Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Borrani Wire Wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

dana barlow likes this.
  2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

God, just do it! These are the sexiest wire wheels ever made!

dana barlow likes this.
  3. edisonfire

edisonfire

Such a cool lookin' wheel!

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

What an amazing opportunity! Those are going to look killer on the Buick.

As i said on your IG, I love that logo. It's almost Freemason like.....definitely a secret society as not everybody has an opportunity to have a set.

Those pics are like a little,slice of heaven.

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

What's the deal with the "32" on the knock off? Production marking?

6. art dekko

art dekko

Great story. I saw a piece about Brizio and a '32 he was/is building for Eric Clapton. Clapton loves his Ferrari's, so he asked Brizio to put a set of the Borranis on the '32. Brizio said ONE wheel cost more than any set of four he's ever used, and it takes up to six months to make a wheel.

7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You had me at the title, but then you throw in the GT-40? Yeah, yeah, I knew they used them. Still, if there was ever a truly TIMELESS automotive design, it's the GT-40. Of course built for a purpose but timeless no less and a wonderful home for a Borrani wheel.

I'm not 100% down with a Borrani on the Riv. I'm close, really, but something keeps the idea just a little bit out of focus. I can't quite get there, and at the same time I like the idea. I know how that sounds so I'll wait it out and actually anticipate my thoughts being completely wrong. Width, offset and tire size would have to be dead-on-balls perfect to pull it off. I'm certain you know that, just sayin. Like I said, lookin forward to being wrong.

8. Borrani also did bike wheels in the 60's. These are Borranis on our Bonneville record bike in '69.

[​IMG]

9. ryno

ryno

beautiful..

10. yaidunno

yaidunno
    from Wisconsin

32 refers to the hub size the wheel is made for. The 3 sizes available are 32, 42, and 52. I work for the company that is the sole distributor for these wheels in North America.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. Interesting post. In 1976 when I was finishing up the 40, I bought a second set of 53/54 Cad KH wire wheels for it. They were in pretty nice shape but need replating and laceing. Researched and talked to many folks and some Cad restorers and most recommended Borrani in L A. Called and told them what I had and wanted, replate hoops on the inside as well as the out side, new spokes and nipples and to restore the caps. They said they could, would take a couple of months as they were very busy. We agreed and I shipped them from Alaska, true to their statement, they were finished and shipped back. Total cost for six rims was $1100.00 plus freight back to Alaska. (lots of money in 76) Was extremely pleased the way they restored them,BEAUTIFUL job. Still run them today and look as nice as when recieved in 76.

12. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

The most beautiful wheels ever made. I think wire wheels basically make EVERYTHING look better, so I can't wait to see them on a Riv.

I do take issue with the Riviera being America's first GT car. I give the nod to the Chrysler 300s, and Buick picked up and ran when the Mopars fell off. Probably all a matter of opinion, and the Riv was penned with that idea in mind whereas the Chrysler was a melding of existing parts to make one. The '63-65 Rivs are gorgeous cars though, one of my all-time favorite designs.

13. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Oh yea! A Rivie with wires! It does not get any better than that for me.

14. seatex

seatex

Oh shit.............next thing you know you'll be showing it at the "Texas Heat Wave" sporting Daytons..:rolleyes:

15. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

I have a question for everyone, Why do so many people consider these wheels good looking? Is it the aluminum? The lacing pattern on the old wheels is never very thought out, the spokes usually group up and lean alot. It makes the wheel have some spots have big gaps between the spokes and other areas where the spokes are practically on top of each other.

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Never very well thought out? You should see the blueprints for these damned things. I'd bet you would think differently... They are way over engineered - each spoke is located for strength over cosmetics. Form follow functions... And yeah, aluminum... And the fact that the spokes disappear at speed. And... Hell, I dunno... I just love them.

I mean, look at the pictures. Who wouldn't?

17. flamingokid

flamingokid

To each their own.I started building wire wheels for other BMX'ers back in the late 70s when I discovered I had a knack for it and it paid.I also started trying other patterns for looks and durability.Eventually,I started truing MG(and other foreign) wheels for friends parents.I've always loved real wire wheels and I'm glad to see them making a resurgence.And I can hardly wait until I see some on Ryans Riviera.

18. 4woody

4woody

I think it is that the big gaps between groups of spokes give the wheels an "Air-y", light look. Almost as if there are fewer spokes than the actual count.

19. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

They used wire wheels on racing cars in Europe up till the early 60s, Indy cars used Halibrands before that, the 50s. The Europeons realized the mag wheels didn't flex like wires, then they all used mags.

Ago

20. There is something very theraputic about lacing up and truing a wire wheel!:cool:

21. Weasel

Weasel

You either get it or you don't....

[​IMG]

22. flamingokid

flamingokid

Yes,there is.From laying out the pattern to trying to keep all the nipple turns even and then getting the perfect circle with absolute straightness.It really is a Zen-like experience.

23. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

I believe Cadillac wanted Borrani,s on the 53 Eldorado but the car was to heavy and kept cracking the rims, hence the KH wheel appeared as standard.

I also have motorcycle Borrani,s for my FED

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Or, at it's opposite extreme, something that makes you throw heavy stuff at your T.V.:D

25. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

I would disagree that grouping the spokes makes them stronger, and Borrani must too, because their new "Classic" wheels aren't grouped up and do have an even lacing pattern. The original wheels usually had rims with the dimples cast into them, so I can understand that its hard to make a wire even without being able to move where the dimples are. They're now using spun rims and dimpling them so thats probably why they are able to make them without the gaps.
    Other than the uneven pattern in the older wheels, I think they're a great looking wheel.

26. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I'm going to get flamed for this, and probably deserve it, but in my wacked out mind the Riviera is too modern of a car for wire wheels. Wire wheels are from the 20's as you mentioned. The Rivera was about the future and I say that in a positive way. The Riviera is a beautiful car with a design that looks to future. Putting wires on it to me just looks like wearing old style shoes on a sharp new suit.

I realize this is a bit lame as well, but I kind of like the wheel caps more the wires themselves. While the wheel caps are trying to reference the actual wire wheels, they are a bit of a modern abstraction and also sort of have that 60's future rocketry reference in the abstraction. I don't like the fake spinner part, but ribs part are nice. personally, I would probably just go with a very simple clean cap of some sort.

I realize this is less custom and the actual wires are more of a custom touch, but here is a photo of the caps for reference. But I guess that would be more towards the hot rod end of things instead of the custom end. Maybe that is the difference.

Are these caps or the actual wheels on this one? Drop this beauty and heat the motor up a little and this would be about all that is needed.

[​IMG]

Actually, I'm not sure I'd even touch this car, too f'n beautiful as is.

Ok, I'm ducking in the trench for cover now.

27. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

I've seen a few Rivs with the 40 spoke Buick wires on them and that looks AMAZING. I'm finding it difficult to imagine a Riv with Borrani's so I'm very interested in how this turns out. Maybe someone with photoshop skills can help us out.

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That's the optional cast cap... They are pretty, but man are they heavy. The bolt on from the back of the wheel... To access the lugs, you actually remove the fake spinner things...

29. metalshapes

metalshapes

Those look a lot like the K/H Vette knock offs.

!B)dDfig!2k~$(KGrHqR,!hoEv1+0FTCtBMNiQSnn+g~~_1.jpg

But that was probably the whole idea...

I still like the Borrani's better.

( but only on somebody else's car.

I wouldnt want to have to keep them clean and shiny on a car of mine...:D)

30. I had a '54 Hudson Italia decades ago which was a limited production (25) sports car offered by Hudson dealers. All those cars had 15 x 4.5 wide Borrani wire wheels. The outer rims were magnesium.

If you go to Borrani's web site, the Hudson wheels can STILL be ordered because they STILL have thousands of blueprints for thousands of cars. And OH YEAH, they cost thousands of dollars PER WHEEL.

But they are beautiful.

Attached Files: