Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1956 Chrysler Norseman

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by James Maxwell, Aug 25, 2009.

1. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I'm with FurBiscuit. This concept car probably actually had more real-world impact on bigger MoPar vehicles of the early and mid-'60s than other Chrysler show cars of the '50s, IMO.

But, yes, once you commit to a long WB hardtop, you have to support the overall structure in ways you never could in a pillared sedan. And that wouldn't have applied just to MoPars, either.

2. WQ59B

WQ59B

Wondering what you've seen to prove these are under structural stress. The A-pillar is dead vertical and supports the weight of the roof easily, and the top edge of the windshield is almost completely un-shrouded. I pulled the windshield (& rear glass: 2-dr hardtop) from my '59 without issue or breakage, and it was not difficult.
    I had always heard the reluctance of installers was nothing about the difficultly/stress, just the cost/difficulty of locating the glass itself.

3. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm seeing a lot of Marlin in that one.Cool car.

4. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Ditto, rod1. Probably helped determine wheelbase, too, on the Marlin. Stylist Richard Teague had wanted to see it produced more on a "pony car" type of wheelbase, but it was issued as a pretty large car instead.

5. sumner41

sumner41

I beg to differ about glass as a structual component. All the modern cars do so. In modern cars if you remove windshield and back glass ,the roof will wooble like a feather in a windstorm. As the glass is indeed used as a structural component

6. Koderboy

Koderboy
    from Monroe ia

First time ive seen this car or heard about it pretty good looking car imo! Someone should try to make another one!

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper
    from Atlanta

My Mother worked at Chrysler in Highland park as a secretary when Norseman was being built by Ghia. She did the paperwork for the shipping that arraigned it being put on the Andrea Doria.

She swears that there were two and both were destroyed. The other came off a trailer as it was being towed back from a show in Detroit. I think she has it mixed up and it was one of other concept cars since I have never been able to find any mention of a second Norseman. Maybe it was one of the 55 Falcons. She had the chance to sit in one of them and described it to me well enough for me to find pictures for her to confirm it was the car she had sat in.

8. tfee

tfee

Yesterday I went to Bill Brownlies estate sale here in Dearborn Michigan. Bill was the lead designer on the Chrysler Norseman among many other projects and amid some of his illustrations was a photograph of the clay model of the ill fated Norseman. It's too bad the car never made it to production because it sure is sexy with its wrap around glass. I can't wait to get this picture up on my wall, it's a full 32" wide and the detail in the model is quite incredible.

Attached Files:

Hyfire likes this.
  9. lawman

lawman

Great story and picture's !!!!

10. sololobo

sololobo

Thanx for a cool shot of info on this obsolete and remarkable car. Like so many prototypes we have seen, this is an absolute gem. The interior is really special. Great stuff ~sololobo~

11. My Dad was a Chrysler executive at the Export-Import Division and headed up the shipping for that car. It was a very sad day at our dinner table that night after hearing about the car going down in that wreck.

12. Ask your mother if she knew my Dad, Bill Keiser from Export-Import. Just a side note....there was and is only one actual Chrysler Falcon. It was painted Silver for one show, red for another show and black for a third show. It is a common mistake to think that there were three of them. There was only one Norseman.

13. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

In attachment #Attachment 740843, I think I see a couple of HAMB'ers pulling it out from the wreck! :rolleyes:

14. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Utter nonsense, I chopped my 59 El Camino and even in its less than perfect channel my wife and I put the windshield in in about 20 minutes.

15. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

And that Chrysler Concept Cars book is outta print, it's fantastic.

16. stangman05gt

stangman05gt
    from illinois

I have a friend who dives that wreck every couple of years and i contacted him on this to see if he has pictures of the wreck and if he has ever seen remnants of a car among the wreckage. stay tuned.

17. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

18. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper
    from Atlanta

I asked her and shes racking her brain. Its been a while LOL.

She worked in purchasing (systems and procedures) Art Yarnold was the head she answered too. He answered to JD Moran. JD is who showed her the Falcon and let her sit in it when it was in the Executive Garage. She remembers seeing that had Something like $100k in the car.

She also did stuff for Cook. She was the one that got to take dictation and knew about stuff (who was about to get fired/promoted) way before others. LOL She torqued up some engineer when they were looking at doing something with BMW. They had one in the executive garage they were looking at one idiot said "British Motor works"...she corrected him and embarrassed him (My Dad rode BMW's) it made the rounds she though she was going to get fired over it LOL .

side Note she just told me: Richard Petty use to come down there every once in a while. His sister worked there and they knew each other and he would visit with her. She got to meet him when he swung by.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    HEMI32 likes this.
  19. Here's a copy of Chrysler's July 26, 1956 press release:

Chrysler Memo - Norseman lost in Andrea Doria.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.