Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to skin a hot rod roof?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by [email protected], Jan 5, 2013.

1. tssully67@gmail.com

[email protected]

Can anyone help me with info on how to put a roof on my 1930 Essex sedan? Thinking maybe removable, Has anyone done this? or weld in steel a better choice? Any and all shared knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Tim

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  2. That's a pretty vague request. Post some pictures of what you have now so we know what you're working with.

"Help us help you".

3. tssully67@gmail.com

[email protected]

4. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

one more time

5. tssully67@gmail.com

[email protected]

OK cant drag an image in, cant cut, copy, paste an image. cant put file name in to insert image, Ill put it as my avitare.

6. Keep

Keep

Click reply.

under "Additional Options" click "manage attachments" upload your pic.

7. tssully67@gmail.com

[email protected]

:eek: phone pics 544.jpg I set the firewall back a little, it drives nice, I put a 4bar in back, glass, fenders, roof, might get to cruise this summer.

phone pics 719.jpg I chopped a model A windshield frame to fit

phone pics 628.jpg do you build braces under the roof before welding sheet metal in? Has anyone made a removable top?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  8. Keep

Keep

Sweet looking Sedan!

Is there still any framework in the roof?

9. Measure front to back side to side,find an older car junkyard look at sta wag and 4 door roofs.May or not need bracing depending on type of roof.When you weld it in use butt joints not lap.

10. belair

belair

mini van roofs get used a lot. removable sounds difficult, gimmicky, and leaky.

11. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I used a ford astro van roof flipped reverse. It had the ribs and I blended it into the visor. If you drive it alot, you will get caught in the rain with the removable insert, and chances are you will get wet.

Attached Files:

12. tssully67@gmail.com

[email protected]

Nice T-bucket,(Keep). Love that independent rear suspension! Good idea with the ribbed astro van top. No braces needed, reinforcement built in. Yes I live in Washington State and if you dont drive in the rain you dont drive much. Fenders and a roof are a must. maybe a sunroof? Thanks

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

What is wrong with the original vinyl roof insert? It would be the easiest and will last for 20 years or more. Longer if you park in a garage.

They had the wooden framework, covered it with chicken wire, then cotton padding. Staple some muslin (thin cloth) over the padding. Push the padding around with long needles until the roof is nice and smooth. Then fit the vinyl. Seal around the edge with butyl sealer.

14. Anderson

Anderson

You used a Ford Aerostar or a Chevy Astro roof?

15. tssully67@gmail.com

[email protected]

16. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

As stated
    Search wrecking yard … almost any s/w or van is a good start.
    Avoid
    Welding it down to any cross bracing … big problems during temp. changes.

17. Demono

Demono

I used the roof from a mid 80s suburban on my Essex coupe. Plenty of metal there for your sedan and the ribs are nice as well.

18. You could use a donor roof skin or best would be to make or have one made with the correct crown for your sedan. When we do em we butt weld the skin with a tig so we can work the weld. It's tough because a low crown panel is going to want to move.

We made a removable skin for a 5 window recently by creating a new roof channel/gutter and then tipping the edge of the skin & making a side frame work to fit into the gutter. Crazy amount of work!

Attached Files:

19. tssully67@gmail.com

[email protected]

Very nice work Rocket, What holds the top in?

20. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

I installed a skin I bought from Waldens Speed in Pomona CA, it fit so good, really made install smooth

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Sorry I forgot about this. It has nuts welded inside the roof side of the channel & wing screws from the bottom.

22. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Looks good Riley, does the panel clip in? Unfasten the clips and remove the panel?

23. I'm also looking for a skin on my coupe's roof, especialy during winter which can be cold here:p
    from my side, since I replaced my top wood last year, I will consider as a crime to hide it below the skin so I will most probably make a removable roof.
    Here are the details of Bass' build on his A coupe :
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5424390&postcount=144

24. I'll have to see if I can find some pictures. If not the car will be back soon & ill get some then.

25. Jims35

Jims35

I used a ribbed one from a 57 ford 4 dr. passenger car. Narrowed down and reversed end for end . Yeah ford parts on a chevy car.:D

Attached Files:

26. found a decent picture of the gutter profile when finished. I drew up what the roof skin side looked like because I didn't have a good shot & I'm not sure how soon the car will be back from the owner/painter. I can draw up the gutter profile if also needed.

Attached Files:

27. tssully67@gmail.com

[email protected]

Ok! Went to local wreaking yard and found a 1980 Volvo station wagon roof and it fits perfect. Tack welded in, fenders hung, Thanks for the tips. might be cruisin this summer.