 54 tail lights, smooth the deck lid, get rid of both the bumper guards and back up lights and leave the cool color along.. Very cool car even if you do nothing at all....

20. 'Mo

'Mo

x3.

21. 1954 rocket 98

1954 rocket 98

i agree with the 56 98 lights, alot easier to blend in, I think you would be hard pressed to blend the 57 lights in without just welding on 57 rear quarters. the shape of the 57 is just to different. It does look like you could make the 57 bumper work good, that would be cool.

22. metalix_421

metalix_421

i think 56 88 or 98 would be a good look on it

23. BJR

BJR

How about 1960 Olds tail lights stood on end?

24. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

THIS was my exact thought immediately upon reading your initial post and then as I read along............here it is!!

Hard to beat this for several reasons..............

Ray

25. eastcoastron

eastcoastron

Your choice but if it were me,I would leave it alone and maybe just nose it and deck it.Possibly shave the door handels,add lake pipes and continental kit.
    Good luck with it on whatever you chose.Keep us posted.

26. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

THIS is even better advice...........IMO :)

Ray

27. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

If I went with the 57 lights, I'd be fabbing 57 style upper quarters (I imagine that nobody makes 57 quarters, and my experience has been that it's typically less time for me to make a panel than deal with a rusty original piece cut out of a donor) so that I'd wind up with, essentially, a 57 rear quarter to house the lights.

I am beginning to like the '56 98 lights a lot more, but am wondering if the 57 bumper would still work if I don't have the 57 lights (and wider body lines necessary to fit them). I really dig the 57 bumper...

I appreciate everyone's advice very much