Register now to get rid of these ads!

37' Stude tadpole 3-wheeler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by turbostude, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

Actually, the spacers are temporary until the camber is determined, but, they are made of tubing identical to that used in your receiver hitch, and held in place by very expensive high grade bolts. They are thicker than any automotive frame I have welded on. In terms of materials, this is really the stoutest part of the build! The final look is still up in the air, but up close it will surely look....SAFE.

2. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

3. hellbuckle50

hellbuckle50
    from Mid TN

As the offical Clem Studebaker reinCARnation.... I am proud you decided to use a studebaker running gear...BUT DAMN IT MAN YOU FORGOT A WHEEL....WHAT THE IN THE SWEET SOUTH BEND ARE YOU THINKING!?!?!?!

4. Kinky6

Kinky6

I've seen this elsewhere on the net before. It got me thinking, how about a tadpole trike using a fenderless '28 Model A RPU frontend, with the straight axle, grille shell, and full hood, to the back of the cab, with a Harley engine, trans and rear wheel for power. Keep it a bit low for cornering ability, of course. Use the trans tunnel in the cab to duct airflow back to the engine. Either use the stock fuel tank or mount a small one under the hood.

You could whizz off two whole sets of purists with one vehicle! ;)

Practical? I dunno, but it sounds like I'd be fun to drive. :cool:

5. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

Try it, but experience has shown that the Harley is difficult to couple to a tranny because of the power delivery, which tends to break cranks in this configuration. Maybe study the new Morgan carefully, as they may have solved this problem.

6. Excellent! Nice to see some imagination at work......it will definitely be a one of a kind.

7. Reverborama

Reverborama
    from Minnesota

If you're building a hot rod and it doesn't offend someone, you're doing it wrong.

Ignore the lawn chair crowd and build what you want.

8. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

Well, more flour to grist! I have published Chapter 17
    http://tribaker.wordpress.com/chapter-17/

Since publishing, I have now added an electric water pump, the radiator, and all the appropriate hoses. Now to add a bypass to bring hot water to the LP converter. Expect Chapter 18 shortly as I am on a roll!

9. sololobo

sololobo

I came -- I saw -- I went -- interesting build. ~sololobo~

10. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

I too am building an "out of the box" Studie... I actually got told to just give up & scrap it :mad: when I posted early pics... photoshopped pics of what it was going to look like didn't seem to calm the natives much, even though I assured them no snowblower parts would find their way into my build, & I was planning on an old school hot rod theme

I swear some of these guys that buy their car already done, must think that everything looks pretty from day one... & if a newbie goes & posts pics of their build in the early stages, it is imeadiately a Rat Rod, because it's not wearing paint... sometimes in my trucks case... it's wearing 3 layers of pealing paint

I say... you go dude...

BTW... where are ya at... I'm in southern MN myself... got a few spare Studie parts if you are looking for anything

BTW#2... all those screaming aught to check out the website... after I did, I see you have more parts than I do :eek:

http://tribaker.wordpress.com/

really impressive

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  11. BLUMEANIE

BLUMEANIE
    from St. Louis

turbostude - I dig the ride and I dig the way you do things. :cool:

SUBSCRIBED!

12. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

Thanks guys. I'm in the Hopkins/Minnetonka area. Let me know if you are in town.

13. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

Two more chapters.....
    [​IMG]

14. ratman

ratman

Cant wait to see it finished. Good work

15. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

16. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

17. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

Chapter 22 just published....
    [​IMG]

18. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Hey

This is so cool! This is so odd!
    It's just my kind of out of the box thinking!

Place make more updates and fast B-)

19. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

Thanks. That's what I'm going for! I think it qualifies as a real "Hot Rod" by my definition of the word....making old stuff perform way better using modern ideas interpreted using your wits and your hands, not assembled out of a catalogue.
    Many think their "traditional" builds are hot rods. I call these hot rod replicas. New ideas are frowned upon in these cars. To me, bias ply tires and drum brakes are inappropriate on a true hot rod (according to my definition. They are just a poor option taken when a safer one was available....) Also, holding to my "rules", hot rod replicas are then also rat rods (rat rod = old vehicle purposely constructed using old unsafe tech). Let the bashing begin!

20. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

21. Scrambler1

Scrambler1

All I gotta say is Whaaaaat? Can I watch...this looks cool! Just found this ....like it!.Kev.

22. metal man

metal man

I like that Dictator dash panel.

23. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

I just discovered this project..... over and over I see 'rodders' who trash and bad mouth anything that's not normal, despite hot rods not being 'normal' to begin with. Morgans were fast little cars/cycles and the onlt difference is the size and CG...the Morgan's was VERY low.

The roadster in my avatar is one I built 38 years ago (still have it). ..the chassis is a VW, Corvair engine, the body scratchbuilt and covered with redwood strips. I've driven it cross country twice, did Americruise in 2000 and have several 'Dare to be Different' awards along with others.... love 'em!

My favorite quote, Teddy Roosevelt:
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”

Carry on! Can't wait to see it finished....

[​IMG]

24. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

Thanks so much Woodster. Those are some stirring and thoughtful words. They echo my sentiments! Really like the Woodster.

25. Dr. Frankensickle

Dr. Frankensickle
    from Kansas

I like the thing,build what you want.Don't look for sympathy or acceptance from this crowd or most others though.

26. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Some very creative ideas on the Stude.
    3 wheels means it has to be registered as a motorcycle, right?

27. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

I won't be asking "Does this make me look Fatt?" I think the technical guys (and gals) who look at it will appreciate what I've done. There are a lot of little things that don't look pretty or "traditional" which some of us groove on. Racing on the salt has molded me into concentrating on "zing". No room for "traditional" or "bling" there. I would have liked to have shown it to Ak Miller. His approval would have meant a lot.... He designed the LP mixer I'm using, and his wife Mary assembled it.
    [​IMG]

28. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

In Minnesota, at least, with three wheels, it is a motorcycle. The only cycle part on the thing is part of my favorite British bike "silencer"... the Dunstall Decible silencer. Otherwise, parts come from two dozen different cars. I have kept all the receipts and have titles from 3 donor vehicles. Legally, it only needs one headlight, no seatbelts and one brake! I'm not sure it needs turn signals. There is no helmet law here.

29. I have to admit when I first saw the description I thought, "oh no!!" But once I really looked at what you're doing, it changed to "what the hell, why not?" It looks to be well engineered. I look forward to seeing how this turns out. Go, man, go!

30. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Could use an old BMW shaft drive

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.