Register now to get rid of these ads!

Outlaw Performance fiberglass body

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by panhead1961, Feb 9, 2013.

1. panhead1961

panhead1961

Just checking to see if anyone has an Outlaw Performance car or know of someone that is building one? I have a few questions..

2. Moedog07

Moedog07

People on here will tell you that fiber glass bodies are NOT old school but GM was building them in the 50's...

3. panhead1961

panhead1961

I've had both....... just happens fiberglass is what I have now.
    Thanks

4. Ha ha!!?? Yeah. Old School and shit.

5. I've know several guys that have built them in the last 20 or so years.

as far as Glass body's go they were pretty nice. HRP

6. panhead1961

panhead1961

Thanks Hotrodprimer... I have heard good things about Outlaw and they have been VERY helpful on the phone!
    This car was built in 1998 and never been on the road. Roger Ausley from Ausley's Chevelle ordered the car and it was sold a few times before I found it. Most of the parts were with it except the grill shell and some other small stuff. I think it will make a decent car when done.
    [​IMG]

7. Fenders

Fenders

I guess a 55 Corvette is shit?

Panhead that looks pretty nice.

8. panhead1961

panhead1961

Thanks Fender!!

9. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Built one ,3 window,tough as nails,you will be very pleased,One thing bout a glass car when its done it will look nice along time,not worth as much,but makes a good hot rod.Outlaw bodies have a tag in the gelcoat on the driver side up under the cowl on the inside .

Attached Files:

• 33fr.jpg
      33fr.jpg
      File size:
      6.3 KB
      Views:
  10. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I have done 2 of their Willys body's #24 & #25, great people to deal with, nice glass body's. Only complaint were the door hinges, to weak so we built our own. As with any glass body I reinforce the inside of all fender lips to give them more strength and feel.

Attached Files:

11. panhead1961

panhead1961

Thanks Carlos
    Having a tuff time getting the PW in the doors. The car was ordered without them installed. I can't seem to find the right u channel glass run. Ordered a different size last week, hope it works.

12. panhead1961

panhead1961

Thanks brigrat... good tip on the fenders! NICE looking car!

13. I have had steel body's and glass and have been building early styled Ford cars since the mid 70's.

I've had 2 Gibbon glass bodied cars, a 32 3-window,a 39 Ford convertible and Westcott 32 Roadster and I enjoyed each and everyone of them.

Your always going to have the Richard Cranium Glass hatters that have to tell you your car don't measure up to their standards,,don't sweat it!

Whenever I was asked if my roadster was steel or glass,I asked them can't you tell?,,they usually consider themselves experts.

My roadster ain't real steel but it sure was real fun! HRP

14. Who cares? That's what I was saying. I've seen plenty of okay glass cars.

15. Adding one of the :) or :D at the end of the sentence helps project the intended meaning. HRP

16. Right. Ha ha

17. panhead1961

panhead1961

Right Crash....That's what I think. I like both steel and glass. I had a sweet orig body
    32 Plymouth PB 3 w rumble seat car. Loved it! Had a glass 32 Ford 3w hiboy made by a guy in Tennessee but never got it on the road, sold it. I hope to drive this one!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  18. redhumphries

redhumphries

the problem with glass cars is that the doors are made in 2 pieces, an inner and an outer. At the factory they put the glass in the door and put all the mechanicals in and then they put the inner piece together. Tough to change a glass and really impossible to change the door latch without doing some damage. Im finishing a 34 outlaw coupe now and have had very little problems with the car just some aftermarket parts. If you are trying to put the glass in make a wedge of wood and force it into the opening enough to get clearance for the glass. If its the motor or brackets then find someone with small hands to help you get inside to tighten bolts. Hope this helps RED Good luck with the car.

19. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

So what questions do you have?

20. panhead1961

panhead1961

Thanks guys... good info Red!

I was able to get the glass down in the door but had to cut access holes to get the felt channel in the metal tracks. The felt I had was a little wide and a bitch to get in the metal channel. I ordered a different size but not sure it will bend at the top of the frame. May have to notch it to make the curves. If the new felt works I think I can get the motor in the door will have to take the track and motor apart and reassemble in side the door.
    Fitting the dash on today, tried the garnish mldg, can't figure how it will ever work. Starting to think someone in the owner chain bought something other than Outlaw mldg.

21. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Spent more time redoing, cutting and splicing the Willy's front and rear window moldings than I did building the motor and that's not exaggerating...........

22. panhead1961

panhead1961

Was that an Outlaw car? I had a buddy that bought an A and C Willys and he had very little issues with it.

23. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Outlaw Willys body's #24 & #25.....................

24. panhead1961

panhead1961

Wow...that's the first time I've heard anything like that about Outlaw. Guess all of them will have issues at some time or other.

25. I tell people to buy glass...Leaves more steel for me....:rolleyes:

26. panhead1961

panhead1961

Hey Hitch..I hear ya! I've had lots of steel but to be honest I got soooo tired of cutting rust and patching this and that. Thought I would go glass for a while.

Love steel cars tho

27. There is nothing wrong with glass either. I'm not hating. Just being a smart ass....

28. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

25-30 years??