Register now to get rid of these ads!

Johnson's Hot Rod Shop Kinmont Brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flyingpan, Jan 29, 2013.

1. [​IMG]

I'd take these any day. And I can make them myself!!

2. [​IMG]
    real vintage brakes.how much would your streat creds go up if you run these babies?

3. M.Edell

M.Edell

4. Like in Australia, where in some circumstances (depending on the state or engineer) disc brakes are mandated, so disc brake setups like these become an unwanted compromise, not a aspirational purchase.

5. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

What's not to like about these brakes, vintage looks, likely much better stopping power and they don't cost $10,000.00 dollars ,I'm all for traditional looks,but these puppys would be on the front on my car imho, thank you !

Fordor Ron likes this.
  6. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

You don't have to do that with the Rowdys version.

7. 55willys

55willys

Haven't heard of those. Interested in those not for myself but for all the customers who want that stuff. Always looking for new and interesting, and vintage stuff.

8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Rowdys version is now sold by Obriens, although its been altered slightly.

Here are mine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. You don't have enough thread engagement on the bolts retaining the backing plates to the spindles. Longer bolts that leave at least a couple threads past the nuts would be advised.

10. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Well spotted but these are build pics, the bolts got changed a long time ago. the bolts that came with Rowdys setup were all a bit short, probably because the backplate being aluminium is much thicker.

11. ABARTH

ABARTH

an earlier poster mentioned the problem with bleeding the so-cal Buick kits--these Kinmonts from Johnson don't have any of those problems. you don't have to take everything apart to do the job, so said the guy in the Johnson booth. And no HAMBer will ever have to worry about how the old Kinmonts perform--they're closer to $15K-20K if you can find them.

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Haven't we been buying fake (repop) parts for years, whether they are "working" Buick drums or faux backing plates to cover up disc brakes, for their period look? You'd think we would have gotten over it by now. Gary

13. ruutihattu

ruutihattu
    from Finland

Nice disc covers.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. slammed

slammed

If you don't bring them up/post them up (faux anything) no will know or care. And that worn out phrase 'build what YOU want' is fine as long as it is HAMB friendly ie posting it :)D!) on the HAMB.

15. Steadfast mfg

Steadfast mfg

You run a new reproduction radiator so it wont blow out 2 hours away . New tires so the tread wont separate from the casing at 70mph. New antifreeze and oil to help protect the engine internals . New paint so the old body wont rust. I guess you gotta draw a line some where . My cars have to stop well because deuce grill shells are not cheap.

16. i would run them if i could swing the dough and needed a new brake set up......
    I like the way they look and disc's stop better than drum.....

17. flathead okie

flathead okie

HELL YEAH.....too good :D:D:D:eek:

18. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

hahahaa

19. those brakes look real nice steve,never seen them on your build thread.

20. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I give Johnson's Perfection Parts an A+ for engineering and design. I love everything they make. People who want to use only the original stuff are really just trying to keep the build period proof. I like the new stuff that looks like the old stuff but due to modern technology works far better and is much safer. If you drive you cars on the freeway in SO-CAL then you should have real good brakes, especially if you have 400 hp under the hood.

Hot rodding has always been about innovation and the use of modern parts on old cars. Johnson has grown his business over the years by doing just that. Keep those parts coming as I want something that stops me in a hurry. Now I need to go back to work.

Here is a photo of a young man who is building his dream using Johnson's Perfection Parts. I am an old man who loves Halibrand QC's and 36 bones, but this set up is far superior in my mind.

Attached Files:

anthony myrick likes this.
  21. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

well said

22. Same set as on my coupe, I was the sole importer of Rowdys stuff into UK/Europe before he sold up to O'Briens.

As Steve says no bleeding issues and I've been running them for nearly 4 years

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

23. basicbob

basicbob

I'm glad Johnson's Hot Rod Shop continues pushing new products. Alan is way too smart to think these brakes are for everyone, perhaps Alan just wanted products for his own hot rod or his customer hot rod builds.

Most high end rod shops never create anything new, only bolt on new stuff. Congrats Alan!!

Most F-100 brakes or Wilson Welding brakes will fit me fine, I'm too old & slow!

24. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

They look really cool too me!.......not exactly like originals, but who said they were supposed to be. If you want the exact original look just spend 10k and get a set.

25. anna kinmont mcnamara

anna kinmont mcnamara
    from california

Hey all!!.....Just steppin out to see who may have information on the Kinmont sure stop disc brakes...William KINMONT is my grandpa....

26. Im not a fan of fake parts to cover or fool things, but its more the price tag that would stop me from funning these than anything else.

27. HELL YES !! Who, what, when....please ??