Register now to get rid of these ads!

AV-8 guys: how did you run you're steering?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Murocmaru, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Murocmaru

Murocmaru
    from Van Nuys

Hello all,

I have searched the threads and am not finding much. Today I set the motor in my 1930 Model A roadster. It is on a Model A frame with a stock rear end, a 32 heavy axle, and has an F 1 transmission crossmember. I'm using a 1936 ford 21 stud flathead.

The left cylinder head gets In the way of the stock steering column. The cylinder head comes too far to the left and is in the way. I'm thinking of going with an F1 steering box, but i think I'd still have the head in my way.

What have you guys done? I see some people avoid this by just using cowl steering.

2. 97

The F1 column/shaft runs underneath the sector shaft whereas the Model A one is over the top...so effectively the column is lower by about 4 inches .
    When you graft the Model A chassis mount to the F1 box it is possible to shorten it a small amount , which will move the box toward the chassis ( and push the sector shaft and drop arm away from the outside of the chassis) Which may help with head clearance.
    If you buy the Bishop Tardell book it's all in there.

3. chris98006

chris98006
    from Seattle WA

I used a F1 box. The Vern Tardell book explains it pretty good.

4. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

5. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

go with an f1 box... its the simplest way to get the room you need in an a-v8

6. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I'm working on my second V8 A, my avatar is a 28 with a V8 60 and I'm working on a 30 Sport Coupe with an 8BA flathead, both have early F1 boxes. You can use the F1 box and adapt the Model A mounting flange, the Tardel book how to build a V8 A has lots of good info.

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      224.5 KB
      Views:
  7. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

Use a F1 box and make a new mount.
    Worked great on my 29.
    And no,it doesent hit the frame that cut out on the top of the frame is old and im gonna weld in some new metal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Uptown83

Uptown83

F1 box like everyone else said

9. olskool34

olskool34

John79, that is cool but now the pitman arm is sticking way out there and may have an effect on turning ratio (draglink hitting the tire)?

10. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

lots of ways around that if it is even a problem. I have an F100 box in my roadster. frame was widened at the box mount so it amounts to the same thing. no interference issues.

11. Murocmaru

Murocmaru
    from Van Nuys

Thank you everyone! I'll go get an f1 box and see how it fits. I know a guy a few miles away that has a few.

12. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

Yore probably right,when i got the car there was a f100 box that was a little funky mounted :D
    And the tire hit the draglink but if i get this problem with the F1 box i just heat up the pitman arm and bend it so its closer to the frame.

[​IMG]

13. olskool34

olskool34

Yeah, I guess I should have thought of bending the arm.......damn brain farts.

14. fxstc127ci

fxstc127ci

I'm going to use a 32 box, trying to stay prewar. I love the look and function of the headlight switch in the steering wheel. I don't think you can keep that if you go with the f1 box. I stepped the frame out an 1/4 of an inch and cut and machine a new spline and threads on the shaft I will post picture's soon.