Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tire Help, please! Go easy on me.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porkchop4464, Feb 3, 2013.

1. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

I was hoping some of you might chime in and give me some titles. I am looking to pick up some tires in a few pay checks. Does anyone know which type/rating/tag name is associated with the front tires that have a narrow foot print? They start out as wide as the rim, then taper down to an final tread that is much narrower than the rim, and somewhat elevated like a retread on a semi.

Don't think I don't know that my sad descriptions don't deserve a beating; but I would rather get it here from you guys than from the tire salesman. I just want to know what to ask about when I look around for tires. My rims are simple stock steel Fords: 15 inch, 7.5s, 5 on 5.5 (fronts) and the same but 5 on 4.5 (9 inch Ford rear).

Through the years, I have seen these tires before on Volkswagens (old beetles) and the bigger pickups 250 -350 on the fronts (or at least they used to have them). Basically they look like a retread on a tandem or any semi.

2. 54nomore

54nomore
    from illinois

Probably 7.10-15 bias ply would acheive that "look". You'd probably only have about 5" of tread on the ground and the section width of the tire (7.10") would actually be a little wider yet on a 7-1/2 inch rim width.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

check with vendors here, like Coker Tires, for info on what will meet your needs. you do not have to buy from them, unless they give good price, what are you working on? post pics.

4. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Is this what you are taking about? This is a 500/525 x 16 Firestone Deluxe Champion. These are on the front of my Model A. VW type tire, didn't know this didn't match my rear tires when I ordered them. I like your description of them, it's exactly why I hate them.

Attached Files:

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Are you saying your front rims are 7.5 wide ? That is a little wider than usual. If so, where are you measuring ?

Don

6. db300

db300

The early 15 tires on VW's were 5.60 x 15. The 16" were pre 53 Beattles and pre 55 Buses.

7. Your description sounds a lot like a tire that's too narrow for the rim.
    How about a picture of what you are talking about ?

8. Indychus

Indychus
    from Irmo, SC

It sounds to me like you are describing a pie-crust bias ply on a rim that's too wide... pics would help.

9. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Thanks for all the comments guys. I kind of thought they were a little wide. I figure they are Seventies, a set of standard steel Ford rims. I snagged them online really cheap. I guess I will find out, again, how stupid decisions for a cheap price work out. Maybe E-van or f150 rims? When I bought the rears, the guy explained that they came off an LTD (the rim is larger in the back inside).

Don, I could have a narrower rim? They have tires on them, so I can’t really measure them well currently. I am going by what I remember when I picked them up (couple years back)

I will look it over and take some pics tonight if I get the chance. The rims have decent tires on them now, but they are boring, small, and they simply don't do it. At least they are solid black (Whoopie).

By the way, F6, you nailed it! Those are what I talking about!

10. stop by a tire store and they can measure the rim width with their tire calipers. Each tire has a spec for the min/max rim width. This will determine what size tire is available for use on those rims.

11. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Guys, was looking around today online, and it seems that a few titles I dug up are as follows: Highway Rib, Light Duty Rib, and even Rib tires. When I kept digging, I ran into farming tires and what not; but I looked around under van and light commercial vehicles and that terminology and that style tire did come up. I know it is not worth much, but I figured since I had asked on the topic, I might as well share my meager findings in case anyone else is curious as well.