Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Local Hobby Shops

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shemp, Feb 5, 2013.

1. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

T,G&Y.lakewood,calif. had a model show as well late 50's,early 60's .AMT $2.00 .mowed alot of lawns

2. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

D&J was my spot back in the day! I went back a couple years ago when I went down for a Gene windfield workshop at Gambino's. It was awesome! Brought back some good memories, I grew up just down the road by forest hill where I went to school.

3. swi66

swi66

Back in the 60's and Early 70's small towns were pretty much self contained.
    I grew up in Akron NY.
    In the Villiage was a Theater, a bowling alley, 3 car dealers, 2 drug stores, 3 barber shops, several bars, a women's clothing store, a magazine store(comic books, and car magazines) a Variety Store(5&10), several restaurants or diners, appliance and home furnishing store, and yes a hobby shop!
    I used to get all my slot car and model car stuff there, also model rockets. It actually was the Western Auto turned into Farrell's Hobbys.

But along came malls, and K-mart, and the small businesses in small towns died off.

At one time you could get everything you needed "in town" and did not need to travel out of the villiage for your needs.

4. Pasta

Pasta

Bob's Hobbies on Wood Ave in Bridgeport, CT had a slew of model car kits back in the 60's and 70's. They held a model car contest every summer, and my older brother Gary won several trophys including "Best Paint" in 1969.
    We would pedal our bikes up there at least once a day to see the new entries behind the glass display case. God, where did those days go?
    Bob's has LONG since closed down, and is currently replaced with a hair salon. :(

Memories.

George

5. Deuces

Deuces

It sucks when that happens......
    Not one hobby shop in Dearborn, Michigan..:mad::rolleyes:
    Something wrong with that....:(

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Oh wow great memories. Before mail order hobby shops!!! We had 2 within bicycling distance. One way to old Hyattsville and the other way to PG plaza. A state of the art open air shopping mall. I bought a 58 Chevy long bed pre assembled P/U. at the one in Hyattsville. A bunch of the AMT and Johan hobby kits. I still have lots of modle car parts.
    Now I guess it's Wal Mart.

Local hobby shops are like local speed shops most have gone the way of the Dodo Bird. Sad but true.

7. Deuces

Deuces

We had an S.S. Kresgi's and Federal's dept. store on Schaefer Rd. that sold model kits back in the day.... Also had a Kaufman's(sp) on Warren Ave. in Detroit that sold kits as well...
    All three went belly up at some point...:(:mad:

8. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

9. Deuces

Deuces

10. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Late 60's through the 70's was a magical HOBBY SHOP time for me. Hell, I STILL have the occasional dream where I stumble across a dimly lit hobby shop that I must've simply forgotten about, full of 24th scale slot cars goodness, and bitchin' 24th and 25th scale hot rods, cubbies full of raw plastic stock and metal bits and pieces. Old timers talking shop in the back ground. Then I awake and, well, time to make the coffee and join the real world. You know, the real world with less and less appreciation for making things by hand?
    Different time boys and girls...I think this HAMB thing is important to many of us aging kids for that reason.

Hobby shops on the NW side of Phoenix, back then, were very common, from larger chains to the best ones, the Mom and Pop shops.

Hobby Bench is still around but I fear for their existence. Hobby Lobby, well sucks. Huge, brightly lit stores with two or three isles (out of a hundred or so) of interest for myself.

....and.....model kits cost upwards of 25 bucks now. Not much gas money or time that I can afford towards my old hobby anymore (or for the past 20 years or so, for that matter).

Oh well, I'm hanging '37 fenders today....life goes on!

11. Deuces

Deuces

We don't even have a Michael's or a Hobby Lobby in Dearborn....:(:mad::rolleyes:
    That really pisses me off...:mad:

12. Pharouh

Pharouh

Yep, It's another one one of those 'things that used to be'

I miss them too. I remember when grocery stores and drug stores used to sell models. I don't mind buying online,but it was nice not to pay $7 to $10 shipping.:(

13. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

About 1950-51 I think there was a very large one in Hollywood called Reginald Dennys I believe. My Grandparents would take me there-they bought me a couple of tether cars and ran them for me--I was too young to play with them. My Grandmother also bought me a Lionel train set there when I was about 4--still in the attic-haven't looked at it in 25 years.

14. LFS11

LFS11

J and M hobby on Laurel Street in San Carlos was and is still great. Still almost exactly the same with the same family running it I believe. Check it out if anyone is close.

15. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

Grew up in Pittsburgh PA, best hobby shop around was AB Charles on West Liberty Ave. They had it all and they would have two or three model car contests per year. They were also big in Lionel Trains.

16. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Dueces,

About 20 miles to model cave hobby from Telegraph.I take Mi.ave. all the way to Huron street.

p.s. HobbyLobby at Telegraph&Eureka in Taylor.If your planning to shop there, signup online for weekly 40%off discounts.That's the only way I'll buy a kit there.

17. Deuces

Deuces

The Hobby Lobby would be closer... There's also one in Canton on Ford Rd. near where I used to work.... I think there's a Micheal's on Ford Rd. also in Canton... Not sure about that one..