Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1940's -50's built custom 1939 ford Pu from Alabama, looking for info and history

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kb cookout, Feb 1, 2013.

1. kb cookout

kb cookout

Lost a lot of pictures in Photo bucket, I went back and re insert some pictures, I'll be adding more and updates, Thanks kb
    2/4/2018

HI;
    Looking for info and builder(s) of this 1939 ford truck.
    It is chopped , channeled, section, with a 1940 ford car front end , car running boards and chevy truck rear fenders. was powered by a Olds , Or Chevy V8

Kyle, (K-boy) here on the Hamb bought this at Mike (Steve) Davis estate auction in the Birmingham , Alabama area in Oct and we have been doing a full restore on it

Mike (Steve) Davis originally worked on it and later bought it and towed it to CA then was stored there when he live and worked for Walt Disney in the Imagineering dept, Then towed it back to AL. It was last taged in Alabama in 1966

If anyone can help with info or what shop could have built it

Thanks KB

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  2. koolkemp

koolkemp

Cool truck !

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. rd4pin

rd4pin
    from louisiana

Looks like a great project, good luck.

4. Interesting project, looks like Chevy PU rear fenders on the bed, maybe Chevy bed also?

Attached Files:

5. stephane-rod

stephane-rod
    from france

6. kb cookout

kb cookout

HI;
    It has a ford bed that was shortened and riveted together and then leaded on the area that shows and chevy pickup rear fenders

later kb

Oct 2012
    [​IMG]

Dec 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  7. ...can't help with history but it's got a lot I bet, very neat lookin truck, those 50's Chevy truck fenders just look rite on those trucks. good luck with it.

8. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

hasnt been to many cars that grabbed my attestation on the hamb lately but I like this pick up

9. Very cool truck for sure...Someone has to know something on this truck as you just don't see that many 40's done with the car front on them.

10. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a neat find! What will it get for motorvation? An olds would be cool!

11. 296ardun

296ardun

Where in Alabama? Was it originally from the Birmingham area or just auctioned there? If you know where it was built, it might be possible to run the photos in a local paper, the locals might be able to report on it as a human interest story...

12. kb cookout

kb cookout

Kyle had a 283 build for it and going to run 3x2 intake, hooked to the stock trans and rear , we were able to find most of the parts for it that were stored in the garage, and buy them from the widow.

Right now we're doing metal work to repair the rusted out areas,

later kb

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  13. kb cookout

kb cookout

From what we were told it was built in Birmingham and the auction was in Odenville Al. along, with a 34 roadster , vintage race car parts and fiberglass molds for bodies

None of the family knew which shop it was built at and they were still looking for other pictures, I have one front on shot I'll scan and post

thanks kb

14. 34fordchop

34fordchop
    from California

15. El KaMiNo KiD

El KaMiNo KiD

16. that's a nice truck..

17. k9racer

k9racer

If I recall correctly. Years ago it was at the North Birmingham ESSO station. A hot rod hang out.. Many Street drag races were set up at this station that was managed by a man named Jerry. Also I recall seeing this truck in the Ensley heights area. I will be in the Birmingham area in about 2 weeks around Feb 25 or so and I will check with several folks who might have some info on this truck.

18. kb cookout

kb cookout

Thanks!! k9racer ,

Here's a few more pics when we got it to Indiana and cleaned in up and fit a 283 into it. All the body work was done in lead.. I talked to the PO family they all rembered it being in primer , we found paint layers of green, red, white and purple being the last color under the primer

thanks kb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Nice piece of custom history!! I hope you find out more info on it!!!im looking forward to seeing where this goes!!

20. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

That's really cool. I have no info, but hope you can track it down. Somebody will remember it since it had to be SO different around this area of the country.

21. Awesome score

22. kb cookout

kb cookout

Kyle (k-boy) should be back on line this week and we can start a "rebuild" thread on the truck.

Thanks for all the help so far

Later kb

23. kb cookout

kb cookout

I added a few more old pics of the truck.

If anyone is going to the Birmingham AL car show this week please ask around about it.

Thanks for all the help !!!

Later kb

24. jd55f100

jd55f100
    from alabama

If its from the west side of Birmingham you might want to call lee hurley from HESCO their shop has been around for years they may have some info.....If not track down Sam Fillipo(spell) from Rocco and Cheaters....Two of the best speed shops in the Birmingham area ...Hesco is still in Business

25. Not much of a pic up guy but that one is just killer! Congrats on finding it n hope that steerin wheel stays in it bad as hell!

26. kb cookout

kb cookout

Still looking for info on it.
    And
    Thanks for all the help so far

later kb

27. S.F.

S.F.

COOL TRUCK!!!!!!!!! dig it

28. kb cookout

kb cookout

Still looking for info

Thanks for all the info we have recived so far

later kb

29. fleet-master

fleet-master

Very very cool pickup!!! I hope you can find more info on it too. Have you or Kyle started a build thread on it as yet? I for one would love to follow along as I'm building an F1 with a similar flavour. :)

30. kb cookout

kb cookout

Here's some pics from last week, we should have it up and rolling soon and then we can get back to body work, Still looking for info on it

later kb

Attached Files: