Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Larry Watson's Personal Photo Collection

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Tinbasher

Tinbasher

Amazing!! I checked out the web-site over 500 pictures. I couldn't handle it all. I'll go back and check again. Picked up some great idea's for the 26 T-coupe where working on. How could he do so much work at the price's.

The Old Tinbasher ( And I thought 130 cars was a lot.)

2. dogpatch customs

dogpatch customs
    from ohio

man all i can say is. WOW!

Rik, i spent my new years day on this thread from beginning to end. thank you for taking all the time and effort to share! rated all stars too!

george

3. Rikster

Rikster

Another photo of Harvey Buthoff his 1956 Chevy custom painted by Larry Watson in 1959.

This rear 3/4 view gives us a bit better look at the very unusual flames that Larry Added. larry was always looking for something new to try. Being it new techniques, new paints, or new designs. What a great car this is. It would not take to much to clone it today.

[​IMG]

Another photo from the Larry Watson Personal Collection shows the last version of the Jim Doss 1958 Chevy. Angle Hair on the floor and fuzzy steering wheel cover shows this version of the car was photographed in the early 1960's. The once very elegant and less is more gold and candy green Chevy has now been mostly repainted by Larry with more panels and fades added to score more points at the many Custom Car shows.

This photo also shows that the once painted gold door jambs are now repainted with a pearl mist green, the same color replaces the gold on the exterior. Other than new paint it looks like the car still has all the original body work done by Walkers Body Shop in Bakersfield, left the same. EVen the 1959 Pontiac Catalina taillights are still the same. This photo also gives us a good look in the fully upholstered trunk. I guess this car was in for many awards during the couple of years Jim showed it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. sled

sled

Rick,there are not enuff words to Thank You ...love this thread,a blast to see every time...
    Do you perhaps plan a book on Larry?..it will be a hit

5. Thanks Rik, amazing stuff.......!

6. Lurker, there's a pic of a 56 just like the one pictured with the same side trim treatment in the new Hot Rod Deluxe magazine. Its b+w, so I've no idea what color it is, but there couldn't have been very many cars with that trim treatment...

7. That photo of the Golden Sahara mentions that Jim Roth painted the pearl. George Barris has told the story of getting fish scales at the market to paint that car. Whoever painted it, it is a wild pearl that just lights up. Great shot. Larry Watsons shop must have been a really cool place to hang out. I saw that hauler and the two cars about a year later (1959) in Florida.

8. mikes51

mikes51

quote Rikster
    And here are two more photos from the collection.

[​IMG]

On second thought, might be the same paint with gold show lighting.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  9. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

Did Larry Watson ever paint a 59 or 60 buick? I've never seen pictures of either.

10. Best thread ever. Thanks Rik

11. Rikster

Rikster

This is the only one I have ever seen photos of... but only in progress, none of the finished car.

[​IMG]

12. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

What a great color! Thanks Rik.

13. I wanna see any trucks he painted. 57-60 ford??

14. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

Just bumping it back up......looking forward to new pics.

15. zep058

zep058

Beat me to it PUMPKINHEAD.

Happy New Year Rik, looking forward to seeing this thread and Larry's images continue in 2013!

16. Have we reached the end of the Watson photos or are there more? That is a bunch of photos, thankfully Watson recorded his work.

17. bob-o

bob-o

From what I've heard, Larry had thousands of pics in his collection. I think Rik's just busy with other projects at the moment.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  18. 54hotrodder

54hotrodder

IM truly in love with this 55.:cool:

19. bob-o

bob-o

That's Al Lazarus' '55 prior to its trademark "Seaweed" flame job.

A little known fact about this car is that almost every chassis/suspension component was chromed.

20. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

C'mon Rik time for a fix

21. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

I hope that this thread is not dead.

Help us out Rik! We need more pictures.

Please? ;)

22. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

I am so disappointed. I saw this thread with a new post and I got excited thinking Rik posted something.

Hey Rik: Got anythign to share with us?

23. Rikster

Rikster

Here is one...

Perhaps I post more later.

La Vonne Bathke of Lakewoond California owned a 1958 Corvette that had a series of Custom paint jobs done by Larry Watson.
    Shown here is possibly the nicest version of them all. Done in a candy red with white outlines around the body contours creating the illusion of a much slimmer body. The outlines are pinstriped in gold. In the cove panel Larry added some really nice sea-weed type overlapping flames that where done in candy red and gold. The four bar hubcaps on gold painted wheels, the white walls, the white tuck & roll interior, lake pipes and dummy spotlights are ale typical for the era this car was built. From the Larry Watson Personal Photo Collection.

[​IMG]

24. froghawk

froghawk

Thanks, Rik! I love that car. Probably just as well I hadn't seen that wonderful detail shot of Larry's work in the side cove with intertwining flames and that panel with (I'm assuming) chrome tape when I was working on this 1/25th "tribute." Sure wish I had the hands to really do the car justice!

Attached Files:

25. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

You did !! :D

26. Rikster

Rikster

your model looks stunning froghawk. I saw it on the Spotlight message board, and I guess on Facebook... AMAZING!

27. froghawk

froghawk

Thanks, Rik! Means a lot!

Please keep sharing as many of these great shots as you can and contributing your knowledge and passion for customs!

28. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

thanks Rik

froghawk the model is awesome

29. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Thanks Rik, we appreciate your effort here. I personally look forward to seeing new updates to this thread.

30. Damn I like seeing these pics.

Keep them coming if you've still got more.