Register now to get rid of these ads!

another flipped shoebox uprights thread.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BeefThunder, Nov 29, 2012.

1. BeefThunder

BeefThunder

ok so before i start il state, yes i know the downfalls of this set up, so you can save the posts about how much it sucks. so, im flipping the spindles on my 49. i figured out all the angles, and bent another set i have(with measurements the only thing i can see on paper thats changed is the scrub radius). now that ive completed all this work, i realize what if you took the spindle off the upright, flip the upright, and reinstall spindle unflipped. so you would be flipping the uprights, but keeping the spindle how it was sitting before, has anyone tried this? by eye i think it will work.. its totally hypothetical. i have another stock set already disassembled im gonna try this on, when i buy a new set of king pins on friday.

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

"" i realize what if you took the spindle off the upright, flip the upright, and reinstall spindle unflipped.""

Yes..

3. BeefThunder

BeefThunder

yes as in it will work? or explanation?:

pull uprights, pull king pins and spindles. passenger side flipped and installed on driver side, vice-versa.while having reinstalled spindles to uprights, with passenger side spindle on flipped driver,installed on passenger side. you wouldnt have to redrill the spindle this way either, the larger bolt holes will stay on bottom for steering arms.

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

They used to flip the uprights upside down, switch them side for side, and bend to correct the spindle angle to lower the car in the fifties. Never heard of bending the spindle.

5. BeefThunder

BeefThunder

yes i know, ive already accomplished this, very well. i didnt state anything about the side to side, because theres already a million how to's on here so im basing this off common knowledge... bending the spindle? i didnt mention anything like that. i asked about removing it, and flipping it back to stock position with the uprights flipped.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  6. BeefThunder

BeefThunder

its not giving me the option to upload the pic, so its the best explanation i can give without pictures.

7. zcwagner

zcwagner
    from Tucson

pics please. youre saying remove uprights, remove kingkins, remove spindle. reinstall uprights on opposite side, but upside down, then reinstall kingpins and spindle in the same possition you removed them?

8. I did exactly what beefthunder is suggesting about 20 years ago on a '49 Mercury . It worked fine other than having to clearance a little where the steering arms bolt back up on the spindles . I don't have pics as it was back in the dark ages before digital camera etc :eek:

9. twisted-metal

twisted-metal
    from san jose

Thats how you are suppose to do it.