Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there a quality BRUSH on primer out there?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by powmia, Feb 10, 2013.

1. powmia

powmia

So I have to leave home for work and I'll be gone for a few months and have to leave my bare metal roadster in a shop until I get back. I just invested a ton of time into getting it straight and really want to stop any rust that might come. Unfortunately I don't have any sort of air setup right now to spray anything. What would you guys suggest I seal it with that will protect it and make it easy to work with when I get back? I was going to do Eastwood epoxy primer and just roll it on with a small foam roller. What are your thoughts? It's in New Mexico so the air is dry but the storage is a barn type building with open ends.

2. epoxy would be good, but foam roller will dissolve.

3. ml_engr

ml_engr

HF has a cheap turbine HVLP setup. I have used it for shooting primer and it works well. Think it cost me $80 or so.

4. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

5. metal man

metal man

Are you going to remove it later,or is it going to stay? If it is going to stay, don't use anything other than a good epoxy primer. No reason you can't brush it.

6. There is a quality roll on primer, to get away from VOCs.

7. GREASER815

GREASER815

You have any rental places? You could buy a cheap $30 gun and rent a compressor for the day and prob not have $100 in it.

8. powmia

powmia

I'll more than likely strip it when I get back anyway. Dont really want to, but I leave in a few days and dont really have the extra time to go buying the tools or renting stuff. If I can protect it for a few months it's worth the work later on to take it off right? I'd rather spray, but as far as I know there are no quality epoxies available in rattle cans.

9. metal man

metal man

Well, if you are going to strip it, you may as well use rattlecans. The rattlecan stuff will wash off with laquer thinner when you get back, but it will protect it for a few months.

10. You can roll primer on, shops do it in order to comply with not spraying coatings on the shop floor. PPG has a killer direct to metal epoxy in their industrial coatings division that is it table and sands like butter. Any auto paint jobber that sells PPG should be able to get it and it' very reasonably priced

11. ssaahemifan

ssaahemifan

you could wipe it down with metal prep or a oshpho type product.

As long as you don't touch it bare handed or it gets rained on it will last a long time before it rusts.

I know you said building is open but your humidity is low ? right?

Otherwise try PPG SX1060

12. yep,wipe it down with a metal prep.will seal it for a while from rust and convert any starting rust.home depot sells jasco product.I use it alot and it works great.

13. Weasel

Weasel

Rust Destroyer from Home Depot. I swear by this stuff. Brush on is better than rattle can as it lays on thicker. I have stuff protected for years with this and I have painted over clean metal - none better IMO....

RUST DESTROYER PRIMER GALLON, Whether it's a home barbecue or a major suspension bridge that needs sprucing up, you can turn to RUST DESTROYER®, a product so unique it is the only solvent-based non-toxic, patented, USDA-approved, FDA-approved universal base rust converting paint primer with a 5 year guarantee. With all the "rust converting" products and metal primers, why should you buy RUST DESTROYER® You should not be forced to buy a separate primer or rust treatment for each specific job! RUST DESTROYER® the patented universal paint primer, and rust converter does it all! One SKU. Lets you avoid confusing your customers. RUST DESTROYER® is so unique it is patented. Is non-toxic, USDA and FDA approved. Is heat resistant up to 800of. Has a Five-Year Guarantee. You don't have to pour RUST DESTROYER® into a separate non metal container, as most others say. RUST DESTROYER® can be applied by brush, roller, conventional spray or airless spray. RUST DESTROYER® will work on: clean steel. rusty steel. zinc galvanized metal. hot dip zinc galvanized metal. core tan steel. aluminum. tin. previously painted surfaces. great for barbecues. No special surface treatment needed. No sanding or deglossing needed, on glossy surfaces. Remove the loose flakes, have a paintable surface, apply product. RUST DESTROYER® is a self etching primer that "bites" into the previously painted surface.

[​IMG]

14. tinwizard

tinwizard
    from Northwest

Hmmmm ..... so how much a gallon is the stuff? And can it go on over other primers and not turn it into a bubbled mess? What about after this has been on a while .... what will go on over it and not have problems also?? IF it can be on any surface and allow resurfacing with most anything later .. it almost seems too good, and that would be great!!

Regards,
    Tinwizard

15. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Any automotive paint supply store will have rollers that won't come apart. I have used them on several occasions with DP epoxies on small areas.

16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If the car is indoors wipe the bare metal with oil and it will keep for weeks or months. Grease even longer.

You will have to wash it off with gas and Prepsol before you primer and paint.

17. no55mad

no55mad

Zinc Chromate - used it with the cheap low nap 3" rollers. Transfer the paint to a squeeze bottle, squeeze out some paint and roll it out.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  18. 3340

What Rusty O Toole Said.

19. Napa has some spray on green etch primer. Sorta high.....Second thought PeP boys was cheaper. Don't remember the brand.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. with tax looks like just shy of $100 a gallon.

22. Normbc9

Normbc9

There are still are a few quality old time auto finish brush painters out there. Look in the Restorers sites. Some still advertise. This is a sample of that work.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

23. Just use rattle can zinc chromate, goes on thin almost transparent. You don't need to put a heavy coat on or spray bomb metal etch. Metal etch is pricey thou.

24. jesse1980

jesse1980

Just use rattle can primer if your taking it off anyway.