Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another 54 chevy build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LOW1954, Jan 2, 2013.

1. LOW1954

LOW1954

ImageUploadedByTJJ1357651102.810736.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1357651130.844481.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1357651196.404524.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1357651224.305334.jpg

More toe boards pics just before completion, and steering column fitment

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

We were parked next to you guys at the cruise in, I'm with the Kingsmen. Definently have to meet up this summer.

3. LOW1954

LOW1954

[​IMG]

Does any body have any insight on rear swaybars such as the one in the picture. This is the brand I am running, it came with splined arms that attach to either side, and i am using heim joints to connect it to the rear diff. I am not sure what a good length to mount the arms at would be. My thought is that the longer you keep them, the more leverage you have, but not sure that it matters? Also was going to mount the link bars directly on top of the diff, but have seen it done mounted to the front or rear of the diff, again not sure how much stress the welded on brakets will see when mounted off either side of the diff. Any info would be awesome.

4. LOW1954

LOW1954

ImageUploadedByTJJ1358219217.159243.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1358219245.354600.jpg

Here are some photos of the car somewhat put back together for the move to Washington.

Does anyone know any info on this car below, who's it is etc. trying to find out a rough idea of how much they chopped it. ImageUploadedByTJJ1358219426.856238.jpg

5. It was built by Oz Kustoms. It started out as a 4-door. Not sure how much it was chopped.

6. 54rat210

54rat210

7. THE BRONSON

THE BRONSON

Pretty slick, great work man.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

8. rat nasty

rat nasty

9. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Bad ass fab work man. Top stuff. really dig the brake lines on the link arms.
    Can the front go any lower? or will it be on a rake? just wondering.
    I wonder how that sway bar works too btw, i dont think ive ever seen a straight sway bar anywhere, or if i did i thought it was a panhard or something....

10. LOW1954

LOW1954

55 1st series, thanks for the info, now that I know the person who built it, I should be able to find more info about the car. I just want to do all the home work I can about the chop, before I really put the saw to mine.

rat nasty, THE BRONSON, and 54 rat210 thanks for all the compliments. More photos will be coming soon of the latest progress. 54 rat210, what are your plans for your car?

bonez, thanks a lot for the compliments, I thought for a while on how I should run the lines, wanted them to kinda flow with the chassis, as to not have a lot of wasteful bends and such. The car sat with a rake in those pictures, because I have a TCI mustang II kit up front, and that was as low as it would go, I have started modifying the lower control arm and the upper air bag hat, and have a fat man fab ultra low cross member. The cross member will lower the front an inch alone. My plans are for it to sit level. The sway bar is similar to the sway bars they use in a Winston cup car, or rather Nextel cup car. People have used them for some time in hot rods, I just want to have the correct ratio right, so that the sway bar works the best it can.

Again thanks to everyone for all of the compliments i look forward to getting back to work on the car this weekend.

11. LOW1954

LOW1954

I have just notice that people have the abilities to rate each others thread, My thread was showing a one star. I am not sure as to how the ratings work on these threads? I have not done many if any long threads like this, and I apologies if my thread is lacking in any way. Any and all help on this subject would be cool. I'm just trying to make a thread that is interesting and cool for others on the hamb, possibly even giving others some ideas of there own, on what they want to do, or don't want to do to their cars. My computer skills have never been the greatest, guess that's why we tend to stick to things we know, and for me its not computers.

Attached Files:

12. LOW1954

LOW1954

rat nasty. The chop is looking bitchin, cant wait to see your finished product. I will definitely need the help of all of you that have done it before, as it will be my first chop. I plan on keeping the stock shaped back glass, and understand that its going to make the chop that much trickier?

13. chopd top

chopd top
    from Florida
    1. HAMB Relays

The car is looking good! The fab work is looking good! Keep doing what you're doing and don't worry about the rating on it. I've never given that star rating much credence anyway simply because anyone having a pissy day can give everyone "one star" for things that don't suit them on that particular day. Just keep rockin'! :cool:

14. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Thread rating is as useful as a drained battery.

15. sololobo

sololobo

Really a great build. I will bump up that rating as it should be maximum. This is one of the greatest body styles ever done by G.M. You have this one lookin right, love the W motor coming in there, one of the most gorgeous motors ever designed. Keep it up bro. ~sololobo~

16. LOW1954

LOW1954

Chopd top and bonez:

thanks for clearing the smoke on that subject, that's what I had figured. After all I think we all are on here for reasons of learning something new, getting ideas and just BS ing about hot rods. I agree we all have our pissed off days. Much respect to all fellow builders. I have learned a ton on here.

And yes a drained battery is as good as, well, what bonez said!!!

sololbo:

thanks for the compliments. I cant wait for it to be on the road again.
    My hopes are that the W motor gives the car a different look, maybe more of
    a nostalgic look to go along with the custom look. HA HA HA, that's what's cool about hot rods, no two are the same. I'm anxious to start my wife's dream truck, a 1951 chevy 3 window truck. Thanks for the bump in the ratings

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  17. rat nasty

rat nasty

never paid any attention to a raiting if I'm interested I'll look or read? my thoughts exactly! you know most of us really think for the most part alike! great job! I got some spare stuff so if you need anything just ask even if it is some info or an opinion...info & opinions are free of charge!lol!

18. oz kustoms

oz kustoms

I chopped it 2 1/2 in the front,and 3 in the rear,it did start off a four door

19. LOW1954

LOW1954

Oz your response to my question is greatly appreciated. The work that you produce out of your shop in my opinion is one of the best. Cars like this are inspirational to me, and the fact that you are willing to respond to a post on the work you did is awesome. When I chop my car it will be my first, so I had just s couple more questions. Did you slant the back window forward or did you Stretch the roof, or lengthen the cat walk? Any help on what you did with the back window would be great, as I want to keep the back window shape. Thanks again for your response.

20. JakeDW

JakeDW
    from Missouri

Work looks really nice clean I like how you made the v braces for the bag mounts instead of the regular bar across notch to notch.

Jake

21. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

Superb work man. Did the TCI front end work out good, any positives or negatives with it? Where did your four links come from, it looks like a well built set up without rubber/urethane bushings.

22. LOW1954

LOW1954

Hussey, thanks for the compliment. The TCI front end is a good one, they have been around a long time, and make a great product. The two that I was choosing between when
    I bought mine are TCI and fat man fab. The rear Four link is something I came
    up with, though there are many out there that are sold as kits. I just enjoy making things on my own if I have the time and money. Again thanks for the compliments.

23. LOW1954

LOW1954

Jake, thanks for the compliment. I decided not to run a bar across the rear of the chassis, due to the fact that I'm running a taller tire on all four corners. I am running firestone 700 series white walls. I just really liked the taller look, and had not seen them run very much on this year car. Since I'm running the taller tire the car had to come down that much more to lay frame. I did not want a cross bar to get in the way of going down as far as I needed to .

24. LOW1954

LOW1954

ImageUploadedByTJJ1358906007.932065.jpg

Started stripping the paint off of the front fenders and hood, to start the pancake on the hood, and frenching the headlights.

25. Nu-B

Nu-B
    from Denver CO

Sweet build Sir...

26. Dead End Sleds

Dead End Sleds

Great build. If you Google Joey Spada 1954 Chevy, you will come up with a lot of photos of that Oz built car. I've been studying that car for the last half hour. Came across your thread that showed you liked car too, so figured I would let you know what I know. Keep updates coming.

27. DMacias

DMacias
    from So Cal

Great build. Keep up the good work.

28. LOW1954

LOW1954

Iwanaflattie, thanks for the compliments, you are right, some people don't have anything better to do than put down someone's work. We can all learn from each other and vet ideas, as ling as we are open minded. I just have a passion for building hot rods, and if I can be of help to others, it makes the hole process better.

Dead end sleds, thanks for the information on joey spadas 54 Chevy. I have also studdied the car for many hours. Think its just going to come down to taking the torch to the car and slowly creating the look that I'm looking for.

Dmacias thanks for the compliment here is an update picture of the progress on the car. I have been busy with work, and life itself, so have not been in the shop too much. Finished making the last trans tunnel piece

29. LOW1954

LOW1954

ImageUploadedByTJJ1360903936.617000.jpg