Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help With 39 Willys Headlights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 39WILLZ, Feb 2, 2013.

1. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Has any one got pix of 39 Willys headlight pieces as i only have lenses and need help with what i have missing many thanks Wayne.

2. I just sold mine. They are die cast from memory, i only have lenses left also sorry. JW

3. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

No props thanks for help any ways do you want to sell the lenses you have cheers Wayne

4. isaac's mouse

isaac's mouse
    from Omaha

to make them work, you need all the correct original stuff to hold them in.....in the back there is a sheet metal strap that clips in a bracket welded into the top inside of the fender pod at the 12 oclock position that runs down behind a big stamped sheetmetal ball affair to a retaining screw that runs through the fender below the lense opening at the 6 oclock position. 3 screws in front of the ball around its perimeter retain a cast ring, lense, reflecter, bulb, and stainless trim ring. you really need it all to make it work....tough to find, good luck.

5. They are the most elaborate head light system Willys ever put out (I have a '39 coupe).
    There is a pot metal piece that holds the head light lens, which is held in by a stainless trim ring (one of the hardest pieces to find). The pot metal piece also holds the head light bucket, and has 3 tangs which bolt to a welded-in bracket inside the fender. There is a strap that goes around the bucket and holds the bucket to the pot metal . The reflector is in the bucket, and the head light is aimed by moving the bucket like an eyeball within that strap and the pot metal piece. Pot metal piece often has broken tangs, but you could rig a tang and pop rivet, or JB Weld it on and that might work.
    The odd shaped glass is a bit easier to come by, although no one reproduces it, but it's out there on places like Ebay. As I said, the stainless trim ring is the hardest piece to find, and some have siliconed the lens in if they cannot find the trim piece. If you don't use the reflector, you can use a halogen seal beam head light, but look for the 5-3/4 inch size and try to find a clear lens, otherwise you end up with what we call a double prism effect. The lights (on my coupe) are bright, but the light goes everywhere because of that double prism effect. I have pictures of all the '39 light components, and had them in a Mid America Willys magazine at least a dozen years ago...I'll see if I can find the issue number.
    g-willys

6. 39WILLZ,
    The Mid America Willys Club magazine used to be called Gasser Gossip, and the picture spread on Willys Headlights is in Issue #39, (Jan/Feb '95), so if you know anyone with a collection of them, you will find the break down of the '39 head light system, plus all the other years.
    g-willys

7. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

8. 1934coupe

1934coupe

9. Mopar'd

Mopar'd

I believe the article is authored by g-willys

10. I sold the body work of my 39 sedan a year ago and i had the headlights in a box,it would have helped you lots,BUGGA !! I really cant see them being easy to make. I only had them since 1976 !! Good luck,JW :)

11. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

This is why i love the Hamb full of great people thanks to one and all of you for your help pix will help no end now realise i have lenses and pot metel pieces just need trim rings buckets and reflectors should be able to find parts off something else that will work cheers Wayne

12. [​IMG]Well i think you can cross 2x lenses and 1x trim off your list Wayne. JW :)

13. Grab it!!!
    That stainless trim ring is very hard to find, and holds the lens in...no one is reproducing either.
    g-willys

14. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

JW You are a star i will have those please,i have a kiwi friend who works in my shop whos going home in March maybe we can get together and get them to England.Thanks again for every ones help the Hamb rules.

15. [​IMG]Wayne ,have you got any spare front bumper over-riders as on my 37? JW

16. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

JW think i may have a couple how many do ya need? cheers Wayne

17. Just two, i never had any for mine and i cant find the ones i had on my 39, the 1980 pic of me and my 37 has some i borrowed from a mates 37 while he had it in bits, and yes i had to give them back.I will do a swap if you like ? Cheers JW.

18. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Hey JW yes have 2 if you pm your email ill send you some pix not worked out how to load them on here yet,swap would be great if your ok with that your a star cheers Wayne. your 37 looks real kool.