Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thinking of building a "Speedster" out of this

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Driveway builder, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

Got this on Sat. not far from my house. Yes it was in a barn for yrs, but tired of the "barn find" thing. Came with the banger and trans. I just layed the pickup bed on it to fit in my barn. Thers not much there body wise, but I always liked the first hot rods... speedsters. Does anyone know if speedsters ran fenders or were they all open wheels?? And did guys just make the gas tanks that are usually behind the seat or were they like oldschool speed parts?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

3. The tank behind the the cockpit was a T tank or a sutible substitute.

I have seen them with and without fenders as well as seeing them with no more than a cowl and a couple of seats. Sppedsters were most commonly built from a model T. You may be thinking of a lakes roadster which would have been the natural progression from speedsters.

Ok disregard my last statement all you have is a cowl. For whatever reason when I looked at the first pic it looked like you had the front portion of a touring.

4. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

As for design-wise, most speedsters, except maybe some of the earliest ones, seem to be fenderless. To me, Model-A speedsters have to hve some sort of full body, think early streamlining. Frankly, I think Model-A's done up with an early Stutz Bearcat "couch-on-a-flat-piece-o-plywood-with-a-gas-tank-trown-on-top" setup are kinda rediculous. Its trying to make a 1920's car look like a 1900's car.

5. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Here's what I'm talking about: this one's a T, but shows where most speedsters were headed by the late '20s...
    [​IMG]

6. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Looks like you have a lot of stuff there to build a full fendered rpu. I think that's the direction I would go in.....but it ain't mine.

7. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

Did a "lakes roadster" just have a cowl and seats, or is that when the had a boat tail and sides with no doors? This thing I have was used as a kind of "doodle bug" or tractor on a farm. the hood and grill I just layed on there to look at. That hood Just made me think speedster, though. :)

8. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Here's what I think of when I hear "lakes roadster"

[​IMG]

9. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

this is what I was thinking...[​IMG]

10. Looks like you have a great start!

There have been a few Model A speedsters built here on the HAMB, if you do a search, you'll find them (and if I can, I'll try to get you the links).

Also, check out NWVS.org- there are some very nice builds there, as well!

Where are you in PA (I grew up in Narberth)?

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Winner! Funny, you asked about fenders or not, yet you have a fenderless pic. That's the look I'd go after.

12. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

I don't know why I like it, but I think it looks like it would be fun to hit the high speed of 50 mph in. lol

13. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Way cool!! Please start a build thread

14. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

Thanks buddy, sounds good. I'm in limerick, kind of between philly and reading

15. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

16. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

haha yea, I was just trying to use the fenders cause they came with it, but looks much better without them.

17. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

18. fleetside66

fleetside66

If I had a another lifetime, that speedster would be on my to do" list, that's for sure. Go for it...fenderless of course. Next time I'm golfing at your Limerick golf course, I stop in & check up on your progress. Good luck to you!

19. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I'm convinced, that is cool!

20. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

If it was the only car I had, I probally wouldn't pick a speedster as my build... but I think with the parts I have and what I picked up on sat. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but it looks like a real simple build. Hopefully a cheap build, too.

21. Heck, I know Limerick- used to work for Bob Robinson in Schwenksville!

Speedster builds can be fun, easy, and inexpsensive... but once you start looking for those special/unique parts, they can get pricey :D

And you can sell off the fenders, bed, etc to help with expenses!

22. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

The fenders depend on your personel taste, your wife/girl friend, and state laws. I leave them off! You can also get the parts you are missing from Brookville and have a rpu for about the same $. Good start!

23. Ben DeBumper

Ben DeBumper

I believe that was built from a Rootlieb kit, like mine.

Attached Files:

24. Squablow

Squablow

I was in the Great Race twice, we ran Model A speedsters. They're surprisingly fast if you have the driveshaft splitter overdrive. That and juice brakes makes a very highway capable car.

We had one with fenders and one without, I preferred without. Some guys do the board with a box and a tank and some guys cut out a 40's car hood to make a boat tail, with cut out doors. Either way, they are a ton of fun to drive and ride around in, more fun than you'd think, I'd build another one if I had what you have.

25. bobadame

bobadame

26. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

Ben DeBumper, that thing is cool! I didn't know they sold kits to build speedsters... thought they were all just home made.

27. Ben DeBumper

Ben DeBumper

28. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

they have no price on the kit, do you remember how much the floor and seat with tank was?

29. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

HOLLY CRAPPPP!!! I just found a price on a kit... around 5600. plus 350. to 500. for truck freight shipping. I could buy a nice roadster body for that!

30. Ben DeBumper

Ben DeBumper

That's about right. The previous owner of my car installed the kit; I wouldn't have bought one myself. It is much cheaper if you don't buy the fenders and windshield though.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad