Register now to get rid of these ads!

possible 63 comet drag car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nickk, Jun 16, 2012.

1. nickk

nickk

To make a long story even longer I went over to a buddies house of mine today to go get a 460 for one of my cars. Well while standing there waiting for him to come out of the house I started looking at his 63 comet that he planned on putting a 460 in and straight axle under. I've known for awhile that he was debating on selling it, but never asked how much because I ASSUMED it was going to be pretty high since it was relatively dang nice. I've never really been into 60's cars much, although I have some, but I've wanted a early 60's comet for awhile. So I got talking to him about the comet (like I need one) and he said he'd love to sell it to me and would be willing to sell it for what he has in it. So the question was how much? 1,000 bucks takes the whole car with title, and a I beam axle out of a econoline (however its spelled) van. And for $1200 I can get all over the above plus a complete 302 with a AOD trans and a redone 289 (missing the crank) but new flat top pistons and the rest of the motor. To make a long story short that was a lot less money than I was expecting and pretty much can't get it off my mind. He told me since I'm trustful and he knows where I live I could even take it home today and pay him whenever. Sounds good but, I don't like owing money. So what my plans are to (and which he agreed) pay him a few large payments and pick it up when the debts settled. So it looks like here soon I may be doing a build thread on a 63 comet with a I beam axle. He also told me that this car was different from most comets because of the roof? Wasn't quite sure, because he said the roof line was like a falcon and they made a lot less of these. Anyways didn't quite understand all that so if you know what he's talking about chime in please!

[​IMG]

2. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Its a "fastback" or 63 1/2 some people call them .. Sweet comet tho !

3. nickk

nickk

Thanks! Its my 1st vechicle without dang frame, so I'm guessing whatever is there is going to have to be beefed up pretty good before mounting the I beam axles and springs

4. Veach

Veach

You have a very good Buddy that is sweet should be a fun build.

5. rinaosk

rinaosk

Hi all,
    Thanx for sharing great info with me

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012

6. You are best off to build a new front stub and then tie it into the roll cage or firewall. I don't recall is the '63 a unibody? Disregard this question you already answered it.

The straight axle is the easiest route if you are going to shoe horn a big block in it. I don't think that you have enough width to notch the spring towers like you could on the later bodies.

Looks like it will be fun to build. Best of luck to you.

7. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Nice looking piece of history and the price sounds like a deal.

Best of luck. Jimbo

8. spike427

spike427
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

Build something else and don't ruin original car and sell it to me?

9. lawman

lawman

Very nice start !!

10. The 63 1/2 falcons are rare,,I would think the 63 1/2 Coments may be even rarer,,,good looking car.

Keep us updated. HRP