Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wanna get her fired up..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FarmerSid, Feb 5, 2013.

1. FarmerSid

FarmerSid

Hey all! Just got me a 3 window 52 Chevy 1/2 ton. It's still wired 6V positive ground. Engine turns over fine and has clean oil. This is going to be a multi year project (3-5 yrs). What I would like to do is get the engine running so it can move under it's own power so I can move it in and out of my garage. Don't have the room to leave it permanently. Can anybody help me jimmy rig the wiring so that I can use a 12V battery to start it to move it around? My plan is not to restore this truck to "off the showroom floor" but to make it look somewhat stock looking on the outside but modern underneith. Just want to start it so it can move around on it's own. Thanks for the help!

2. fnla39

fnla39

Does it have any kind of wiring right now or stripped of all?

3. FarmerSid

FarmerSid

It's wired but I have no idea if it's intact. There is a relay type thing hanging down from under the dash and I believe it goes to the key switch. It has a 6V voltage regulator on the fire wall and a generator. Just looking to get it to move under it's own power until I'm ready to remove the cab and work on it.

4. fnla39

fnla39

Battery pos to starter, hot wire from there to key switch, other side of switch to foot starter, then foot starter to small post on solenoid. Hot wire from let switch to pos side of 12v coil, other side of coil wire through a resistor to distributor. Unhook all your fuel gauge and heater fan. All the bulbs will blow, but if your converting to 12v all will be replaced later anyway. I think that covers it. Someone can correct me if I forgot something.

5. FarmerSid

FarmerSid

6. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

You say it turns over fine, does that mean you put a 6V battery in and it turns over with the key? Or you do you mean the engine turns because you turned it over by hand? Either way, why not just put a fully charged 6V in it and try to start it. If you've got good points and there set and fresh gas it should run. Or if its stubborn and wont fire right up on a 6V throw a 12V in and just dont turn any lights on. Listen for sparks when you hook up the battery and the smell of burning wires.

7. FarmerSid

FarmerSid

All I have done so far is hooked up a 12V battery to the starter. Negative lead to post on starter and positive clamp to frame. I then just pressed the starter button in the cab with my foot. The key switch seems to be stuck as it will not turn with the key in it. I know I will not get any spark without the key on. At that point I was just figuring out if it was still 6V and either positive or negative ground and the starter even worked. That I have figured out now. Maybe I should look into getting a copy of the factory wiring schematic and wire it correctly and disconnect the 6V devices to avoid damaging them? What would be a smarter thing to do? You never know, maybe when the body work is all complete, I may not be in a position to install a modern drive train at that time and if I fix the current wiring for what I want to do right now, it will be ready to legally put it on the road. Is this a way I should be maybe thinking?

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

They are supposed to be negative ground,the only positive ground GM vehicle was the GMC trucks.

9. FarmerSid

FarmerSid

Now you have me second guessing myself and what I did. Either way, the starter engaged and she turned over no problem.

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It will work positive ground but you will have a hard time finding electrical parts that way unless you use Brittish stuff.

11. Mattbee

Mattbee

Worked on a Rambler that had a 6v system. We had to get it running and it didn't matter how. We bypassed all the wiring and put a 12v battery directly to the starter and hooked up a switch to it. Then we used a 6v battery for the ignition and hooked up a switch for the ignition. It worked good for just getting it to move around! Two batterys and two switches.

12. FarmerSid

FarmerSid

Anybody have a wiring schematic for this 51 truck? I was out there playing with it and it indeed is wired 6V negative ground. Key switch it very touchy. 90% of the time the key won't turn. I borrowed a 6V battery out of an old cockshutt tractor to use but not yet sure if it is any good. Gonna let it warm up and charge it. Could I not replace the key switch with a toggle switch? If I can do this and throw the 6V battery in and try it, this would make things easier. Tons of wires on the back of the key switch which I have no idea where they go or do. If anybody can offer up a simple wiring plan to flip a toggle switch and press the foot starter pedal, that would help out greatly.

13. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ditto, the neg ground........As far as I remember, Ford was the only holdout for pos. ground, on 6v. vehicles. I'd dig up some old Motor Manuals,.....they had just about any bit of info one would ever need.

4TTRUK

14. cool project! time to join the stovebolt.com site!

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Had a 51 3/4 ton on the farm that had a toggle switch for the ignition,just find a the wire that goes to the coil and a constant hot wire and hook the toggle switch to the two wires.