Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for the best brake line tube cutter tool, tired of the cheap ones at Napa

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55Thunderboy, Feb 8, 2013.

1. 55Thunderboy

55Thunderboy
    from NYC

I must have 4 cheap brake line tube cutters in my box and they suck especially after making a few cuts in stainless.

I want to buy the BEST cutter money can buy so i have it for life. No questions asked on this because have a crap tool just ruins the day with frustration

Can any of you guys suggest a name brand cutter or what i should be looking for?

2. chigger

chigger

Rigid tubing cutters. great tools with replaceable cutter wheels.

3. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

I've had my MAC Tools racheting tube cutter for 17 years, still works great!

4. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

yup---id do either one of those---or a snap-on cutter

5. 55Thunderboy

55Thunderboy
    from NYC

Guys is the Rigid a tool i can grab at Home Depot? Can any of you guys throw up a photo? I would like to have a tool with replaceable cutting wheels. How do those ratcheting ones work?

6. I probably have 5 cheap tubing cutters that have been regulated to the junk drawer of my tool box.

I now use a Rigid #15 tubing cutter a good friend gave me for my Birthday,,I told him "Thank you,but I have several tubing cutters".

His replied,"Yeah,I know but after using yours I decided you needed one that works!

I honestly didn't give it a thought as far as a inexpensive tool is concerned to accomplish it's seldom use,,And if the wheel ever stops cutting crisp and cleanly,I have 2 replacement wheels.

I will never need another tubing cutter and if a neighbor want's to borrow on,,I have a several in the aforementioned junk drawer!:D HRP

[​IMG]

7. 55Thunderboy

55Thunderboy
    from NYC

Thanks where can i grab one of these?

8. I believe you can get them at ace hardware,,they are about 30 bucks. HRP

9. rat nasty

rat nasty

Any good hvac supply house carries a good quality set of tubing tools

10. for brake/fuel lines i use a Ridgid #10

i've had it for so many years....maybe 30? goes to show if you buy quality tools they will last a lifetime or two

11. the-rodster

the-rodster

What about a flaring kit? I've went thru several of the 30-40-50 dollar ones.

Rich

12. 55Thunderboy

55Thunderboy
    from NYC

Guys i was looking just now at the Rigid it mentions it being rated copper and aluminum not stainless line, does it matter and does stainless kill the cutter wheels?

13. 55Thunderboy

55Thunderboy
    from NYC

Rich i got the new Eastwood kit its awesome il never use the other crap in myntoolbox again. Im so happy with the new flare tool

14. Certainly stainless is harder and will wear out a cutting wheel,,Personally I use regular brake line tubing from Napa and if I need to shorten a piece I use the rigid cutter and my SK Double Flaring tool.

I tend to think of stainless tubing as something that you use under the kitchen sink. :D HRP

15. gmc1941

gmc1941

HVAC supply house have available Stainless Steel cutting wheels for quality (imperial) cutters.

16. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I use the small Imperial "the imp" and its never let me down. Had it since 1987. So small you can hold it in the palm of your hand. ImageUploadedByTJJ1360342619.008266.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

17. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

I used to do a lot of SS brake lines/fuel lines and I found that the easiest way to cut the tubing was either vertical band saw or die grinder-cutoff wheel. The end of the line to be flared needs to filed-sanded-ground perpendicular to the tubing any way. If you don't get the flared end exactly 90 degrees to the tubing run it will leak. The line also needs to be de-burred on the I.D. and O.D.. For me it was just easier. Running nice LEAK-FREE SS lines is hard work and takes time and patience. I don't have either anymore.

18. Carter

Carter

After using every combination of crappy cutters, flaring tools, etc. for many years, I finally have a set up now that works like it should. Mastercool hydraulic flaring tool, a small Ridgid tubing cutter like the imp pictured above, a small flat file, and a tapered deburring tool.
    Makes brake line work much easier and less frustrating.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

19. ^^^ yep, they make a pretty good double flair tool as well.

20. chigger

chigger

most Rigid cutters #15 and above carry and extra wheel under the handle retaining screw

21. fsae0607

fsae0607

Ridgid brand cutter and tapered reamer here. Also use the Eastwood flare tool. Never had a problem.

22. Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

As carter said the Mastercool hydraulic set looks like the cats ass, but I've never used one. 71475 is the part number.

23. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

The ss will wear out wheels for a fact but more important than that,,,the flaring tool needs to be the real deal and I don't know if Rigid makes one for Stainless or not.

24. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus