Register now to get rid of these ads!

gm 6-71 blower

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod0317, Oct 7, 2012.

1. hotrod0317

hotrod0317

Just scored a good (no scratches or gouges inside) supercharger off of a detroit diesel motor for 75 bucks :D. What do i have to do to this to convert it to bolt down on a intake? also does anyone know if there was ever a amc intake for this style of blower ever made? I will post pictures tomorrow.

2. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

You probably wasted $75.00. Takes much more than the average enthusiast can handle to convert to gasoline V-8.

Bearings/seals/rotors/covers all have to be modified/changed. If it came off of a straight six. The mount flange has to be removed. Then figure out a drive system. The blower drive shafts start out at over $100.00. Pulleys $$$$$$$

3. shane85

shane85

deans blowers. look him up!

4. 1964reo

1964reo
    from mn

i have sold over 20 of them to a blower shop for between 200.00 to 300.00 each there is no way you can do it youselft it take alot of speceal tools

5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In one of my Dads old Hot Rod or Car Craft magazines {late 50's early 60's} there was a how to story on converting a blower to go on a V8. Told how much to turn down the rotors . But wouldn't the seals be the same. All it is doing is pushing air. The blower is sealed so it dosn't suck the oil out of the lube system. That would cause a run away engine and lots off flying parts.
    I don't know where all those magazines went :(

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  7. st cloud rustoms

st cloud rustoms

x2, got all my stuff from him to convert my 8v71 to use on a gas motor.

8. Really? Mine got sent out, i scrounged up used parts here and there. did everything i could myself and probably got less than 1K in the whole blower setup

Stevie G likes this.
  9. Uptown83

Uptown83

I tried to put one together... I had to send it off after :) I dont think you wasted money on it though. 75 bucks is a good buy.

10. Oh yea, but who did the guys send them to before there were guys to send them to?
    Now these guys who wake up to blowers on their doorstep learned it from someplace, wonder where or how ?

Blowers aren't exactly cheap but they don't have to equate to financial rape as long as you're not afraid to learn something or get your hands dirty.

75.00 is a great deal and " Deans " is a good place to get things going

11. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

What series Detroit? 53, 71, 92? It needs to be off an inline for the hold down bolts along the base, or you'll be fabricating a manifold for a thru-bolt case that will be very hard to make work.
    It needs to sized for your application as well. 6 or 10-71 for most V-8 auto engines. Blower race parts like bearing plates, drive housing and belt pulleys, etc. used to be common at swap meets where someone had grenaded the case and rotors.

2 cycle Detroits have been out of production for decades. If your blower ( http://www.ge-energy.com/products_and_services/products/blowers/index.jsp ) has not been honed and rebuilt out of tolerance, then sell it for a good profit to a rebuilder and use the $$$.00 toward a supercharger for the purpose. Tom S.

12. hotrod0317

hotrod0317

This is exactly the information I was looking for. I might start to clean and build the blower here soon. I will probably start a thread on a step-by-step process with tons of pictures and information.

The blower was off of an old massive forklift mounted on the side of the detroit diesel. basically long story short i went to look at a car the guy had for sale and he was dragging this blown up motor (rod through the side) from in from in front of the car. I asked him about what he was going to do with the motor and he said scrap. So i offered him 25 for the blower and he countered with an offer of 100 so i offered him the asking price for the car he was selling me plus 75 dollars. and 30 minutes later i had the blower in the bed of my truck and a car on my trailer.

But i got a running twin turbo mitsubishi (foreign pos) and a blower for 875. I plan on flipping the car for a little profit just because i can make about 3k profit easily after replacing the fuel pump. Ill say this if i can make some decent money ill work on about anything even though i despise these throw away cars.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Didn't know you had to do more than pin the rotors and install a drive and maybe a new backplate.

vega1 likes this.
  14. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Refer to the OP's title on this post......

15. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

It can be done in your garage
    I did my own 6-71, machined the cases, double pinned the rotors. bought a used drive.
    Street blowers don't need Teflon seals. 11,000 miles, 15% underdriven, 7psi boost.
    machinist by trade.

Ago

16. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

I stand by my statement. I used to do these all the time. Still have some welded cases. A nice like new 3-71 on display at the shop.

MOST cases, bought by people that don't know any better, end up disassembled and never built.

Bet there's a ton of the amc blower manifolds out there!!

17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Easy to do, remove rotors, pin and reverse them. Clearancing is a mechanical act, simple once you try it. Check with feeler gauges. Neoprene seals were always the way to go, as were steel gears and accessory backplate.

Rich Hansen (Hansen Superchargers/Long Beach) taught me. (and we did two in a couple of hours)

18. hotrod0317

hotrod0317

I believe this is a 6-71 blower took some pictures so let me know if I am wrong but I am pretty sharp on some stuff.

Attached Files:

19. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a 6-71 alright.. Nice score if the insides look good. Yes, you can do it yourself. Do LOTS of research first...talk to Rick Dean and if you still want to do it yourself, you can handle it if you are honest with yourself about your skill level.

On the other hand, you can send your blower to Rick Dean and he can do everything it takes to be ready to bolt on for less than you might think. Having Rick do your conversion is definately worth the piece of mind.

Good luck, -Abone.

20. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rick Dean is deanblowers.com or 360 451 2119, he is in Washington state. Rick will rebuild your core ready to bolt on for 475 bucks. He did mine about 80K miles ago and it is still perfect.

Blower Drive Service sells a blower manifold for AMC V-8s part # 8106a $991.00. Yea, that is alot of money, but for AMC parts, it is not out of line. Or, if you have an aluminum intake, there are a few blower shops like Littlefield, Mooneyham etc, that will machine/weld a 6-71 plate to your manifold...that might be a bit cheaper than the BDS unit.

You will have 475 in the blower rebuild if Rick does it, say a grand in the manifold then another 500 in the drive. (idler, crank hub, belt, pulleys, snout) So for 2K you could have a big woofer poking through your hood and impress not only the local gear heads, but the ladies too....

Good luck, -Abone.

21. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

X2 met him at the last swap meet, nice guy (even though he bought all the blowers that i needed) lol

22. hotrod0317

hotrod0317

I think I might do allot of the work myself. That being said if I get to a part and do not feel comfortable (think i might screw it up) doing a part of the build I will probably send it out after I get the work I am comfortable doing completed.

I think I will have to sit down and read everything slowly and understand the ins-and-outs of what it is I am about to do before I even start. I do not want to have to wait for another few years to get a good cheap blower.

23. badsix

badsix
    from oregon

all you need to do is get an aftermarket rear end plate with hi speed sealed bearings. then do the same with seals on the front stock plate. you don't want teflon or any other seals on the rotors, this is for drag racers. you don't want them on the street. be carefull when you disassemble it. you'll need a special tool to remove the gears, it pulls both gears at the same time. you should be able to fab one up, they usualy come off easy. from their your ready for a drive system ( save your money ) get a catalog from BDS they use to have a lot of info on doing blowers

24. deanblowers

deanblowers
    from hood canal

that 31 vicky is just f-ing bad ass, i want one. as for $75 and a bad deal , some guys want to be a gear head, others are, I have over 4000 customurs that did it them selfs, 400 bought my cd on how to do it with basic tools. you know the the problem with guys that thnink they knoiw it all? they annoy those of us that do! Dean Blowers:cool:

25. deanblowers

deanblowers
    from hood canal

Better late than never.

26. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

They annoy those of us that do! Great line!

Oh, I'm sorry......

27. 1953 olds guy

1953 olds guy

R&P BLOWER SERV. in Ia. does a great job on rebuilding for the st. and comp. Machine case, pin rotors,custom rear bearing plate, glass bead or show polish. They have been doing it for 45 yrs, 319-234-8679