Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some trade advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GovernorKC, Feb 7, 2013.

?
  1. Trade for car

42 vote(s)
    67.7%
  2. Keep bike

20 vote(s)
    32.3%
  1. GovernorKC

GovernorKC

UPDATE: Ended up selling my bike for cash. The guy with the car stopped returning calls and emails. So the hunt is on for a new ride.

Ok, looking for some advice on a trade. I have had a Sportster for a few years, dont ride it much and have been looking to sell or trade it for an old car. I enjoy going to traditional hot rod shows around the midwest, so I want the car to meet that criteria. (I know I would need to do some work to make it meet show criteria) So wondering what you guys think about this trade? Good deal? bad?

Here is my bike, 06' Sportster 1200C 14k miles.
    [​IMG]

Here is the car 59' Fairlane 500 with Y-block
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  2. I'd say it's a no brainer, based on what I can see in the pictures. TRADE!

3. 56FRLN

56FRLN

I assume the '59 is a runner? Do it now before the guy changes his mind.

4. Billy_Bottle_Caps

Billy_Bottle_Caps

5. GovernorKC

GovernorKC

yeah the car runs and drives. One issue he says is that it has a lil blow by and he has been running Lucas oil stabilizer.

6. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

I would jump all over that trade!!! Jim

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

7. Not to rag on sporty's cause I dig em when done right....but they don't hold there value at all. The car looks good..it's a 4 door so it's not as valuable as a 2 door

8. rockabilly53

rockabilly53

I wouldn't even think about that one...you'll get way more use out of the fairlane....do it ya Cheese head!

9. GovernorKC

GovernorKC

Yea obviously if it were a 2 door it would be a lopsided trade

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Sportsters are everywhere,that car isnt. TRADE

11. Keep the Sportster and "bob" or "cafe" it. Unless ya don't wanna spend any money right away. A '59 Ford more door will never be "traditional but could be dropped and cruised and be respectable at best.

12. cmat21

cmat21
    from Tennessee

I would trade before the guy sees everyone on here telling you hurry up and swap before he changes his mind. Bikes are fun but only when it is warm enough to catch bugs. You could be driving old blue almost all year.

13. warejn

warejn

I gotta agree with everyone else, do it before the guy changes his mind.

14. I think it depends if you are going to the store or running down the highway...Not a big sporty fan but a 4 door sedan or a bike are you kidding...I would ride the bike while I look for a 2 dr trade....

15. GREASER815

GREASER815

I would trade. A car can always be used more than a bike.

16. Sorry but a 4 door Fairlane is a grandma car, not a hot rod.

17. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I'm thinking with the pocketbook here. I'd value the ford at $2500-$3500 at most--and that's being generous---it looks solid and clean but it's a 4 door 59--there's just no market for that. I don't know a thing about bikes so I can't say if it's a good move or not, but I'm guessing the bike on the retial market is in the$3500-6k range???--but you have to sell it before you can do anything and the market's still tight. what really trumps moneyis are YOU going to be happy with it. I've got certain cars that I'd probably give more than they're worth for just because I like them.

personally, I avoid 4 doors like the plague. you'll never get back anywhere near what you spend on them if you do it right--especially a 50's/60's car. but if it makes you happy then do it.

my .02 take it FWIW

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

it is up to you, your bike. if that year Ford is something that you have had on your wanted list for a while then consider doing trade. but, if it is the first car classic car that has a owner willing to trade don't jump too fast. dollar wise a two door would be worth more but, on the fun side a four door will provide plenty.

19. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

20. 73RR

73RR

I'll join the minority on this one. Like falconsprint63, I'm thinking with my checkbook and it says that the bike is worth about 2x the sedan. If you are not in a rush then start the selling process for the bike and then shop for a car. You will have plenty of options.
    This link may be useful:
    http://www.cars-on-line.com/search.html

21. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

Two many doors You can do better

22. GovernorKC

GovernorKC

Being in Wisconsin, I dont get a lot of opportunity to ride the bike. I would get more use out of a car, but thats with any car.

I am trying to sell the bike as well. Obviously it would be easier to buy a car then trying to find the right trade.

I have also thought about waiting until spring. When the weather gets nice people want to buy and sell toys.

23. have you traded yet? that 59 looks solid and in great condition id leave it as is and drive it this spring and summer then when winter comes around address the blow by condition

24. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

I would trade, sportsters are hard to trade off. i have been offered a few over the years for different projects/ drivers ive had and turned them all down. Just too many sportsters out there.

25. not dead yet

not dead yet

Don't let it slip by...trade. You can always trade again but at least you are in the old car business.

26. Really? Not traditional? I will admit that 4 doors aren't as popular as 2 doors but "never be traditional"? Maybe not in Texas but when I was growing up in southern Cal there were many 4 door cruisers running around in the late 50's and early 60's. I can think of 3 that belonged to the bunch that I ran around with, a '51 Chevy, a '53 Ford and a '55 Chevy. August 1958 Issue of Custom Cars (little book) has a '51 Merc 4 door pictured on it's cover with Larry Watson's '50 Chevy, Gene Winfields '51 merc and 2 others. Not as popular but traditional none the less.

27. brad chevy

brad chevy

Lets see you want something to drive to the car shows and swapmeets. The bike is worth $3500 tops,you don.t ride it. Although the car is a 4-door big deal. Do the trade then take the Ford to a few even'ts and swap it for something else. You have to start somewhere and if that was a 2-door it would take 3 sportsters to get it.

28. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

This thread is kind of like the way an impulse goes. It starts with something shiny, everybody says: "Get it! Get it!", and then you start actually putting some thought into the pros and cons. Only you know if its right for you and the only way to know is to give it time while you think it over. Sleep on it for a couple of nights and if its killing you that you haven't done it yet, then go get it. If not, then keep looking. If its meant to be, the car will wait for you.

29. Fenders

Fenders

Life is short, It ain't about money or value, it's about what you will enjoy.
    Take the car, run the tires off it.

or wait and sell the sportster... some day... and take the money and find another car... some day... and enjoy it... some day....