Register now to get rid of these ads!

St Louis Area: Anyone with tool to pull 3/16" steel/steel Q-rivets?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JPMACHADO, Jan 27, 2013.

1. JPMACHADO

JPMACHADO
    from Not Listed

I would like to use some 3/16 steel body and steel mandrel Q-rivets in my project. Does anyone in the St. Louis area own a neumatic tool to pull these? When I am ready to pull them I would be willing to have everything drilled up and ready to go. We could work out compensation for driving over and installing them.

I have a tool to do aluminum rivets, and have installed a lot of those on a previous project. However, I do not believe my tool can pull the larger steel/steel rivets.

Thanks
    John

2. JPMACHADO

JPMACHADO
    from Not Listed

I am bumping this on the off chance that someone with a tool that can do this, missed the post.

Thanks
    John

3. motorcade 1

motorcade 1

Check into renting one try Inventory Sales Corp. they are in Affton Mo. South St.Louis Co. Good Luck..

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Are these the large rivets like thay use on late model cars for window motors?
    If so you may be able to rent one from oriely.

5. JPMACHADO

JPMACHADO
    from Not Listed

I contacted them over the web. I will let you know if they offer this service. I much appreciate your help.

Thanks,
    John

6. I'll check with Contractor's Welding. They are good friends of ours and right down the street from our shop.

7. JPMACHADO

JPMACHADO
    from Not Listed

No go on this one. Very nice customer service, though.

8. Dennis D

Dennis D

John, if you know anyone who works for Boeing here, they might be able to sign out a rivet gun for you. I know it has been done before, and I know they have a shitload of different rivet tools. Dennis D

9. snaptwo

snaptwo

Our shop used a tool like that for attaching 1/4" 6061 alum plate to the vertical ribs on transfer trailers. You might check with a truck/trailer shop in your area. It was called a "Huck Gun" Hope this helps. S

10. JPMACHADO

JPMACHADO
    from Not Listed

Thanks for advice. I will keep looking for options.

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Here is something you might consider. We have one of the heavy duty tools that has long handles on it and it looks sort of like a bolt cutter, but it doesn't fit in tight spots because of the length. So what we do there is we use a good quality pop rivet tool and we put a piece of tubing over both parts of the handle to make them longer. Surprisingly, it works, even on 3/16 steel rivets. We were afraid it would damage the pop rivet tool, but it didn't.

The point is, depending on how many rivets you have to do you can simply buy a good regular pop rivet tool locally and make it work by doing what I described. We used 2 pieces of one inch id tubing about 2 feet long.

Don

12. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

The "big Daddy" rivit tool will handle those rivits. (hand operated)

They range in price from$179 to $400.