Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford F 1 brake question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deucendude, Feb 3, 2013.

1. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

Ford F 1 brake drums. Is there a Front brake drum that will fit an F 1 that has a 5 on 4 1/2 inch bolt pattern? I am restoring a Deuce roadster to 1959 hot rod standards and I am going to use the F 1 brakes on the front. Any help? Thanks JIm

2. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

3. I used 'Shoebox drums/hubs with F100 backing plates on my '29 Model A .

4. i just bought a 49- f-1 . some one had put a 9 inch rear end under it, and the front drums are early? ford car with the 4.5 bolt pattern. the king pins and spindles were not changed. i still am trying to figure this one out

5. 37RAT

37RAT
    from Wisconsin

I recently bought 86' F-150 Ford rear drums for my F-1 spindles. Everything is a perfect match, center dia., drum height, backing plate fit. I redrilled mine for the wheels I'm going to be using. These drums are a lot less than the $95 to $140 price I found for 46' F-1 front drums---

6. Beau

Beau

I have them sitting right here in the box, NAPA part number 440-1455

Rear drums from a later Model Ford. They have a tad wider braking surface than the stock F1 drums. About $40 each.

Credit goes to Rich B.

EDIT: Sorry, these are 5x5.5" bolt pattern to fit stock F1 hubs and spindles.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  7. Sounds to me like you have '49-'56 Car drums and hubs . Much the same deal as I mentioned in my post above yours .

8. 55willys

55willys

I might have access to a pair of 50 drums/hubs PM me if you want and I will check on them.

9. Could you expand on this a little more, which bearings and seals etc. How did you end up with 11" brakes, did you use wagon hubs and drums, or are were the shoebox Fords built with bigger brakes in your country? The last '50 sedan I did the brakes on had 10" brakes.

10. 55willys

55willys

That is what I saw when I looked that the 50 had 10" brakes

11. My apologies guys :eek: . I been back and had a look at how I did it ( was 5 years ago and many many projects since ) and I used the F100 backing plates and the 49-56 car hubs ( to get the 5 on 4.5 pattern ) and drilled the F100 drums to suit . Sorry for the confusion - ain't getting older a bitch!

12. chudm71

chudm71
    from Perryton

Can these be used on the front also, or only the rear. Interesting thread....

13. now i am confused. the truck i just bought, a roler, has 5 lug, 4.5 inch hubs and the small drums with f-1 backing plates. hell,i dont know

14. On the front they can be used as an economical alternative to the expensive reproduction F-1 drums.

If you are also asking about rear drums for an F-1, the rear drums are readily available in the replacement parts market as they were used by Ford into the 60's.

15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

IMHO a 1959 era hot rod would not have a 4.5 " bolt pattern. The 5.5" is more likely to be the norm at that time period. I'd use the standard 5.5" bolt pattern to make it more accurate. That's JMHO. I have F1 brakes on my 34 PU. and I can use real old Ford wheels and have to run modern reproduction wheels that I have on my 8" Ford rear end. I don't like the look. My repro wheels do not have the cooling slots that the original Ford wheels have. I'm anal about this stuff I know. so shoot me.:D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013