Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cadillac w/ manual trans help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by uniqueone, Feb 5, 2013.

1. uniqueone

uniqueone

My eyes are about to pop out of my head. I have been searching the tech archives for days but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Heres what I have:
    Caddy 390
    Cragar bell that will accept 49-64 ford truck trans
    Aluminum flywheel
    going into a 36 IH truck.

I would really like a T5 but don't think the shifter location will work, even with the S10 tail. So I'm thinking a top loader with the shifter coming right of the top but I don't know what ford truck to get one from.

Can you help or point me in the right direction? Thanks

2. uniqueone

uniqueone

I had not even thought about the Jeep shifter tower. Got more info on that?

3. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I just took that setup out of my avatar and went to a 5 speed. it's not a truck only adapter it will work with any 3/4 speed ford trans of that vintage.

a quick use of the search function yields this

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699497&highlight=toploader+jeep+shifter

and a bunch of others--there's a link to a full thread on the second post.

FWIW, if you're going to be doing highway driving I'd strongly suggest the t-5. the 390 even with a very mild build REALLY wants/needs another gear at highway speed. If you're just driving around town and pounding on it hard then the toploader's a better choice. just my .02 having driven both.

if you go t-5 make certain it's a v-8 trans. the 4/6 will work for a little while but... at least you'll have the tailshaft for your nextv 8 trans :D:D:D

4. havi

havi

Np435, T18, T19, T98, Tod, are all truck 4 speeds that have the shifter out the top. None are a good match for this application. The top loader 3 sp. in trucks all were column shifted from the factory. You could get a floor shifter adapter, but I think that product is discontinued? not sure. Top loader 4 speeds (the ones worth their salt) are really spendy, and will still only net a 1:1 final drive ratio. Anyway, the T5 is a good choice, but still longer than the stock tranny that IH had, so expect some shifter location figuring, and crossmember fab. IIRC, it's about 7" further back than the top shifter for the S10 variant. Personally, I'd search out a WC T5 from a Mustang, and look at adapting the S10 shifter and tail to it. Another possiblity is the Jeep 5 speed as mentioned by Flat Ernie in that other thread.

5. I had a 4speed behind my 331, just swapped in a Tremec TKO - best choice I ever made!
    Drives like a new car now and get close to 20mpg, but when I want to hammer it like I used to with the 4 speed I still can now!

6. FatDaddy53

FatDaddy53

i just picked up a 331 with an adapter plate to a 49 merc 3 speed o/d... anybody ever heard of this?

7. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I just missed a trimec when I did my swap--kick myself for not pulling the trigger sooner so I could have that one.

as for the t-5 to that bell, you'll need a standard mustang etc. t-5 adapter. you're essentially stacking adapters to gain the 3/4 inch or so you'll need to accomodate the difference in shaft length. you can pick these up for less than $100 bolt in. I didn't do this only because I sold my 4 speed setup for enought to buy a kit from wilcap and have some leftover.

FYI the setup you've got originally used the early style flywheel from the 6v cars. If you've got a good starter you're fine. I went through 4 differnt 6v starters before I ended up having Wilcap make a new flywheel to to use the later style 12V starter (I think it was a 176 tooth vs 153) that allowed me to use the much more readily avialable and cheaper 12 cad starters with some minor modifications. Wilcap also has pilot bushings.

8. uniqueone

uniqueone

Thanks guys, I'm going to look at a T5 later today. I sure did want that extra gear so looks like ill have to make the shifter location work.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

you won't regret it. if you find a round shaft shifter handle you can heat and relocate it as needed.