Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Hollywood Hornet...303 Olds/Hydro

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, Feb 5, 2013.

1. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Some of you know I am helping a sick friend of mine sell off his cars and parts collection. I thought you guys would get a kick out of this old hot rod.

It's a 1951 Hollywood Hornet coupe that was originally purchased new by a Doctor Cody Ray in Pawhuska, Oklahoma. It had the Twin H Power package. It must have been beautiful in its factory two-tone Blue/Yellow paint scheme... It was eventually sold to another Pawhuskan in 1958, who decided to install a 1949 Olds 303/Hydro in it. He drove it another 3 years and eventually parked it in 1961...it still has the 1961 Oklahoma license plate on it...it has spent its whole life in Pawhuska.

It sat outside all these years, and was vandalised by neighborhood kids...time wasn't good to this old girl...she has some rust in the floors and hood, but the majority of the body seems pretty solid...it also seems to be mostly complete.

I know you guys don't like WIW threads, but I'm out of my element on this type of car and need advise on what I should be asking for this old girl with a clear Okie title.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. zgears

zgears

I'd say 1,200 to the right person.

3. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

thats some cool Kemp material there, but i'd only go about a grand

4. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Neat car, but it's a hurtin' unit!
    I would think anything over a "G" note would be doing pretty good.
    KK

5. Ramblur

Ramblur

The bus in the background reminded me that 'Keith Partridge' drug one home once...:p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

thanks for the reminder, ramblur...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Ted H

Ted H

Larry,
    Thanks for posting the pics.
    The Hollywood coupes are probably the most desirable models. Often the Hudsons had serious structural rust issues underneath the doors. The Olds engine is a detracting feature.
    The HAMB is probably not the best place to seek a valuation- there is a huge national Hudson club and if it were me I would contact them.

If I were a wealthy man I'd be seriously interested!
    Good luck, Ted

8. 51hornetdude

51hornetdude
    from denver

I would be in for a grand. It has some very desirable parts if wasn't restorable, but it doesn't look too bad. I am finishing up a 52 Hollywood right now, and it wasn't in much better shape when I started

9. alchemy

alchemy

I have an old co-worker who is big into these Hudsons, and he says all the other old Hudson guys like him are cheapskates. He has a big garage FULL of NOS parts and can't give them away. He says his wife will probably have to call the local steel scrapper when he dies.

He sold one of this era (it was a post car though, not a hardtop) that was in much nicer shape for only a few thousand last year. I'd think Larry's buddy's is probably worth a grand.

10. EEZI

EEZI

Ooooohhhh, Mrs Partridge !

11. Im new to Hudsons myself, and i see the classic car website has a large Hudson group. It seems the cheapskate side mentioned in a previous post is univesal though, as i just brought a 28 Hudson project that the owner couldnt sell to his restorer buddies.

12. rocksolidnate

rocksolidnate
    from Viroqua Wi

I love the old hudsons I picked up an 54 308 staight six with the twin carb setup
    from a lady whose husband passed a couple of years back with a large collection
    of everything hudson from cars to old advertising she is just now starting to sort through his collection. My advise is to do your research and take your time you might have a gem!

13. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I would think the Olds and Hydro would be worth a grand alone, if it runs.

14. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

You might think it, but try to get it....and this is from someone that's got several 303s.

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Looking at that Hudson reminds me of one in a old junkyard I used to get parts from,it must of had a slightly newer Olds rocket since it had a 4 bbl. I wish I would have paid more attention to it but since it sat there so long without a hood I thought anything on the motor would have been junk and just looked at it as I passed it by looking for other parts.