Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question about wolf whistles?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Probably a odd question and I am aware they have been around for many years and have been used on hot rods and customs since the early days.

How do they work?,,where do you get the air to make them work?

How many of you have had one on your hot rod or custom during your misspent youth? HRP

[​IMG]

2. Wolf Whistles are operated from the intake manifold..or any good source of vaccum..

3. Never had one, but used to sell them, they worked on vacuum via a line to the intake mainifold

4. southerncad

southerncad

They work off of the intake manifold vacuum. Just hook up a wire to pull on them and have fun!

5. So, they suck instead of blow! :D HRP

6. In past experience they have a power & ground and for small horns have a self contain air supply...

7. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Yeah suction, they're a hoot, I have on my hot rod.

8. Rogueman

Rogueman

They make electric ones. Just hook to a hot wire with a button.

9. YES..They SUCK..literally...LOL

10. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

One came on a 62 harley dresser, that I bastardized in 68 into my first chopper

11. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Not to change the subject BUT bought an old Willy's wagon from a rancher who used it to herd his cattle, you guessed it it had a lever operated horn that went Mooooooooooooooooooooo!

12. Yeah,,I've herd?:D them also.

I found a old brass steam whistle from a local cotton mill when I was ask to clean out a storage building and thought it would be fun if it could be adapted and made to work like the wolf whistles,,it sure would be loud! :D HRP

13. HRP..I've seen some of the old steam whistles used in the exhaust system...

14. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

If you find a used one that doesn't work don't panic. Remove the discs that get gummed up, clean and lubricate and it will work like new. I paid 15 bucks for mine, did the above service and it works like a champ. Like the Bermuda bells we thought that they were a little hokey when going fast was the big thing. I don't think I will mount mine on my 56 but I can see me putting it on my 34. I know I'm nuts but aside from the 40 bucks I like having an original from back in the day. I bought an original decal but it fell to pieces when I tried to install it.

15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I have one of them too. A bull horn but it is electric. One thing that I am not too fond of is the cable that gets draped across the engine on both types. You can hide the bull horn.

16. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I never had one but will on my 40 truck, but a friend of mine would put it on every car he owned back in the late 60's early 70's. He would sell the car take it off and put it on the next one.Everything from a 301 55 Chevy, to 6 cyl comet and many in between and as stated worked off vacuum and a pull wire.

17. I have a couple of vintage ones. Both of them need a good cleaning. I remember they were fun BITD. Somewhere online, recently, I found a company that makes repro decals to replace those original decals that flake off. I'll see if I can find their website again.

18. Dave Labs

Dave Labs
    from Wisconsin

I've got an electric one. It works fine but there is one problem. Whenever I see some dolly I would whistle at, I'm too busy trying to drive and check her out at the same time, I always forget to hit the switch.

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

somewhere in my messy shop I have the wolf whistle, siren and moo horn that were all on a car I bought a few years ago. I threw the flame thrower parts in the trash. car had about 500 lbs of accessories on it. some good, some goofy and some just stupid.

20. Our old Plymouth had a pair of vacume operated horns on it. Dad scrapped the car and kept the horns, I remember as a kid sucking up an insect trying to make them work.:(

21. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

How about the Chinese repops.................are the guts as high-quality as the originals were?

22. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How about some pictures of these installed? I have an old one in a box someplace, but Ive never really paid much attention to them when Ive stumbled across cars that have them..

I mean, I know how they install, I guess Im hoping to find the shots of the smarty pants' that did it a little better/better looking than I probably would :)

23. That was my first "custom" accessory on my '50 Shoebox back in '62. Next was a fine set of scavenger pipes.

24. Just a cool photo. HRP

[​IMG]

25. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pm5Jy4Eu80s" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

26. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Did any of you know that Fulton made a Wolf whistle that was brass and worked off the exhaust (it was connected to the exhaust pipe like a muffler)

27. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

SPEEDWAY also sells a cover for them so that doesn't happen.

28. I have a wolf whistle somewhere amongst my stuff. Son in law gave it
    to me a few Christmases ago. I never did want to put it on because I
    never found a place I wanted to locate it.....didn't want it sitting on
    top of the engine. You have to put it where you can run the string to
    make it work.

I also have an "oogah" horn, an old 6 volt siren, and an old horn like
    from a 30s era car that has a different, smaller "beep" than newer
    horns. Plus the pair of trumpet horns original to the car.

People do get a kick out of hearing them.