Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SouthUrn

SouthUrn
    BANNED
    from US

2. LAROKE

LAROKE

Cabriolet Car Club - Hialeah, Florida early sixties. I met some of these guys at their reunion last year.

3. automaticslim

automaticslim
    from new jersey

"Jazz Square." That's impossible!

4. janbuick

janbuick

looks like there is a fire going on

5. map

map

That F-82 was sold a few years ago went to the North west for resto. I flew over Walts place a few times an amazing site from 500FT.

http://www.warbirdinformationexchan...&t=22468&sid=ecce913e0e26543ea81c42155177ca69

[​IMG]

6. Always look for the bomb under the car when someone gives you a free Corvette.

7. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

OK - What is this? My first thought was custom T-bird but the wheelbase looks a little long

[​IMG]

8. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

1957 Dual Ghia

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  9. Maybe it's a RIOT...:eek::eek:

10. Eddie, that's a cooool one!! that was the way i looked as a young rockabilly!:D

this is a Opel Kapitän, which seems to have beaten through hard times in the former german democratic republic as to make out on the GDR license plate!!

where did you find this shot?

Carsten

11. I love the picnic ones - been searching those alot, I have more in storage. :)

12. OKG853

OKG853
    from Indiana

Those fussy Canadian models. But the '59 Dodge front with a '59 Plymouth rear might make for an interesting project today. A real double-take.

13. OKG853

OKG853
    from Indiana

Hey, that's an alien in the middle. The one from the "Mars Attacks" movie.

14. Desert Dan

Desert Dan
    from So. CA

Nice MG?

15. Desert Dan

Desert Dan
    from So. CA

Disneyland Tickets

How come all the "E" tickets are gone?

Attached Files:

16. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Any idea what the story is behind this photo? Where? When? Why? Looks like they are all dressed alike.

[​IMG]

17. Does this small car make my butt look big??

18. Mart

Mart

There's an interesting story behind this brave fellow.

[​IMG]

He was born William Robert Bellenie, in Newington, Surrey, England, in 1869. Around 1900, he adopted the name William Bellenie-Walker, eventually dropping the Bellenie part to be known as Walker.

In 1887, he began diver training at Portsmouth Dockyard. He worked through the roles of diver's attendant and diver's signal man, passing his medical exam and deep-water test to qualify as a deep-water diver in 1892.[1]

In his time, William Walker was the most experienced diver of Siebe Gorman Ltd. In 1906–1911, working in water up to a depth of six metres (20 feet), he shored up Winchester Cathedral, using more than 25,000 bags of concrete, 115,000 concrete blocks, and 900,000 bricks.

William Walker statuette at Winchester Cathedral
    Before his work, the cathedral had been in imminent danger of collapse as it sank slowly into the ground, which consisted of peat. To enable bricklayers to build supporting walls, the groundwater level had to be lowered. Normally, the removal of the groundwater would have caused the collapse of the building. So, to give temporary support to the foundation walls, some 235 pits were dug along the southern and eastern sides of the building, each about six metres deep. Walker went down and shored up the walls by putting concrete underneath them. He worked six hours a day—in complete darkness, because the sediment suspended in the water was impenetrable to light.

After Walker finished his work, the groundwater was pumped out and the concrete he had placed bore the foundation walls. Conventional bricklayers then were able to do their work in the usual way and restore the damaged walls.

During the latter part of his time working at Winchester, Walker cycled home, 70 miles to South Norwood, at weekends returning by train on the Monday.[2]

To celebrate the completion of the work, a thanksgiving service, led by the Archbishop of Canterbury, was held on July 15, 1912. At this, Walker was presented with a silver rose bowl by King George V. Newspaper reports at the time remarked that this was the second time Walker had met George V, the first being when the king was a naval cadet and Walker was his diving instructor.

Mart.

19. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Don't forget to put your penny down on the rail"!!:D:D

20. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know Dean is smiling from above!:D:D

21. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

My dad had a 53 Pontiac 4 door (Super chief?)with this same 2 tone green paint scheme. The face of the Indian hood ornament light up at night it was yellow plastic the light shined through we bought it in 1960!

22. This is just like the one that my brother had, yes the car, it's what I learned to drive in. 1960/61 if I remember correctly, I was around 13.

Attached Files:

23. geotek

geotek
    from troy, ny

You can't tell which way the tran went by looking at the rail.

24. rocksolidnate

rocksolidnate
    from Viroqua Wi

Glad I found this forum, love looking at these great snap shots of americana
    keep up the good work hambers!!

25. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I wonder if the Smother's Brothers had one? Take it... no... take it... no... GN

[​IMG]

26. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

Love the tail light treatment on this '61 Meteor!
    This is what our Fords should have looked like.

27. Rent A. Trip

Rent A. Trip

Speaking Of Aliens , Pompadours...Wayne Cochran and James Brown
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

28. noboD

noboD

Of the '53-'55 Corvettes, only '54 came in black. There's supposed to have only been 8 made, so there's half the production. I don't believe that, because I know for sure of two that were black when new and I don't get around THAT much.

29. brewsterg6

brewsterg6

March 17, 1954, when 28 Chevrolet dealers in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles, California, attended a GM training session, then paraded the Red, White, and Black '54 Corvettes onto a freeway to garner attention. Interesting to note is this: According to Mike Antonick of "The Corvette Black Book," only four black '54 Corvettes are known to have been produced, and all four of them are in this photo!

Read more: http://blogs.vetteweb.com/6624386/corvette-news/corvette-history-1954/#ixzz2KA2zs7BQ

30. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

What's this a Saturday matinee?! Doesn't look like it'll be dark for another 3 hours. :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.