Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paypal scam?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by independentcustoms, Feb 4, 2013.

1. jesse1980

jesse1980

They will hold the money for 21 days, if he files a dispute, he keeps the parts and they send his money back. Cash only my man.

2. Ok, so how about on a car? Clearly this person isn't coming to get it, he doesn't want it. They don't even have any idea of what they are talking about. So what's the deal on that? They get my paypal address and hack it?

3. I Agree 100%. I have been on eBay for 15 years and sold over 3,000 items (25% or more Hot Rod related) and bought almost that many. Never had anyone try to scam me on either eBay or PayPal (I don't do Craigs List).
    But on the other hand my son has been selling on eBay for several years and dealing with PayPal for about as long. He trys to scam buyers and he in turn has problem after problem dealing with PayPal (they take his money and hold it when a buyer on eBay is not happy, until he gets the item back) he thinks this is unfair and they are all against him.
    I have told him over and over, don't sugar coat an item that you know has flaws and you will have better luck.
    I now limit my sales to USA only, due to the foreign shipping problems and the extra time needed to fill out papers and figure shipping fees etc. I work a full time job and just do eBay and parts meets as a part time hobby.
    Yes I'm sure I loose money by not dealing with other countrys and yes eBay and PayPal charge high fee's but it is still the best deal for the money. Setting up at parts meets and car shows can cost hundreds of dollars a day also.
    Just my .02 worth.

4. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

I've been using paypal for several years for by business transactions. I have had a few disputed but have not lost any. Best thing to do is send it 'signature required' then you have a record of who signed for it.

5. I usually search email addresses etc, ask if they are on any forums etc, ask details about the cars...in order to feel them out

sold some aluminum big block heads, was a basic email, do you still have the heads, I will buy them

before responding, I researched, found out all about the guy.....was heavy into early Chevelles, on numerous forums...sold him the heads no problem

US Postal Money Order is always a great way to go, as the Feds will crack down on scams...

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have had good luck on ebay as both a buyer and seller. Try to fully describe items so buyer has no complaints--so far so good after 6 yrs and use Paypal. Craigslist is another story--lots of flakes--folks say to meet in a well it parking lot but there have been quite a few instances around here where the seller was robbed and beaten-not for me and sure don't want them at my residence.

7. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

There are a lot of legit sellers and buyers out there that use Craigslist. There are just as many crooks as well.
    You just have to pay attention to every detail when dealing with them. If it is at all questionable walk away.
    If you have to ask someone then it's a scam.

8. Greg Shelton

Greg Shelton
    from CA

My question also!
    Most Scammers have NO INTEREST in going through all of the Trouble of embezzling a car...just to have to resell it!
    They simply want the "Quick Buck"!
    So after they get your PayPal account number...do they ask for a "convenience fee" up front?

9. no55mad

no55mad

Just got the same line from someone replying to a CL truck ad. Says he's a merchant marine, advertise that the truck is sold, he'll PayPal, what's my PP acct # and address where the truck can be picked up bla bla bla.

10. sololobo

sololobo

Check your protection status with pay pal it varies by amount bought/sold etc. The if you are protected I would go for a paypal payment. But proceed with caution!! ~sololobo~

11. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

You don't take Paypal, I won't buy your stuff, either.

12. auto shop

auto shop
    from kentucky

Call paypal. A friend of mine had the same deal. He will want you to send money to the shipper.

13. brad chevy

brad chevy

Got the same BS scam wanting to get it for his dad. After finding out that the Pay-Pal site was fake I emailed him and told him not to worry about buying his dad anything. Told him his Dad already looked at my car made a smart ass remark so I buried him in the back yard. Never heard from him again.

14. leaded

leaded
    from Norway

Well, im not shure....but if you feels uncomfortable, pass it on to another and forget the guy.
    As an foreigner (norwegian) im buying lot of stuff all over the world, HAMB,Ebay, members on other forums, and Paypal is preferred by me. Why, well its easy,can do it fast,straight from my phone/computer, and the fees are a lot lower than bank account transfer. Also at lot of americans says to use the Postal MO.....well,Norway and some other countrys ended this service a couple of years ago, then what? Americans are quite afraid of been tricked, but have you thought about the guys on the other side of the world, buying stuff of a photo and sellers description? Normally dont get to see the parts before 14 days with airfreight, or a mnth with boatshipping? Do they take chances? When buying cars, it could easy get longer time, as remembered some Aussies said nearly 3 mnths from sending money, till its in their eyesight.
    Yeah selling/buying could be risky, but mainly if you use common senses, and see it from both sides, a lot could be explained without mistrust. People outside US isnt always perfect in your language, and could put in some extra info, who isnt in consern on the buy, but feels to get better companionship with seller, and hopefully can trust them more.
    About the only to US selling, understandable that the seller dont wanna do extra work, but whats trouble? Charge it on the buy! Mainly on f.ex German Ebay,none listed to sell outside, but when contacting them, 95% will do, of course you need to pay the extra cost/shipping......US sellers normally dont even make a reply on the question.....but they are fast to give message to give a high feedback score,also about the messaging/contact between seller/buyer.............

A lot of this stuff happends mostly on people not been high users. "high users" have learned and uses an US resident to be a "middle man", to ship parts for collecting to later shipping to foreign countries, fix direct money orders to seller, check up and fix transaction,hauling and freight further on cars,etc. But then also, a trusted guy is to be found........and he needs to trust you too...........

I´ve been scammed on Ebay once.....and thats was a american who didnt send the item, but the money he got. And how easy it was to stop the transaction???? well, the time for making a dispute was gone by, when it should have been here........

I have also got trouble with seller who was impossible to reach, but with some webrelated searching, ive found that his adress got a lot of trouble in a big storm, and send him a message to relax, take his time because i saw a possibility that he got troubles, fix his trouble if its there, and come back to me when he get time.. Big money was sendt, and Paypal dispute time was gone...1,5 mnth after the buy he contacted me, really sorry, but also said thanks for my message, he had lost his house,computer & business files,60% of his items was gone, and a relative died in the storm. From the buy to i get the items, it took 3,5 mnth, but i also got a new friend, who is doing what he can to help me out if needed. Ok, ive bought parts of this guy before, but i took the chance of trusting him, and he is grateful of that.

Mainly it seems like connection phone/messages is the way to go to find out about scams or not. See the trade from both sides, and then uses your sense/feeling to go futher, or drop it!:cool:

15. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the proces of selling an 8 track player to a guy in Switzerland. Sounds legit so I'm willing to take the chance even though there isn't a way to get signature confirmation of delivery at least not through USPS international mail. Shipping costs for a medium flat rate box is $60.00 so that may squash the deal but it's got to be tough to be a car guy in Europe with so many not wanting to sell to Europe do to prior scams. Just my .02 worth.

16. I will sell to anyone. Back when I was building lowriders I shipped a car as far away as Amsterdam from NY. I think spotting a scam is relatively easy. When they refer to the car or part as "item", that's a pretty good give away. My point of this thread was I don't understand what the scam is? Even if they paid by money order, it's still very clear that they don't want the car/parts.

17. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

No protection for the seller, PayPal will always side with the buyer no matter what's documented during the transaction. Cash is king, although a fellow swapper did receive a counterfit bill a couple summers ago and this last season on bigger bills used a money marker pen if he hasn't seen or dealt with the person before. Sad state of affairs, lots of dishonest people even if you're dealing with them in person. If it doesn't feel right I just back away. There is always another buyer.

18. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

This came from a CL ad that looked perfectly legit. Vehicle price was about wholesale and
    First email was "how good the vehicle was and how it only had sythetic oil blah blah blah". Do they really think people fall for this stuff?

Hey,

I am currently stationed at Fort Irwin (U.S. Military training base in CA) making final preparations before deploying to Afghanistan. The truck is here with me at the base and if we reach an agreement the shipping won't be a problem because military has a considerable discount, so I can handle it by myself with no charges whatsoever on your account. Shipping may take anywhere between 2 to 3 business days depending on the destination. All the documents you need for ownership, manuals and bill of sale will be provided along with the truck. I am currently signed up with Google Wallet and I would like to close the deal through them. If you are not aware of Google Wallet you should know that it will allow you to test drive and inspect the truck before paying me. In this way you're not buying something sight unseen. You will have a 5-day inspection period to decide whether you want to keep the truck or not before they release the funds to me. If you decide not to keep it Google Wallet will refund you the money, no questions asked, and shipping back will be my concern. I think this is more than fair for both of us. If you want to buy it please email me back with:
    - your full name and address - required by Google Wallet (you'll receive important guidelines + instructions from them.).
    I want to point out that because I am going to Afghanistan this sale is my top priority and I am looking after a fast transaction, with no delays so I decided to lower the price, to avoid wasting time with negotiations and find a buyer as soon as possible

19. TMoney

TMoney

Does he ever actually mention your item in the response by name? If his response seems like it could be sent to any number of items then that's most definitely a scam. I've listed cars on CL many times and always get the "my dad has always wanted that car and I'm overseas working so I will pay for it and he can pick it up." It never says the make and model or year.

20. Fenders

Fenders

Yes, but if he asked if you still have the "item," it's a scam.

See posts 76 and 79.

21. Marcel8u

Marcel8u

Here's some of a message I have from someone from Craigslist wanting to buy my engagement ring I have for sale. He said he was on business trip and could not come pick it up and wanted it for his "fiancé".

(1/3)I understand how you feel i promise if you can help me i will pay for the shipping including the item fees and any order charges and that is why i said we
    (2/3)should use paypal for the payment cos paypal is save and secure for both sellers and buyers online fastest way to pay and 100%fraud free for more info log
    (3/3)on to www.paypal.com please i'm really interested in this item i will not afford to lose it please help me!

22. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

he's trying to scam you, and get your paypal info. they usually enclose a link to "log in" to pay pal, when you use that link they have your info.

23. Marcel8u

Marcel8u

Yeah there's no way I'm giving, sending, or any of that crap you want it come get it!

24. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

If it's long distance do a wire transfer and talk to the buyer.
    No Checks
    No moneys orders
    No paypal

Wire transfer is the only way to go. Once they wire the money into your account its there to stay.

Why make selling something harder than it has to be?