Register now to get rid of these ads!

1941 Chevy Pickup Vin.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rrrwild1, Nov 11, 2010.

1. rrrwild1

rrrwild1

I still need inf. on what I think is a 1941 Chevy Pick up. The Vin Tag shows
    5WB091209. I fell this is a 1941 Chevy Pick up built for the Army before the war because it still has Army Green paint and the pass door doesn't have a door lock, and the vin. has a WB for War Board Vehicle. Any good ideas out there. I want to know what year to put on the Title. My local DMV is waiting on my answer. I don't have much of the truck left to check out other things. I only have the Cab and some of the frame, minus the frame # of course. For some reason the BodyTag was in pretty good condition, so I got the Vin # off it. Thanks, Richard

2. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I don't know for certain, but I believe you have a 1945 model, based on the leading 5. I do have a friend with a '45 model, so I can contact him to confirm. His was in government service until about 1968, and only then titled to the person buyig it from an Power company auction. It was with the power company as part of an infrastructure allocation committed during the war and filled right after the war ended.

I'll reply back here after I talk to him.

3. volksjunky

volksjunky

I'll see what the vin on mine is,I have a 41.I have never seen one with an exterior locking handle on the passenger side and ive parted a few over the years and none of them had it ! I'll get in touch with my father,he has the papers to mine,its being stored at his place in NY.
    PS: Ive only seen one 45 out of all the trucks Ive come across.They all seem to be 41 or 46's....

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  4. rrrwild1

rrrwild1

THANK You.

5. rrrwild1

rrrwild1

Mine doen't have a Lock on the Pass. Door, just the handle. The 5 in the beging of the Vin means it was made it Kansas City, KS. The 09 means it was built in Sept. I feel the WB is The War Board. If my idea holds true then it was built in Sept. of 1942 after the Attack. Does this mean it would have a 1941 or 1942 Year on the Title. I only have the Cab and Vin. Tag, no Frame. The Cab is Green and the Outer Trin is a Crean color, but that could of been added years later. Any HELP out there??? Vin complete ID is: 5WB091270. rrrwild1

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  6. Wartime trucks had little or no chrome, so the trim you speak of would have been painted originally if your hunches are correct.

SS327 likes this.
  7. rrrwild1

rrrwild1

My truck has War Board in the ID no. and it was Built in Sept., and was the 269th one off the line the Model year it was made. I feel it would have to be a 1942 can't be a 1941 unless they used WB in the ID before the War??. It also has no Chrome or Holes for Chrome. and the Cab has no exterior Locks on the Doors. Please Help, I just want to have a correct year to tell DMV to the best of my / our ability.

8. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

First time I've heard of War Board,,
    guess I will learn something new,,
    my stock truck has a ca dmv issued vin,,

9. fat141

fat141

If you have the chassis, then the chassis # is on left hand side (facing the front), about 10 inches rear of the front axle and on the side, not the top, of the frame. My chassis # is 11344860 if this helps. US chassis, AUSSIE body and mine's a 41.
    Merry Christmas
    Rod

10. Saturnin

Saturnin

my VIN is

Would anyone know how to read that VIN?
    oh and my 1941 chevy pickup is in Canada.

11. txturbo

txturbo

well...even if it was built in 42,43,44...it would still be a 41....even the 46s were 41s as far as I've seen. If they built them during the war thay just used leftover parts from the 41 production inventory from what I've read. Doesn't really matter....just pick one.

12. Where was the VIN tag located. I too own a restored 1941 Chevy pickup that was given to me by my father. Can you let me know where the tag is located. The original paint on mine is also army green. Thank You

13. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

This is an old thread and the original poster hasn’t been on the HAMB in almost three years. Good luck.

SS327 likes this.
  14. I found a ID badge on the passenger side cowl of my '41 Chevy truck and I can tell it was fabricated and riveted on. As you can see it is a very bad fake. The original rivet holes are still on the cowl about three inches above the fake tag. Me and my Dad found all his old DMV registrations and the oldest one was from 1970, the year he bought the truck. The registration indicates the truck is a 1941 Chevy Pickup AK series. My most recent registration (2024) says the same. As you can see the fake tag shows two numbers (46) by themselves along with other isolated numbers.
    Is there any way to replace or restamp a accurate VIN plate?

Attached Files:

Toms Dogs likes this.
  15. Toms Dogs

Toms Dogs
    from NJ

16. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2759476860...gBJ8mOPS5m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2748077679...gBJ8mOPS5m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is no distinct "vin" on 41 Chev trucks as depending on what state it was first registered in they Either used the body tag serial number or engine serial number.

The body tag is on the right side of the firewall and the engine serial number is on the stamped pad next to the distributor.

Roger you will want this link as it is the PFd for The GM heritage center info on 1941 Chevy trucks.
    https://www.gm.com/content/dam/comp...its/chevrolet-trucks/1941-Chevrolet-Truck.pdf Screenshot (785).png Screenshot (786).png

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking that that is the legit original firewall tag for the 41 truck.
    6 = Oakland Ca
    AK = 1941 1/2 ton
    12 = December
    4660 = 3559th truck off the line in Oakland for the 41 year model 4660 minus 1001 = 3559.

Also the stamped font and format matches the early Serial numbers on Chevy trucks. Cowl tag 41.jpg Screenshot (787).png

19. The body number tag is attached on passenger cowl, with clutch-head screws, vertically as low as it will go in the recess.

FB_IMG_1575861861216.jpg FB_IMG_1487820741346.jpg FB_IMG_1484364420489.jpg

20. Thank you Swade41. This info has been very helpful. I appreciate that. Mr.48 Chevy sent me some literature that I've yet to read but am looking forward to it. Yours and his response to my inquiry has been great.
    Thank You, "Roger Ortiz Jr"

swade41 likes this.
  21. Great info. Lots of good stuff in that file. Thanks for taking the time to look that up for me. I really appreciate it.

22. Beautiful examples of the body tags and also of the cabs themselves. I really liked how it shows that they used clutch head hardware. Great work. Thanks

swade41 likes this.
  23. Doesn't the tag I show in the photo look unofficial. And why was it riveted on the passenger side cowl where the body tag should've been. I see where the stamping is correct according to literature but the plate itself looks homemade . Oh well,either way all the info did answer most of my questions. I think I'll purchase a repop body tag and attach accordingly. And as far as the plate I showed in photo I'll reattach it for further reference. Thanks a lot bro. I appreciate your time.