Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lurking HAMBER, needing advice

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Macstoy, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Macstoy

Macstoy
    from Alaska

My name is John all my friends and co-workers call me Mac, currently stuck in Afghanistan on my 5th deployment. I've been in the Army for almost 15 years and I am stationed in Washington state.

I've been doing the muscle car thing and drag car thing for years as I grew up with my dads old 70 T/A Challenger. So fast forwarding to today I kinda grew up (a little) and wanted to dive into something a little more unique.

So I think I have located a 53 Merc from a member here, I am still looking in case it isn't there when I redeploy.

Metal work is done, hood scoop opened and extended, 59 caddy tail lights, airbags new 302/AOD airbags etc. It is in bare metal right now. I want to keep it as a 50's traditional style hotrod style. wanting to go gloss/flat black not sure yet with a old school flame paint, wide whites, red wheels etc.

What I need is some input on wether I should chop the top at all? or any other ideas about paint jobs or styling from some hotrodders on here.

Please post up on here or links to other threads here on the message board, if there are any other 53/54 Mercs in the Pacific Northwest please let me know.
    I don't have a ton of time to search due to the nature of my job, again I think i have one found and I have been in contact with this member and I am hoping it is still there when I get back, but I can't drop cash on something from here so I can't ask him to hold it for me.

Thanks for the help/advice and look forward to meeting some folks once I get back and get building on my rod.

Thanks Mac

2. dad-bud

dad-bud

Hi there Macstoy,
    Thanks to you and servicemen from all countries (especially Australia from my perspective) for doing what you are to help protect our way of life.
    Nice intro too.
    As for asking for other people's ideas on how you should build your car, you might want to spend as much time on here looking at what's already on here (there'd be years and years of study ahead of you, if you really wanted). That way, you'll end up with the car you want rather than what others want.
    Listen to their advice, but make up your own mind, is all I'm suggesting.
    Anyway, keep safe and those around you too.
    Welcome to the HAMB
    Cheers.

3. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Thank You for your Service.I would google 53 Mercury chopped and Kustom and stock and study them for yourself.Many times I'll go to a show or see a car somewhere with some altercation done and say man that is gross,then see the same style done right and it's like wow.39-40 Mercury is one that I have either loved or hated.

4. Hats off to another service member, thank you for your sacafices and welcome to the HAMB!

5. Macstoy

Macstoy
    from Alaska

Hey thanks to all of you, as for the car. I love the look of the 53's chopped just a bit 2"-3" I don't want to try and go too low as the mercs are already a long car. I was reading a forum about a 54 ford and he built his as he said "his way and to hell with what others think"
    I guess I am trying to capture the 50's hot rod style the best I can, I emailed the HAMBer that has the car and it sounds like I will have a shot at it when I get back. I'm gonna be doing a metric a!@ ton of research on here as well. I was just hoping for some feed back from here as most of you all are into or have been into this for some time. I don't want to say this the wrong way but I want the car to look like it just came from the fifty's after some hotrodders got ahold of it first of course!

I know I and all my Soldiers always appreciate the thanks for our service... so thanks again!
    Mac

6. Like the others have said, thank you for your service.

I haven't been into this scene for very long at all but I agree with you on the chop, 3 inches sounds like a perfect number. Although in my opinion the Mercs have not half bad lines stock, which is weird cause they're one of the most commonly chopped cars it seems. I'd go with a gloss black personally, I'm not a big fan of flat black unless its a work in progress. I'd switch out the flames for scallops cause in my opinion they look better but I do like red wheels! But like others have said, its your car so do it how you want to! :eek:

7. ccrodder

ccrodder

Welcome Mac,
    With great respect...I say Thank You.

Be safe,
    Curt

8. Welcome to the H.A.M.B. enjoy the ride.....

9. kennyg1931

kennyg1931

Hello Mac I wanted to say Thank you for serving and it will all get better when you get home to play with that Merc I like them best unchopped THANKS AGAIN Kenny G.

10. lht

lht

thanks for serving our country i appreciate it.