Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 catalina build Super Duty clone

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jratz1966, Nov 6, 2012.

1. biscaynes

biscaynes

great build, can't wait to see it in paint! :cool:

2. Steelking22

Steelking22

Post #33,with the pdf attachment, TRBOMAX -- what a beautiful car that is. I especially liked the dash with 9 gauges that looked factory. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  3. I am running a 468 (built by SD Performance), TH400 and 3:23 rear gear in my factory 1966 "421" Catalina (2 door post). My goal was to see how quick I could make the car (and still appear totally stock) using cast iron exhaust manifilds, cast iron cyl heads and stock cast iron intake with single 4 bbl carb. Best time to date is a 12.71 et. and that is at 4200lbs (and that is with no power adders). I was happy with that number but not content. I want to see if I can get the Catalina into the low 12's or high 11's. So this past summer I have removed 300lbs from the car. I have been very careful to not change the stock appearance in any way so this took a bit of time and effort to figure out. This winter I am working on removing another 200lbs which should put me at 3700lbs and into the low 12's.
    I tried to upload a pic but it failed, sorry but you can see the car in my ALBUM.
    Look forward too seeing your car completed.

4. jratz1966

jratz1966

I was wondering about the 300lb diet also,my car was already a radio delete,I have all plates for heater delete.It has reinforcement behind bumper that I'm going to leave out,unless I go on a diet i'm not sure what else to remove.

5. jratz1966

jratz1966

Hey Jeff K,I've been looking for fiberglass for the 64 but haven't found any,I would like to find bumpers ,hood and deck lid.

6. jratz1966

jratz1966

Hey Guys been awhile since I've posted anything.been making progress,decided to take body off frame,sent frame out to have blasted and powder coated,body is ready for paint and will be in color next week,front clip,deck lid and doors are done.This started out to be a simple scuff and shoot,but once got into it and seen how clean the body really was decided to take it one step further.Can't wait to get paint on body and back on frame.wanted to have it done to put in basement at Detroit autorama buts not going to happen,should be ready for the hamb drags

Attached Files:

7. lawman

lawman

Great story and info fellow's. I remember those day's well.

8. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I like the idea of a factory race car look. I found an original "Drag Pack" optioned '65 Biscayne but the price was $65K, so I built my own using a '65 Biscayne with a 283 and 3 speed. When I was done, it had a 500 hp 454 and Richmond 6 speed. Good luck with the build, so far it looks good.

9. CARLOS8A

CARLOS8A
    from waukegan

Way different from what you are doing but hey what the hell heres my 64 catalina has the ventura package and when i bought it she came with a pontiac 400 with a 400 trans! well here she is!

64 photo shoot.JPG

10. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Nice rig!

11. CARLOS8A

CARLOS8A
    from waukegan

Thank you sir!

12. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

If you are still interested in wheel suggestions, when he was in high school in the early '70s, my brother ended up with my Mom's old car, a 1964 Catalina Safari wagon. It was maroon with a matching interior. Steelies and poverty caps were not in style then, so he saved his N
    nickels and dimes and bought a pair of Cragar S/S wheels for the front and chrome reverse wheels for the rear. With McCreary Road Stars on the front and Mickey Thompson Indy Profiles on the rear, it looked pretty bad-ass, like something you might see in the staging lanes at a drag meet. If they looked that mean on a wagon, I can just imagine how they would look on a two door!

13. jratz1966

jratz1966

Hey CARLOS8A,Thanks for posting the picture of your 64 it's badass,I thought about doing mine like yours but since mine a sedan I decided to go with factory race car look.

Hey BHfanGB,I have been knocking around the Idea of a skinny Cragar s/s up front and Chrome reverse and cheater slicks out back.U don't happen to have any old pics of you brothers wagon do you? I bet it looked tough as hell

14. CARLOS8A

CARLOS8A
    from waukegan

15. jesse1980

jesse1980

Nice Catalina, I have a 421 4 speed 63 Catalina I'm doing but my next car I have lined up is a 64 convertable Catalina. Great thread. My 64 will be white too!

16. BSL409

BSL409

Looking Good

17. Beautiful ride

18. triumph 1

triumph 1

Cool car. Looking forward to seeing it completed.

19. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

Man, I wish I did! I was in 8th grade at the time and didn't have a camera of my own, plus it never occurred to me the car wouldn't always be around. It sat in my parents' yard when he joined the Army, then he came home on leave with a '69 GTO and sold the Catalina. I saw it about a year later sitting outside of a gas station in a neighboring town, then it disappeared forever. Sorry I couldn't help with a pic!

20. Ghastly

Ghastly
    from DETROIT,MI

I looked at that car a few times. You could drive through the storage unit lot with out have a unit there. I am surprised someone didnt steal any goodies off of it. I wonder what they did with the firebird setting beside it.

21. jratz1966

jratz1966

Hey Guys,body is all painted,real happy with how it turned out,still have to wet sand and polish buts nice and straight,talked with powder coater today frame in in the oven,going to pick it up tomorrow cant wait to get chassis back together so I can get it under the body.

Attached Files:

22. BSL409

BSL409

Sure looks great

23. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Looking really good!!

24. jpnewlin

jpnewlin

25. GPdriver

GPdriver
    from N.E. Ohio

Please do everybody a favor and post a video when complete of the second burnout(first one is practice for you to enjoy in private) I know for one, I can't wait to see the completed project. By the way, nothin wrong with us "stockies", my wife says its' only a phase and I will grow out of it in time to do another hot rod one day.

26. jratz1966

jratz1966

Hey guys,it's been awhile since I've been able to work on Catalina,Had the frame blasted and powder coated.Did the fire wall and bottom side of car in SEM rust shield gave it a nice satin finish.got the body bolted back on frame and hung the doors,bringing it back to my house tomorrow so I can start plucking at it.I'm shooting for the meltdown drags if everything goes good I should be able to make it.I have to pull the front suspension back apart so can get arms coated and replace all bushings and ball joints.

Attached Files:

27. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

28. Super/Stock Poncho

Super/Stock Poncho
    from Missouri

Did this project ever get completed??? Cool build. Would like to see update if possible. My brother is doing a similar build with is 64 Catalina using a 421.

29. brut4s

brut4s