Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Brecknock, Pa. 5-7-39
    Harvey Kreiser 8 valve rocker-arm Cragar.
    driver Jake Schmauch. Ran in Central Pennsy
    circuit.

photo/info- carl sweigart/joe heisler

2. Ted Kline in #30 Ebby Ebersole Dreyer/Riley.
    also in C. Pennsy Circuit '37 & '38.

photo/info - Sweigart

3. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

4. racer5c

racer5c

dammit dammit dammit I will be in CA the following week

5. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Have already warned everyone!

lol

Have a safe trip compadre.

6. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Jake and Pete Schmauch were from Tamagua Pa. Pete Schmauch at one time Wrote a news letter called Fronty Pete. I was lucky enough to get several issues. Tons of information. Ben Cook was a friend of the brothers Old Ben and Ben junior bought a beautiful Hillegass midget from Jake and they strched the railframe midget to a beautiful Sprint. Its in the barn.

Attached Files:

7. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

IMCA @ Nashville, 1966. Check out the signage. Looks like Hector Honore's #2 under the 7 up sign. From Jimmies Old Time Racing.

Attached Files:

8. easter

easter

If I had to guess the drivers in those cars I'd say from the right: Scratch Daniels, Hector's duece (maybe Jim M?), Jerry Richert, Dean Mast, Bobby Adamson, Daryl Harrison - not sure about the front row, but maybe Chuck Lynch on the pole? Again, this is just a guess. Maybe somebody out there knows for sure.

9. does anyone know the progress of the restoration of the SAFETY GLASS
    indy car(the car on the roof).
    mlight9

10. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Jake (the newspaper named him Jacob Schmack) had a mixed day: qualifying 3rd (tied with Bernell Seaman and Jake Pickler at 28.2"), he was only 5th in the fast heat, and retired from the second. Then he won the third heat, which does not seem to have qualified him for the main event, although his time for the ten laps (4'40.8") was the same as that of the winner in heat 2, Jack McNeal. Tex Artz was the man to beat, qualifying in record time (27.6") and winning the first heat (4'33.0"), but he dropped from the main on lap 21 due to an oil leak. Five laps later, it was Rex Williams 1st (12'05.8"), Lou Morrow 2nd and Jerry Donmoyer 3rd.

11. jimbslim

jimbslim
    from alaska

A friend's mom has this Jennings sprint car and we're looking for people that would know more about these race cars. Apparently this one was built in 1940 by Oliver Jennings and raced quite a bit back then.

Are there any clubs or interest groups that could offer up and knowledge or link to places to research.

or you can view photos larger here
    http://jimbenning.com/#/hidden/jennings/1/

thanks
    jim

Attached Files:

12. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

jimbslim
    looks like a ford v8 60 midget to me, not a sprint car.

13. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Jennings built some fine midgets. I never heard of him building any sprints.

14. kasultana

kasultana

All,

Been tracking more info down on the car. A few of you helped me find some info on it and with help of Alex Beam yesterday Bobby Allison came over to the shop to check the car out. He believes he may have driven it once. Story goes Armond Holley was fired as the driver one night. Bobby was hired to drive it. After a couple qualifying laps he blew the motor. So they fixed it and he had to start at the back of the pack. He ended up winning the race.

He's going to check it out for us to be sure since this happened in the early sixties, but, pretty darn encouraging.

Regardless of how it turns out Bobby was an absolute gracious guy, spent alot of time with my family and gave all my boys autographed pictures. My luck was bad as I had to be out of town for the visit but hope to meet him personally soon.

More to come but this old sprint car sure has made us some fantastic memories already. Mr. Allison sure is as great a person as he was a driver. I can't wait til we fire it up for the first time in the coming weeks.

Here's a couple pictures of Bobby in the shop and the autographs he did for the boys
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments --><FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG] [​IMG]
    </FIELDSET>

15. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR title="Post 8609866" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 align=middle width=125></TD><TD class=alt1>
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
    </TD></TR><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2>Today 06:01 PM</TD></TR><TR title="Post 8609721" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 align=middle width=125>slobitz</TD><TD class=alt1>Re: VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1969 and older only please.

<HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1>Jennings built some fine midgets. I never heard of him building any sprints. </TD></TR><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2>Today 03:42 PM</TD></TR><TR title="Post 8609275" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 align=middle width=125>Jim Nise</TD><TD class=alt1>Re: VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1969 and older only please.

<HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1>jimbslim
    looks like a ford v8 60 midget to me, not a sprint car.
    </TD></TR><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2>Today 03:22 PM</TD></TR><TR title="Post 8609210" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 align=middle width=125>jimbslim</TD><TD class=alt1>Re: VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1969 and older only please.
    <HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1>A friend's mom has this Jennings sprint car and we're looking for people that would know more about these race cars. Apparently this one was built in 1940 by Oliver Jennings and raced quite a bit back then.

Are there any clubs or interest <NOBR>groups</NOBR> that could offer up and knowledge or link to places to research.

or you can view photos larger here
    http://jimbenning.com/#/hidden/jennings/1/

thanks
    jim
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]Jennings</st1:City>, from the <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pKansas city </ST1:p</st1:City>area, built 17 midgets starting pre-war. Most were rail framed and V8-60 powered as is the pictured car. He much later did build a few tube framed cars and a few were Offy powered although the last one was a Chevy II.

<st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pJennings</st1:City> built rail frames were running well into the 1950's. He died in 1976 in his early 70's.

I did find reference to a <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pJennings</ST1:place</st1:City> built Fronty Ford Model T big car in the mid thirties.
    <O:p

I believe he built one of the many in/out gear change boxes that were sold for use in the midgets prior to later available, and widely spread use of quick change rear axles.
    <O:p

Would be interesting for jimbslim to have someone see what name might be on the box in this car.

16. jimbslim

jimbslim
    from alaska

Thanks for the midget vs spring car designation info and the tip to look for id on the in/out box. Will be making a trip to visit the car in late march and will add the gear boxto list of things to check. Anything else to look for while we're there?

Thx
    jimbslim

17. jimbslim

jimbslim
    from alaska

Thanks for the midget vs spring car designation info and the tip to look for id on the in/out box. Will be making a trip to visit the car in late march and will add the gear boxto list of things to check. Anything else to look for while we're there?

Thx
    jimbslim

18. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

I found my pics from Duquoin mile in the mid 70s are they to new for this thread? Sample pic of Grant King. Give me the ok and I`ll post the rest.

scan.jpg

19. Bill Chadbourne

Bill Chadbourne
    from Sonora Ca.

Go for it doesn't have a wing! Bill

20. Buildy

Buildy

I agree! Post away!

21. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

Ok here we go take a look and dont be to hard on me. I was about 13yrs old with a kodak instamatic having the time of my life. Some of them are from 75-78 i think, ENJOY !
    scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

scan0003.jpg

scan0004.jpg

22. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

Here is the rest of my pics. You can clic on them and them clic again to make them larger. Enjoy

scan0005.jpg

scan0006.jpg

scan0007.jpg

scan0008.jpg

scan0009.jpg

23. Bill Chadbourne

Bill Chadbourne
    from Sonora Ca.

24. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Thanks for the champ car pics. I enjoyed the trailers as much as the cars. Much cooler than today's big boxes.

Blacki-Suede

25. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Thanks for the champ car pics. I enjoyed the trailers as much as the cars. Much cooler than today's big boxes.

Blacki-Suede

26. gtxrider

gtxrider

Some even have the Ford Double Overhead Cam engines. Those old Champ Cars were beautiful!

27. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

28. trentesept

trentesept
    from Australia

Josh, any chance of some update pictures of the progress on the Miller??
    Detail shots are always fantastic, dry sump tank soldering work, steering boxes, engine mounts, carburettors and manifolds, steering column bearings,instruments, upholstery and the like.
    I am sure that those of us who are interested in 20's and 30's technological gains will be really appreciative.
    Did you ever think that the cars today could not be designed at all from a clean sheet of paper without building on the millions of hours of design and upgrade that have slowly brought about the progress in ideas.
    These are wonderful early stepping stones and I, for one, am always learning from them!
    Cheers Greg

29. pavementends

pavementends
    from Utah

1929 CDAN...thanks for the great pictures, love the open trailers, love the single axle trailers even more and love the lawn chairs in the cockpit of the 37 car. I remember putting my loading ramps inside the stock car as a means of hauling them.

30. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I've said it before and I'll say it again. These huge enclosed trailers have taken a lot of the romance out of racing. Same goes for the big garages. Remember when you saw a race car on an open trailer and, if you didn't recognize it, wondered who it was and where they were going? And when you saw a race car sitting outside most service stations during the day?