Register now to get rid of these ads!

tranny for v4

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Grem304, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Grem304

Grem304
    from Virginia

Anyone know of a transmisson, bellhousing (non FWD) that will bolt to a Saab V4? Got a 1/2 scale Topolino that I think it would look good in.

2. Thunderroad312

Thunderroad312

I know that the Saab V-4 and the Ford German V-6 used in RWD Capri's,MustangII, Pinto, and Ranger pickups are the same archetecture. Just a different # of cylinders. So one could extrapolate that the bellhousing pattern might be the same. Have a little stroll around your local 'pick-n-pull' and check for yourself.Let us know what you find.

3. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yep...

I've heard people build V6 Saabs that way too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_bellhousing_patterns

( look at the list of Taunus Patterns)

BTW, not what you were asking...

But why mess with that horrible engine?

I had one in a daily driver, long time ago, and I hated it.

Other than the short total length, it has nothing going for it, IMO.

Id rather move a firewall that put up with one of those engines again...

4. chrisser

chrisser

I would do some homework first, but this thread:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136387

post 9 says that the Saab V4 has the same bellhousing as the Ford Cologne V6.

If that really is the case, then you've got a lot of transmission possibilities in a place like Pull-A-Part that has late model vehicles. Any 4.0 Ford V6 in a Ranger or Explorer is a potential trans donor candidate and my local PUP is full of 'em, especially since those were prime cash for clunkers tradeins.

I happen to have an M5od (manual 5-speed) out of a '95 Explorer (OHV 4.0 V6) sitting in my garage for a future project. It's the 4x4 version, but the bellhousing end is the same.

Be happy to snap a pic or take some measurements if it would help - just post here or send me a PM if you need it.

5. Grem304

Grem304
    from Virginia

Thanks all for the replies. Will have some time this week to check the local yards and see what they have.

"BTW, not what you were asking...

But why mess with that horrible engine?

I had one in a daily driver, long time ago, and I hated it.

Other than the short total length, it has nothing going for it, IMO.

Id rather move a firewall that put up with one of those engines again..." <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Okay, first off I have one, never had any problems with it other than the fuel pump leaking. The only real problem I ever had with the Sonnett it came out of was the freewheel in the transmission. Second, the Topolino in full scale is small enough but half scale is Real Small, plus the V4 looks about half scale of the small block Ford.
    Third, I think it would make a nice fit without cutting the body up too much. But mostly for the look I want.

Just building it for a father son project, give us some quality time together and teach him some skills. If things don't fit the way I want I have a couple other options to fall back on. 82 Honda CB750 or could go with a 78 R21 Toyota with twin webers and a 5 speed.

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

How can anyone FIT into a 1/2 scale Topolino ????? :)

Ray

7. 73RR

73RR

...maybe a ½ scale person....(thinking of a 12 y.o....):p

8. I believe the Saab V4 is actually the same as a Ford V4 that was found in the UK Corsair - both horrible underpowered engines at 2litres - A 2.0 Pinto is more powerful and about 50% of the weight...

As mentioned by others the Cologne (EU) V6 bellhousing works, that you can add a manual box to or a Borg Warner 35 or 65 slush box