Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for high end paint shop in California

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Famous For Nothing, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Dar73

Dar73

Yeah.. I think that junior guy also worked with a couple brothers... Harris or Barris.. Something like that. ;)

This thread is bizarre. First of all, anybody with a high end project, knows who the high end guys are. Second, if you have had bad experiences in the past with painters, it leads me to believe that your high end may not be as high as you would like to think. All the painters mentioned here are top notch. I have had the privilege of working with that Junior guy, and like the rest of the gentlemen mentioned they won't touch just any project that comes through the door. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit!

2. sub006

sub006

AIR for the last few decades Junior has been rebuilding and painting old Ferraris. Since the panels tended to be hand-bent over an artisan's thigh or knee in an Italian alley, it's little wonder many have fenders and doors of varying lengths or heights compared side-to-side.

Junior would take a year or more to strip the body and make the coachwork matching and symmetrical, then put back together and apply MANY coats of paint. The thick paint required special care, but looked better than great. Some of these metal and paint jobs ran into six figures, but he had a waiting list.

The man knew what he was doing, and customers were ecstatic with the results.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  3. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

4. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

I've been to Junior's shop a few times, the work they do there is astounding. He was working on a Duesenberg roadster that won Pebble Beach years ago, the paint & bodywork was just flawless.

The paint he did on the Hirohata Merc restoration is fantastic!

Attached Files:

5. Another vote for Darryl Hollenbeck at Vintage Color Studio, not only is his work some of the best in the country, but he's also one of the nicest people in the hot rod industry.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. Quote:
    Originally Posted by tedster
    Is it just me or does anyone else wonder about the OP when he comes on here and posts something like this? Where are these people coming from?

Agree ... a guy has all the money in the world and resorts to a free internet site to get critical information " Havent found a painter yet that I would use twice." ...probably never will either.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For your info, I told him to check out this site and if you took the time to read his intro you would know he has been lurking for a long while.

So, why is it not ok for someone to post a legitimate question on this board? I have reached out to this board to ask questions and to pick some brains. Tim was asking for opinions on a good quality painter that maybe he had not heard of. I'm sure there are actually some people on this board who have never heard of Gene Winfield or think his shop is still located in Modesto. Do we knock those people?

So ask yourselves, How did I end up on this board and why did I join? Hopefully you can offer some good advice and get some good advice.....

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  7. Go to Darryl Hollenbeck's Vintage Color Studio - he's the man that I would go to - neat guy - awesome work!

8. 34fordchop

34fordchop
    from California

Another vote for Vintage Color Studio.. Also Altissimo..

9. IRISH13

IRISH13
    from SoCal

Bernt Karlsson is over at 401k Car Club in Anaheim. Ive worked with this guy and he is a perfectionist. He's worked at Boyds, West Coast Customs, American Hot Rods, and also had his own shop. He does bitchin work.

10. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

If you want the best of the best, call Junior Conway at Junior's House of Color - 562/928-9890. I'm not sure he will take your car since his schedule is always tight and he's currently preparing a large car for Pebble Beach. Be prepared to spend a lot of money. He's in Bell Gardens, near Downey. Feel free to contact me if you would like to see several examples of his work.

I would also second the recommendation for Darryl Hollenbeck and add Tony Castellano of Palmdale.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  11. deucemac

deucemac

Junior's door jambs look better than most peoples exterior finish!

12. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Might have figured out that $15K wasn't going to get a CA Pebble Beach level paint job after all.

13. What he said.....

He painted the Barris Marc...and the recent AMBR winner.

14. Sage

Sage

Click the link in A32Flathead's link above and be ready for a surprise.
    Darryl's site has gone gold!

15. Will@SpeedNymphGarage

Will@SpeedNymphGarage

websites link is working for me :)

Id have to say, Ive seen some amazing stuff coming out of Vintage Color Studio
    :D

16. mopacltd

mopacltd

17. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

No matter who you pick you are going to be on waiting list with the big guys, might as well give it to a no name since you won't use him again..

18. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

XXL mentioned Earl Scheib....I have heard lately that, due to the economy, Scheib has had to cut down from one sheet of sandpaper per car to 1/2 sheet

19. What the heck is a "non budget, high end" hot rod? Those words aren't used on this board very often......:rolleyes:

20. Shifter

Shifter

21. I hear that Rotten Rodney is painting at Hwy 99 Hot Rods in Porterville. That's who I'd use, if I had your budget.

22. wolfie1961

wolfie1961

If you pull off the door panels you'll find better paintwork than most peoples exteriors!!!