Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 62 skylark build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by haroldsrodshop, Jan 8, 2012.

1. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

Great looking cars when done up as mild customs.

2. haroldsrodshop

haroldsrodshop

Its been a while but I finally have primer on the old girl... glad as hell to done with the bodywork.

Attached Files:

3. haroldsrodshop

haroldsrodshop

I was lucky enough to locate a set of corvair front hubs and drums just a few miles from my house... turned out to be an easy swap.. need some ideas for changing the bolt pattern on the rear axle.. is this something I can do myself?.. or is this something for a machine shop?.. just want it to be safe. any input is appreciated. Anyone in upstate NY that does it?

Attached Files:

4. haroldsrodshop

haroldsrodshop

My liscence plate lights were rotted away so I salvaged some from a caravan and built a bracket to hide them inside the bumper.

Attached Files:

5. kid442

kid442
    from Maryland

Harold,
    Nice work! I have been told you can return your axles to one of the major manufacturers and they will weld and redrill them for you. Not sure what one. Sorry! I think I read that on the skylark616263 yahoo group. Check around.
    Good luck and keep us up to date.
    Ken

6. motorgod7

motorgod7
    from chico,ca.

Cool build. I have a 62 special, it came with the long skylark tailight trim you have, luckily in the trunk were the little "special" pieces you want. Google the Buick farm junk yard in Sacramento,Ca. for parts and pieces. There was a guy on Ebay selling disc brake kits for these cars a few years back. You could always buy or make wheel adapters for the rear lug conversion. If at some point you put a 300 v8 in your car you will need to keep your left side exhaust manifold from the 215, just port match it first, and fit it to the engine too. Grinding the block in the car was a bitch, ask me how I know. Plan on driveshaft tunnel mods too as well as the tranny hump. Keep up the good work.

7. Lookin good. Reminds me of when i had my 63. Boy do i miss that car.

8. I just picked up a '62. Hate the 13" wheels! I'd like to know what car came with 15" 4-lugs? I would be happy with just some 15's and cool caps. I'm lowering it today. I'll post some pic's after I get a few minutes. Needs some cosmetic changes too...pretty busy now with the color scheme,exhaust tips,steering wheel,bullets in the grill.

Here's a pic of the one I just picked up...BTW-Wheel Vintiques sells 14x6,4on4 1/2 Chromies and 15x6,4on4 1/2 Chromies. Saw them in a catalog this morning.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  9. 1961SPECIAL

1961SPECIAL

Yah i am stuck with the 13's too.

Changing the front is not an issue but having to change the rear just seems like more than what i want to tackle. So for now i am cruising on the 13's and Ive grown to like them.

btw a guy on here was selling a set of 4 lug spider caps. Maybe he still has them. I had to pass on them. I kinda regret it now.

Here are some pics of my wagon...before i removed the blue coating.

Attached Files:

10. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I always thought 13s were the perfect size for those cars, just like 14s or 15s max are right on full size. I would think runnin 15s on such a small car would make them look like 18s on a fullsize.

Anyways, 61Special, the wagon looks great. Nice and smooth, and love the caps.

11. I'm doing the Scarebird on my '63.
    Still have to add a master and plumb, but is coming along well.
    I got a set of Corvair hubs from "Flat Top Bob".
    http://www.owenssalvage.com

12. 1961SPECIAL

1961SPECIAL

Thank you Bonez.

13. I agree,Bonez. If I was planning on keeping mine,I would go with 14s,just to get better cap options. I'm sticking with 13'' wheels,tires and caps. Mooneyes has some cool 13" caps i'm gonna get. Lowered the rear 3" today. Probably do the front 2" tomorrow.
    I'm gonna do my own thread,with all the before and after pic's when i'm done.

14. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

i always wondered if the bubble top from a corvair would fit --be cool if it did--have you seen that gasser skylark thread ? cool car

15. Just got off the phone with The Wheelsmith in Corona. They make 14x6 bare and chrome wheels,15x6 bare and chrome wheels,with 4x4 1/2 and 4x4-1/4 bolt circle. I'll be getting my 14",chrome wheels next week.

16. Spanks62Lark

Spanks62Lark

Motorgod7,

Doing the 300/TH350 conversion. What mods did you have to do to the tranny tunnel? Thats what I am running into now.

Chris