Register now to get rid of these ads!

Texas Year of Manufacture Plates Going Away

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scottybaccus, Nov 3, 2010.

1. kfoster

kfoster
    from Texas

Anyone know any more info on the law and why it changed? I dont think im going to be able to make the deadline in time. This is really frustrating especially sense I enjoy daily driving my 1965 C-10.

2. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I am assuming that it changed for one or two reasons or maybe both.
    1. Generate more revenue
    2. make it easier to spot cars registered as antiques since only antiques will be running YOM plates. Then more citations can be given for those of us who use antique plates on daily drivers therefore generating more revenue. (refer to #1)

3. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Okay here's some "official" news. I was at Texas tax office the Friday of the Fredericksburg swap meet (July 29) to register my RPU. I know the ladies there and was chatting about the Sept 1 cut-off. So she hands me an official memo from Austin DMV that says, basicly, never mind - we overturned the cut-off. The 82nd legislature reversed the law that was to eliminate the YOM plate deal (House Bill 2357). That is for "Classic" and "Vintage" 5 year registrations too. Also, there will be no $15 fee after Sept 1, 2011.

You still can't do dealer and farm tags, but all others are go. If go to the tax office and they give you crap, ask to see the bulletin #034-11, dated July 28, 2011 addressing the turnover - it's pubic information!

I immediately took copies of this memo out to Jesse and Leonard (old plate guys) at the swap meet and got big (manly) hug.

You're welcome.

You're welcome

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  4. harley97

harley97
    from Texas

Just had my yom plates inspected & approved on 8/17/11, no problems.
    Harley 53

5. houston54

houston54

Just in case anyone was still confused on this subject I have attached the latest and greatest info from TXDot.

They have backed off the previous position and YOM are valid for "Classic" and "antique" registrations.

Attached Files:

6. Drive Em

Drive Em

I went to register some Texas Y.O.M. Plates last Friday and I was told that you can no longer use the Y.O.M. Plates as an antique registration. You can register them using the classic designation only. The price went up as well, and they will have to be renewed every year. There is no longer a 5 year registration on the antique plates. The new price is about $30.00 a year.

If you have Y.O.M. Plates that are already registered, you are grand fathered in. DO Not let the Y.O.M. plates registration expire, as they will not re-new them if they do.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  7. txturbo

txturbo

Must have just changed....

8. thebugbox

thebugbox

This bulletin is still on their website, which isn't even a year old. I have YOM plates on my '65 Chevelle, and I just renewed the plate via their automated website, but it only let me renew for 1 year. So the 4 year renewal for Antique is now gone.

Can anyone else confirm if they have recently registered YOM plates or not? I have a set of 1949 plates that I eventually need to register for my shoebox.

9. seatex

seatex

Hold on, Padnah............... 5 YEAR renewal is still in for Antique plates. Problem is, they are made in one printing or cycle (why everyone has a March 2013 expiration). I just moved a vehicle into my name that had antique plates, and had to be issued new plate and pay pro-rated fee for only 3 months until the new 2018 plates are available.
    The folks at the licensing beureau said you can "tie in" your YOM plates to your Antique tag (you still have to buy the antique tag) as long as they pass the inspection process (matching, legible, and correct color pairing for year of issuance), but they will be for "limited use" and subject to the same restrictions as antique plates they are tied to, or, you can use YOM plates, tied to regular plates allowing you to drive at any time like regular vehicle, but will have to renew every year.
    Now, I wouldn't be surprised to learn there are several interpretations of this law out there, because, after all, this IS Texas..........:rolleyes:
    That's what I got straight from the Tax ASSessors mouth. Stay tuned, I will be renewing my "antique" plates next month, tying in some '57 plates and will post how it comes out!

10. thebugbox

thebugbox

Well Padnah, I had NO 5 year option, only 1 year option, whereas all my other vehicles had up to a 3 year option. So if you manage to do something different, please update us. I'm sharing MY experience. This was Harris county.

11. thebugbox

thebugbox

I called to confirm. They said I did renew for 5 years, as an antique vehicle with my YOM plates even though the site only said 1 year. I will update once I actually get my plate sticker in and confirm 1 year or 5 years.

12. A little hi-jacking here...My 47 has a 47 plate on the back, and the P/O told me of his efforts at the DMV getting that plate right. Now, I'm about to transfer title but the title I have doesn't show the YOM plate number on it, it is the title before the YOM plate was assigned. Will DMV's records reflect that change? Or, do I have to start that process all over again?

13. When you get info at the tax office that is not what you want to hear, say thank you and come back later. You will get an entirely different story, most likely.

14. You will have to have two matching plates to get it to fly. My understanding is you cannot have his old YOM plate. It has to die. But after its death be it a year are two it can be used again. We were also told we could not have dealer plates anymore. As it looks right now you cannot register dealer plates on your car unless you had them before the new law took effect. I just got my renewal and they show my current number. Go figure.

15. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

Yep!

16. seatex

seatex

Well, allright, Padnah! like the masses are saying, it's the inconsistencies:confused: that will drive 'y nuts.......................;)

17. txturbo

txturbo

Not sure what you mean by dealer plates(can only be displayed by licensed new/used car dealers)...if you mean YOM plates....what I read recently is that they aren't allowing it anymore...unless you already had them prior to the effective date of the change in law. Then you will still be able to use them as long as you keep renewing them.If you let them expire you won't be allowed to use them again. YOM plates and personalized plates work the same way as far as transferring to a new owner. You can't do it. The previous owner has to let them expire....then you have to wait 60 days and then you can reuse/reapply. With personalized plates you have to hope you get them before someone else does.

18. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

I'm running YOM plates on the company car. Just got my renewal notice for 5 more years at $61.00. No problem here.

19. OK, you guys are gonna love this!! Just got back from transferring title on my 47 as an antique. Process was dead smooth...except that the plate she had to issue is dated 3-13.
    I have to go back at the end of the month, what, three weeks? and they will issue me a plate dated....wait for it....3-18. I'm like "can't you just go ahead and issue that plate now?" "No, it won't be viable until next month." What the hell, at least I got through the titling system. Can you spell BUREAUCRACY ?
    Oh, BTW, the 47 licence plate that was on the car when I bought it dies with the previous owner. If I want to take both of those plates back down to DMV, and pay the fee for having them assigned to me I can. I'm just going to give it back to the P/O. He's a close friend, and I think he would probably want it for sentimental reasons.

20. I have a car, motorcycle and a motorhome...all with antique plates and all expire march 2013.
    I just did the title on the motorhome and was given a plate that will expire March 2013. (next month)
    I was told that I will be able to renew all my antique plate for 5 years in March. (As well as the rest of us in Texas... Going to be a busy month for them I guess.)

21. So I got charged $50 for three weeks worth of plate......At least I now have a title in my name.

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

WRONG! I'm looking at the renewal I JUST got TODAY. It says my new plate will expire in 2018 and cost is $52.50

Lots of bad info in this thread.

23. I have to correct my last post. I went back and looked at the receipt for title transfer.
    I WAS WRONG ! They only charged me $10 for the plate that will only last for three weeks. When I go back at the end of the month I will be charged the full $50 for a plate good for five years.
    Here's how it broke down;
    Title application fee- $13
    Texas mobility fund fee- $15
    Terp fee- $5 ?
    Sales tax fee $XXX
    Antique Plt. $10
    Cnty Road Bridge add-on fee- $10
    Child Safety fund $ 1.50
    Automation fee $ 1.00

I can only ASSUME that these amounts may vary depending on what county you live in.
    Sorry for the previous wrong post. For 64 years I've been notorious for popping off before I had my facts straight.

One thing I did observe while I was there; The lady two people in front of me in line gets up to the window, and not only does she not speak English, she has no clue about any of the specifics of the car she is dealing with. Now, there are two county workers working with her trying to determine what she needs and how to provide it for her.
    She started two people before me, I was there probably twenty minutes, and she still wasn't through the process. It's no wonder these workers are a little gruff at times....
    The best thing we can do as hot rodders/car enthusiasts is to make this as pleasant as we can.

24. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I buy my ladys at DMV donuts every once in a while.....BTW they are great

25. txturbo

txturbo

yeah....my buddy that has a title company had a problem with one of my titles......he went down there with donuts and kolaches one morning and everything suddenly got straigtened out. :)

26. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I receieved a 5-yr renewal notice for the registration of both my 1957 cars.

The Plymouth wagon has state issued plates and they are called 'AP/NONE' in the Plate Type/Sticker Type field.

The Chrysler hardtop has Year of Manufacture 1957 Texas plates, and this field reads 'OLDPLT2/US'.

Both expire Mar 2018. The renewal fee is $51, the 'local fee' is $10, total per car is $62 if mailed. I hope this info helps someone out there.

27. Drive Em

Drive Em

You are absolutely correct. I received the 5 year renewals for the other cars I have registered as antique using YOM plates this week. I went back to the tax office and talked to a supervisor, and apparently the clerks that work the windows are new and were not informed about the antique plates or the YOM process. Everything is still the same.

28. rd4pin

rd4pin
    from louisiana

The donuts or the ladies?

29. CRITICALSPEED

CRITICALSPEED

Information is outdated!!! I got it done today . YOM is still valid in TX!!!
    July 2020

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You actually joined just to post your first and probably only post on a thread that has been dead for 7 damned years?