Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ala Kart Grill shell

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kellys Hot Rod Parts, Dec 16, 2009.

1. We are in the process of building a grill shell in the style of the famous Ala Kart style for our 1928 Metalflake A Sedan. If we built a few to sell is there any intrest in them? Anyone have this part or a mold of it for sale??Sure would make my life easier ,to many irons in the fire allready!! 60's KUSTOM SHOW RODS RULE!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  2. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

price dictates need.... I think it would be cool for even a wall hanger in my shop, but I think price would make it so I would not need one.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Almquist and probably others used to sell such a radiator shell/headlamp assembly. Wonder if the moulds have survived somewhere?

4. 5Wcoupe

5Wcoupe
    from L.A., Ca.

Just wondering are we talking Glass or steel?

5. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Ones already been produced by a guy by the name of Scott Jezack and its a fiberglass mold....Its been awhile but if my memory serves me right it was a topic here several years ago & one of the 1st ones sold was used on a bitchin candy green roadster with a Hemi...Somebody got to remember the car it was in Rod & Kustom..Theres a local orange Model A coupe thats running one too..I have the guys contact info somewhere...I'll find it!!

UPDATE: I found his new link so check it out!!

http://www.riroadster.com/parts/QG021.html

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  6. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Holy Crap Tom, for such a young guy, how the hell did you get all that old guy shit packed into your head???

The Ala Kart repro grille and headlight surrounds would really make a fantastic wall hanging. However, my wife thinks that if that shows up in our already crammed with car crap house, that the only thing hanging from the wall will be me! WHAT TO DO, WHAT TO DO???

7. Scotch

Scotch

Krusty-

Just do it. You know you want to...The only decision you've got left is what color flake you'll paint it.

Get your wife something nice right before the grille shell shows up at your door. That'll work.

8. Here is a photo shop picture with the grill added thanks to H.A.M.B. member James D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  9. Ala Kart style grill buck now under constuction. We will be selling a version in fiberglass complete with headlight doors and grill in the near future.

Attached Files:

10. Deathtrap Kustoms

Deathtrap Kustoms

You did see Dat Dirty Rat's post where you can buy THE grill for $295.00. You saw that right????

11. I did contact Road Island Roadster about purchasing some of their grill shells, they were going to check shipping for me and I never heard from them again, they never returned my calls after leaving my number on their machine numerious times. After looking at the part they build I determined it was not what I had invisioned, I have experience in fiberglass mold buiding and decided to more closely replicate the original. Kelly

12. Re: Ala Kart Grill shell

Attached Files:

13. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

to cool good luck with your grill shell i like the color green your car is painted ,

14. Here is the correct grill shell...........

Attached Files:

15. Re: Ala Kart style grill shell fiberglass buck progress::

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  16. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

You are doing some nice work on that buck...without much more work you could make it into a hammerform and build metal shells. Take a look at Ron Covell's DVD on hammerforming. I took one of his workshops and found that all the parts I had been making from glass could almost as easily be made from steel. Keep up the good work!

17. Re: Ala Kart style Grill shell, fiberglass buck progress. Next the mold!!

Attached Files:

18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Any updates? Gary

19. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Nice work! What are the steps required to get from what we see in post #15 and post #17? Do you have those pix to share?

And yes, I know this thread is old.

20. The project is on hold while I try to finish up my major rod projects.I will see what I have in pictures of the progress of the build in the mean time if you look closely can can see it on the shop wall shop....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  21. Thats gunna look awsome on there n conrats on how its turnin out!

22. flathead okie

flathead okie

what radiator would fit your grill when it;s finished and ready to sell to the public? I'm building an A coupe in '60's style and am interested in cost also.

23. abone1930

abone1930

Does anybody know where to find some chrome bullet like that are in tha ala kart grill ?

24. We sell chrome bullets!! let us know how many you need and what size....Kelly

25. abone1930

abone1930

Where are they at on your website?

26. we do not have everything we sell on the site contact us for information at 715-793-4283

27. I am swamped and would like to find someone to build the mold off of the Ala Kart style plug I built...I would also be interested in having someone else make the parts off the mold for our company...Prefer someone within Wi if possible...thanks Kelly

28. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

That would be cool as hell. For the right price I'd even get a shell. I'd make a shelf out of it to hold my Ala Kart models ive gotten over the years and hang it next to my hot rod gang poster!

29. syxxstring

syxxstring

Definitely could be a cool wall art piece. Not sure it would fit my 61 falcons.

30. Moved and I am ready to get this project to the next level...Anyone in or near Wi willing to make the mold for me???