Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Speed Shop in Midland TX

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GotRust, Feb 24, 2007.

1. I know nothing about the history of this place but I wish I did. It is an old abandoned building here in Midland. At the top it says
    Racing Equipment
    Lloyd's
    SPEED SHOP
    ISKY MOON MT OFFY

Both sides of the building have the same sign but the other sign is in almost unreadable condition. There is no front door.

hhhmmmmm. . . future photo op (Terry's excellent idea)

What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. how about some pictures . Sounds cool though. might make a way cool club shop if you can find the land owner.

3. I just added a pic. You can almost hear the old stories. . .

4. Gives me goose bumps.

5. oh,hell yeah! I was right! it would make a bitchin' club shop! I can almost hear the the ghosts myself. Is that a "T" banger revving up or just my imagination hearing what it wants?

6. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If its the place I think it is, I peaked over the fence a few years ago and there was some old tin still back there.

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yep, I grew up in Midland... Remember that place very well. Last time I went buy, it was a paint shop... "Omero's"

8. Midland Texas, isn't that where Jim Hall came from? He built Chaparall race cars there in the 60's.

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

yep... jim hall rules... his museum there is pretty cool....

10. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

I'll second that.. Met him at the Monterey Historics. There were all these snooty people around with their vintage race cars sipping wine and stuff and you go over to his tent and as he pulls out the chaparral 2 with all the reporters hovering around and the track officals trying to direct things he just opens up the throttle leaves his signature on the pavement.

Now that this thread has been hijacked...back to the original topic

There's a place like that on the way to college station from clifton... unfortunately I can't remember if it is before or after Waco, it's on 6 though. Bass might know, but anyway we stopped once and looked through the broken windows and there were a few wheels and bellhousings still on shelves inside. Next to it is a abondoned bar called Zippos, that still had a sign on the side for "coloreds entrance". In fact every building in that small stretch has been abandoned since the early 60's probably.

11. Terry

Terry

Thats the place Bo! Now that we know where it is again, I gotta get over there and take some pictures of the rat.

Rubberrodder has a awesome idea as well.

speaking of Hall, I got the chance to go to his place a couple of times when my buddy James did some painting for him. Never did get to meet him though.

12. There is no fence around it now and the lot is clean. Could you be remembering a different one? This one is close to downtown and South of the railroad tracks.

Do you remember if this is the same area?

13. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Shoot me a pm with the street address. I have a friend there who is an old time rodder that might remember the place. My wife grew up in Midland and her Sis and dad still live there.

14. KWashburn

KWashburn

Not to bring an old thread back from the dead, but I just happened upon this place after lunch today. I've lived here 20 years and never knew this place existed.

And yes, the Jim Hall Racing Museum rules all.

15. Shipper Sel

Shipper Sel
    from SoCal

Lived there for a year after highschool 20 years ago. i LOVE Midland! Im sure its changed...

16. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

The Mabee brothers (Mabee Drilling Co) were from Midland in the early 50's.
    They had the Mabee special, a 203 mph Victress body sports car that ran at Bonneville
    in 53. Really interesting guys to talk to.
    Maybe there is some connection to that shop with them???

17. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Anyone one have any other photo's of the building with the name and a little history.

I would like to create a decal in honor of the place if it is no longer in business and it does not ruffle any feathers if you know what I mean.

These all speed shops should live on in our minds forever and they all have a great deal of history to them.

Jimbo

18. I had forgotten about this thread but I always drive by the place when I get a chance. I will ask around and see if anybody remembers anything about this place.