Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I need some friggin help here!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 30modelcoupe, Feb 3, 2013.

1. manyolcars

manyolcars

I think you left out the high compression head. That makes more difference than everything else you mentioned,--- Combined.

2. jack orchard

jack orchard

If you decide to proceed with the build and the existing frame is not too rusty (or the rust can be cut out and repaired), box it yourself. Don't underestimate your abilities. This is as good of a time as any to learn. Get help as needed. You will be glad when you see the results. Good luck...jack

3. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

i have a boxed model a frame sitting in my back yard... 450.

4. Fenders

Fenders

Yah, Pop had this coupe, been in the family for over 80 years, then he went and tore it up, made a hot rod out of it, screwed it up, sold it.... I hear Gramps rolling in his grave... Wish Pop had saved it for me as it was ....

5. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

You stated that you had the original 4 banger rebuilt. Did you mean the original engine that came in the car? Does it have the serial number stamped in it that matches the Title, and the frame? That's pretty uncommon, I would think long and hard before I separated them. I like Y-Blocks a lot but they are pretty long for a stock Model A engine compartment. I think you should measure the Y-Block that you wish to use from the front of the fan to the rear of the distributor cap and add an inch and a half then figure out how you can get it in there.

6. goetzcr

goetzcr

Interesting post. I'm actually in the same boat. Although my 29 roadster has only been in the family since my dad bought it in jr high (late 50's).

I personally want to use as much of the original car as possible (yes, I realize that's not much % by weight:)). I also have no qualms about rodding it. Matter of fact my dad said, "do what you want," and showed me some old HR magazine clippings he'd saved as ideas. I say, if you want to use the frame, box it and use it. Also, I am a mere Newbie, but I think spending the coin on having the frame professionally boxed is wise. I'm going to learn welding as part of this (long-term) project, but I don't think I'll cut my teeth by welding up my frame:eek:. As far as going with a 32 chassis, that's all up to you. I plan on going full-fendered, so the original 29 frame will suit my purpose just fine.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide. I think sometimes on the HAMB the "why's" are just as interesting as the "how's" and "what's".

7. BeefThunder

BeefThunder

for the price of a new frame, you could get a more then sufficient welder and figure it out...new frame or not, your gonna have to figure out and weld motor mounts after the fact of boxing, or new frame.I personally really enjoy the satisfaction of doing yourself. if i were you, id figure out my welding basic's on the frame, then once time came for the motor mounts, youve got some experience.

8. I'm using mine. setting up for a 292
    May be a good time to learn to weld. You're a hot rodder now, right?:eek:

Easy question really, you got more time or money?
    Do you want to learn to weld or assemble a car.

I'm thinking that if you are doing a yblock, you are gonna be be welding.

These guys could make you a nice yblock ready frame, www.bolingbrothers.com

9. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

that's a smokin offer. gotta love the HAMB for stuff like this.

10. a good argument for another frame, wether an original, or new, is you can keep the coupe together while you build the other chassis.
    what is wrong with the banger? what sucks about it?

11. flamingokid

flamingokid

One more vote for restoration.One family ownership is special.

12. yes one family ownership is something to preserve but putting your own "history" in it is more important.
    each resurrection should start it's "life" over.