Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Giant speedster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yonahrr, Apr 25, 2010.

1. yonahrr

yonahrr

I'm trying a new setting on the camera. It looks like a lady wearing a big sun hat. That's what technology has come down to--your index finger moving around a screen and an icon of a lady in a sun hat.

I'm trying to get all the metal work done so I can move on to the holy grail of PAINT. You'll notice that the word PAINT is made up mostly of PAIN with just a T thrown in for fun. I think that's on purpose. Other than the rear fender aprons the last thing is the metal that finishes off the boat tail. What do we call that? Stern plate? I wanted to make it out of brass but since the radiator is nickel (or German silver) I suppose to balance things out the stern should be nickel too. I using stainless because it looks pretty close to nickel and it's readily available and inexpensive (cheap). The metal arrived all beat up but luckily I think I can cut what I need out of it anyway. So here's some choices on the shapes. Some look the same but there are suble differences. Feel free to submit your own.

Jerry

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  2. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

I vote for a gentle continuous curve, similar to #3 and #6 without the flat spot on the bottom.

3. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

From left to right, number three.

4. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

[​IMG]

I would go for straight & traditional with a cap at the top.

5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Top row, number two or three. Like the bow trim on an old Dodge or Gar Wood runabout. Done.

6. Dapostman

Dapostman

I concur.

Like the fourth boat from the left.

7. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

X2...That one just looks right!

8. Giovanni

Giovanni

number three. top right

9. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

Jerry,

Century Boats often had interesting bow pieces. Here is one that would suit the tail of your car. It likely could be fabricated in stainless steel. Coming back over the deck is very helpful in covering the junction of all of the deck sheeting at the "bow". It makes it easier to fit the deck planking & protects it in use.

[​IMG]

10. Easy enough to rattle-can some silver on there in different styles to see what suits your fancy without hacking up 'spensive sheet metal.

There are lots of straight (or mostly straight) lines on that car, so some consistency in the trim might be either too much or not enough. Need something to throw off the public? This might be your opportunity.

11. the dragons tail needs that jagged lightning bolt ,,,
    arrow headed tail
    pizza cutter wheel?

i'll try and work on ASAP

WITH A VERTICLE SLIT FOR A TAIL LITE OOPS

12. Tail of thr pizza dragon

Attached Files:

• TAIL.JPG
      TAIL.JPG
      File size:
      20.4 KB
      Views:
  13. jpgraphics

jpgraphics

Any way to show us what the whole car looks like from the side?...I would like to make a sketch of the boat tail shape, but I think we should take the whole car into account so the shape relates to the rest of the vehicle....there may be a curve in the doors or fenders that will tie in.....

JP

14. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Ahhh, a man after my own heart! I schemed back in the 80s about acquiring a first gen diesel switcher. Just before the M. K. T. (The Katy), was merged into the Union Pacific, they sold off a bunch of old Alcos and even a Baldwin or two! But "oil-well"!! ; )

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  15. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Jerry.Just for the "halibut",google up "cruiser stern".See how that profile would fit the speedster.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

16. I thought you meant in this context:

""Where am I?" asked the drunken hobo.
    "Yonah railroad y'old tosspot", replied the annoyed conductor.:D

Great project by the way - very inspiring build.

Steve

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  17. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Top row #2, it is more in keeping with the overall look of the vehicle.

18. yonahrr

yonahrr

Lots of great suggestions. Side view of the speedster? Search back threw the posts you'll find a bunch. Stern cruiser? Once, I had dreams of sailing a double ended ketch single handed around the world. Now I have dreams of finishing a speedster.

Working on the assumption that it's hard to put metal back I cut out #2 I think. I can cut off the bump on the bottom later if it offends me. The photos make it look bigger or smaller than the eye sees it. Something about the curve.

Lots of renter issues slowing me down this week. Check out the dent that appeared mysteriously in one of my buildings. We reviewed the security tape. At about 6 PM, a mounted tire appeared out of nowhere, came barrelling down the hill at about 50 mph, bounced across the parking lot and slammed into the building. Two minutes later two dudes sauntered down and retrieved it. Weird!

Jerry

Attached Files:

19. Giovanni

Giovanni

Those two dudes must have been driving a triumph ;-P

20. yonahrr

yonahrr

Hah, That's funny. I had the wheel come off a Triumph Spitfire once. It rolled about a mile. It was my fault though. I had the knock off adapters on the wrong sides.

Jerry

21. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

22. yonahrr

yonahrr

I've emailed Jason a few times. He's got a super website. The guy is a real artist--literally! I've got a '22 DB if anyone wants to emulate his project. :) I'm going to study the thread. The top plate of the stern will house the gas filler. I found a giant winged filler cap from something. It sort of looks like a cleat so it'll fit right in. Between it and the passenger cockpit I'd like to put a brass luggage rack of some kind but I haven't found anything I like. I'd like it to resemble the brass rod the boom pulley of my old sailboat used to swing back and forth on only square.

Jerry

23. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Search bar supply for rails, and look at high end curtain rods too for mounting; try Pottery Barn. I built a rack on a boat one time using Home Depot stuff in brass & stainless. Half the cost of boat stuff & better variety available.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

24. yonahrr

yonahrr

Plumbing!

I've been plumbing all week. Ain't B's Bakery ( aintbs.com ) is moving in at Yonah Station and she needed some plumbing changes for her sinks and water heater so I've been plumbing and doing a little electrical stuff. Check out her cakes. Linda is a real artist.

I did manage to pop some holes in the stern piece. I couldn't drill them, the stainless just got hard. My whitney punch popped the holes but I really had to lean on it. I ordered some stainless screws to make threaded rivets out of from MacMaster Carr and they should be here on Monday. I couldn't afford the real thing from Restoration Supply because they would have cost over $50.00. I can make my own for about $10. That leaves $40 for something else. The last sheet metal work is the rear fender aprons. They're going to have to go under the fender supports because of the muffler supports. Maybe I can start on them tomorrow if it's not too cold in the shop. They're saying 21 degrees tonight.

Jerry

Attached Files:

25. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

21, crap, that's cold for you guys!! Yankee weather, LOL!! Fascinating how you are doing this, I want to build something on the other end, something not too much larger than a real Mini-Cooper. Maybe a track roadster, speedster, style, I have an illustration from a depression era pulp info newsletter; "Illustrated Mechanics", kid took a Henderson motorcycle 4 banger engine, "T" axles, Olds steering, cobbled up his own body, etc, its really small!! I can symphathize with you on the renter trauma, my folks used to manage that kind of stuff years ago, and it's so much worse now! They have "rights"!! Stay warm!! Tell "aintb" hi!!

26. yonahrr

yonahrr

[Fairlane Mike;I want to build something on the other end--really small!!]

I like it! I can hang it off the rear of the speedster on davits like a life boat!

Seriously, something fast and small would be awesome--and quicker to build.

Jerry

27. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

Here is an example of a tiny "speedster".. Ford V8 - 60, altered T frame, Ford A rear axle with Chevrolet gears - locked spider gears, one wheel brakes, 12" wheels & aluminum body.

Goes like stink! I would not suggest the locked differential for general use since, particularly on dirt, you need to let off on the accelerator to steer in a corner.

Attached Files:

28. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Well Jerry and Jack, I'll certainly see if I can engineer in a Christmas tree hook on mine, start thinking about a davit build! LOL!! If I can master the thread starter and get my goofy scanner to function, I'll start it. As I mentioned that depression era publication has inspired me to no end! Jack, thanks for sharing; Chev gears, do you know what kind, that's an idea, because the early Ford stuff is probably what I'll use. There's a farm sale this weekend close by, I'll be looking for building material! Have a great day guys!! Mike.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  29. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Jack, I studied that pic, that's pretty darn close. Nice car, is it yours? Like I say, computer gremlins, but my personal geek; my 20 yr old son will "Git er dun"!! Thanks for sharing, what is the Yellow Cab car, that looks like fun!

30. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

The little car was mine for about 20 years but after the county paved all of the roads around me, my dirt track was gone so I traded it off on some other iron. The locked diff. is not safe on pavement. Unless you were dedicated to dirt track racing I would not use a locked diff. & I would put brakes on both back wheels.

The yellow car is a 1925 Dodge Brothers Business Sedan. It never was a taxi, actually has 20,000 miles on it, but when I repainted it about 30 years back it really needed to be more than all black. It has actually earned its keep in many movie productions. Fun --- yes!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013