Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's Talk Cyclecars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Dec 4, 2007.

1. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Nicely done Talgil. Sometimes the best way to learn how to do stuff is just by doing it. You can watch someone make an aluminum bowl many times, but until you lay the piece of aluminum on the sandbag and hit it with the mallet you really have no idea what happens. That is when it really starts to be fun.

2. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Puegeot Skiff

Attached Files:

Outback likes this.
  3. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Robin pics...

Attached Files:

4. Airhead Roadster

Airhead Roadster

Thanks Talgil. Those pics and tips are very helpful and motivating. I especially like the tip about bolting the panels together then removing them one by one and replacing with rivets as you go. I purchased some punched louvered panels and was planning to affix them the same way you did, so that was nice to see as well. Looks like I need to add a sandbag and wooden mallets to my shopping list! I just purchased a tube roller and have been trying to decide if I should make my body substructure using square or round tube.

5. bobadame

bobadame

I'm at the same stage. Also trying to decide whether to make a body and put seats in it, or to make the seats be part of the body. Probably the latter to save space. It greatly influences the overall style of the car.

6. SanctaRosa

SanctaRosa

That Peugeot is a thing of beauty Bob,

French plan for a wooden cyclecar. These are the pages with the main drawings on them, if any French reader wants the rest of the pages let me know and I'll post them as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Talgil

Talgil
    from Luxembourg

I do very much like that blue cyclecar with aluminum body. Bobin steering, belt drive, ... it must be the experience of a lifetime driving this at speed. (Remembers me the report of 'Bloody Mary', ...built with the purpose to drive around the field as dangerously as possible. :D) The pictures taken are great and I hardly could imagine these two men driving another car. What make is it? Any other information accessible?
    I have now finished my handbrake, after three weekends! All I had was the rusty lever with my second chassis. Had to produce the other bits. Didn't think this would take so much time. The spring I fitted first was too soft and did not hold the finger in place when the hand brake was applied. Did not know the softness/hardness of the spring in this application was such important.

Attached Files:

8. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Talgil,you can't be too far from England? you could drive to the next Festival of Slowth.The anit- event to the Goodwood Festival of Speed.That is where the pictures of the blue car were taken.Perhaps,Ade can identify the car as he was in attendance that day.

BanjeauX Bob

9. Talgil

Talgil
    from Luxembourg

Thanks banjeaux bob. I did read the report of the festival of slowth in 'The Automobile'. I was most impressed, and seem to remember the event was 'on invitation only'. Hope to get one when my little Talbot will be finished !
    Do not know if this classifies as a cyclecar and if it has its place here? A friend of mine in Sweden sells his 1959 Lloyd Alexander TS 600 LP. (does the TS stand for 'with tomato and salad'?) 2 cylinder, 596 cc, 25 hp, 70 mph (after pressing hard for 60 seconds). Engine, gearbox and front end are done. Body needs some easy welding.
    http://www.prewarcar.com/postwarclassic/classifieds/ad75551.html</SPAN>
    Lloyd Alexander.jpg lloyd 600.jpg

10. UKAde

UKAde
    from Oxford UK

The blue car is a recreation of a very early gn belt drive cyclecar, the engine is mounted inline rather than the normal gn across the car ,
    The owner has a couple of other gn cars including one with an ex race works engine ,

Talgil you should see if you can get to the vintage revival this year near Paris there are a number of cycle cars there Inc my chater lea which is owned now by Marc Hendrix , I hope to take my jappic recreation but it's looking doubtfull as time is flying by

11. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Talgil,I think the "invitation only" is for cars only.I'm sure you could spectate if nothing else.Then there is the Vintage Revival meet at Monthery!

Bob

12. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I like the third seat.

13. Talgil

Talgil
    from Luxembourg

So the Chater Lea went to Brussels! I had plans to go to Monthléry anyway, but do not think my Talbot will be ready to take along. As the jappic does not seem to be there either, we will have to develop another sign of recognition to have a beer and chat. Here a picture of a later GN (Fraser Nash) I took at Prescott hillclimb. Don't remember if it was for the car or for the lady?

Attached Files:

14. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

The car is named "Piglet" and is usually seen being driven by Longstone Tyres owner Dougal.Dougal is usually seen wearing some outregeous sweater.

Outback likes this.
  15. You have fine tastes either way.
    Love your JAPPIC!

16. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Just about every car in the background looks interesting; not least the three possibly aero-engined Edwardian Monstrosities.

17. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

!926 Darmont Special,Vintage Revival Montlhery pic...

Attached Files:

Outback likes this.
  18. Talgil

Talgil
    from Luxembourg

:) If heaven would be a place on earth, for me it would certainly be there! Further pictures I took in 2010.

Regarding Monthléry, I have been there when still organized by Jacques Pothérat. At this time, the pictures I took were still on paper. So not immediately available on a file to post them here.

Attached Files:

19. ebtm3

ebtm3

What's that 4 cylinder T head, with the copper water jackets?

Herb

20. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I've wondered if my fondness for truly tiny cars is really the same thing as my fondness for truly huge cars. I like those zones where scale becomes weird.

21. Talgil

Talgil
    from Luxembourg

I think it is a Panhard Levassor Grand Prix car from 1908.

22. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Attached Files:

23. smarjoram

smarjoram
    from uk

24. Talgil

Talgil
    from Luxembourg

WOW. Great pictures. There is a grown up cylecar project for sale on prewarcar today.
    http://www.prewarcar.com/index.php?option=com_caradvert&view=ad&section_id=1&id=77145&Itemid=432

Do not know if the Ford T chassis will stand up the torque when ready and if you will be welcome to join in with the big boys travelling their face in the wind and their feet firmly pushed against an engine of at least 1o litres capacity. But the tought alone to do so and hear the chain drive rattle next to your hip saves the day!
    Picture is of the Darracq land speed record car. (at Prescott 2010)

Attached Files:

Outback likes this.
  25. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Here are some Leyat Helica pics from Avignon Motor Festival taken at Retromobile...

Attached Files:

Outback likes this.
  26. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Attached Files:

27. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Attached Files:

28. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob