Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Ford Custome Coupe Build..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by msalamanca, Jun 15, 2011.

1. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

Well as long as its not getting lonely...

2. msalamanca

msalamanca

Thought I would check in.
    Just about done with the Chevy for now.
    Honestly it was nice to take a step away from my shoebox to get a better perspective.
    Its coming off the frame (thanks Eric for the offer of taking it over to your place. but I am going to have to do it at mine, it may be off it for a bit.)

I am taking the outer shell back down to bare metal, I am not happy with the work I did in the past.

I am deciding between a carson top, or very mild chop.

Hoping to have it done for santa maria, if finances permit.

3. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

One vote for a mild chop,just something like 2"-4".I am not sure about the carson top,specially with the coupe...

4. daddio211

daddio211

I'll second both of those statements.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

5. msalamanca

msalamanca

And I am thirdin them.

6. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Do a nice smooth chop with flow and not the stepped on look?....Also you want the bottom of the back window to be about in the middle of the rear wheelwell from a sideview? Some make the roof too long and it makes the trunk too short. $.02

7. msalamanca

msalamanca

Yeah thats one thing I do not want is a long roof or a stepped on look.
    Also the other issue is the side window on coupes. I have maybe seen 2 that dont look horrible.

8. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

On a business coupe you should do a 3" or at the most 4" and let the back window rake even if you move the bottom of the back window back a few inches? Hope that helps?

9. msalamanca

msalamanca

Whats your take on the sail panels? dont want to make them huge.
    So your thinking like a three in front and back? and move the back window back a bit for a better rake which will take out more of the crown out?

Do you think that that can be pulled off with out shortening the back side window?

10. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

If the quarter window glass is going to be stationary and not fuctional (rolling up or down) you could also lengthen them just a touch? If you don't lean the rear glass to severely the sail panels will be cool. I have had a few comment on my sail panels on the Victoria being a bit large, but she speaks for herself? See you at the GNRS.

11. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I'm in to help with a chop! got a cheap english wheel I could bring!

12. EBW

EBW

See if some talented Pshop guys could mock up your look.
    Then when you're ready.. Get us all over. I can bring a bunch of tools.

13. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Once again kicking myself for moving away from LA...

14. msalamanca

msalamanca

I am going to keep the hinged rear 1/4. so probably the length will stay the same.
    Your Victoria's sail panels are a bit large, but it flows so nicely with the trim you chose and no post. anything smaller would of thrown the flow off dramatically. So anyone that says that them being large in a negative way, doesnt have an eye for body lines.

See ya at GNRS, seriously I haven't been this excited in a long time knowing I am going to see your victoria in person.

15. msalamanca

msalamanca

I will for sure let you know when its going down, thanks.
    I am getting an HF English wheel today. I have no shame. HF will works for me on some things.

16. msalamanca

msalamanca

That would be sweet. I am going to see if some of them will right now.
    I will for sure let you know.
    I still gotta come over there.

17. EBW

EBW

No worries on heading up here... Mine is ready but in a holding pattern. I can bring my trailer loaded with tools.. So let me know what you will need. My hourly rate is cheap food and beer!

18. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I have the old HF wheel. The new design works way better. I used one at a friends house.The old one works for me for the things I have made with it and I got it when they were selling them for $99 with full anvils it was $150. If I did metal work for a living I'd buy the nice one or the newer one. It's just easier to use. And no I don't work for HF.

19. msalamanca

msalamanca

Yeah, honestly I am not going to lie I use some HF stuff. My grinder cost me $12, I got the $3 insurance and took it back once, cause I cut the cord when I was upside down in the trunk. the best 15 bucks I have spent.

20. EBW

EBW

If you take care of the tool and use it periodically... like 90% of us here... the HF tools aren't bad. Plus I can buy quite a few HF tools to help me get my projects done vs one expensive tool and wait to save up for more while my project sits idle.

21. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I know a pretty famous car shop owner that uses the HF grinders. I asked him why the cheap crappy ones he said he's burned up every name brand one that you can buy so why waste the money. He swears by them. Me I burned up a bunch few HF's then got pissed at a jobsite when I burned one up when I really needed it and switched to a pair of Bosch. The only thing that stopped the one Bosch was when I cut the side of the house out to put french doors in and the wall fell on one of the grinders. It did work for like a year afterwards but just vibrated alot till it burned up.
    QUOTE=msalamanca;8526758]Yeah, honestly I am not going to lie I use some HF stuff. My grinder cost me $12, I got the $3 insurance and took it back once, cause I cut the cord when I was upside down in the trunk. the best 15 bucks I have spent.[/QUOTE]

22. msalamanca

msalamanca

[/QUOTE]

I put together the English wheel last night. I had looked up things to do to fix it, and when I got it assembled it didnt need any of the fixes. In literally fives minute I made a rocker panel.

23. knoxbrendon

knoxbrendon

Shoebox coupes are so sexy

24. EBW

EBW

You made a new rocker panel???
    Where's the pics ??? Tease!!

25. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I like to see that too,so stop teasing us!

26. [/QUOTE]

We have something similar to HF but called Princess Auto. Cheap stuff but some of it is really good for the money. Differance is they take anything back, no questions asked. Great customer satisfaction just like they advertise.

27. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Your build looks sick. I own the older hf English wheel and it works for me as well. If someone wants to hand me 100 an hour ill upgrade all my tools:D but till then I still need to get shit done and pay bills and build my own car. I that if you pay attantion to build pics you can see lots of hf tools laying around or in the background... I know cuz I have or had them.haha

Keep up the good work man.

28. Mobart

Mobart

Nice project!!

29. layedout49

layedout49

Diggin it 👍 love the man cave you've got going on there too !!'

30. koolkemp

koolkemp

We have something similar to HF but called Princess Auto. Cheap stuff but some of it is really good for the money. Differance is they take anything back, no questions asked. Great customer satisfaction just like they advertise.[/QUOTE]

They have the best return policy! I do buy those cheap grinders from crappy tire for 19.99, the fools sell them with a 3 yr warranty!