Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hemi Insulators and Components

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jan 20, 2012.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey everyone...

I got in some insulators today and I just wanted to pass along some information that I thought might help.

I purchased some "OEM type" Hemi insulators, presumably intended for a 426, but will work with early Chryslers, and should work just as well for Dodge and DeSoto, if I'm not mistaken. Please correct me if that is false. I want to make sure things are clear.

With the insulators the mating boots are also used. Both are being reproduced/labeled as Taylor and can be used with 7mm OR 8mm wires. These are available through anyone who sells Taylor products. Jegs sells them for sure and I'm sure Summit Racing or the likes do as well.

Insulator - Taylor part number: 44000
    Boot- Taylor Part number 44500

I wanted to show the comparisons between the original porcelain insulators and the reproduction pieces as well. The 44500 boots will fit the porcelain insulators, but will have to be cut down, almost in half. But should work.

So hopefully the pictures and part numbers will help someone out.

[​IMG]

Here's all the interacting components, including a spark plug...

[​IMG]

Here's the insulators side by side. The Taylor reproduction is 4.67" long, and the stock style porcelain insulator measures 5.15" long.

[​IMG]

The porcelain insulators recess is much more shallow than the Taylor plastic version...

[​IMG]

This is the result, which means trimming. But physically the boots do fit...

[​IMG]

The insulator assembled to the spark plug.

NOTE!!! The plug is shown with the washer just for the purpose of discussion. It is recommended that the washer be removed. The tubes act as the washer and place the correct spark plug in the correct position without the washer in place. They CAN be run with the washer, and plenty of people do, but it is suggested they be removed.

[​IMG]

Assembled, the top of the insulator will sit very close to level with the top of the lip, as will the porcelain one when the boot is trimmed up.

[​IMG]

Just wanted to share all that with you guys. I'm making a new set of 7mm wires soon, so I've been gathering up the components for the job. Thought I would do this before it all gets assembled.

If anyone has anything to add, fire away!

2. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

I bought a set of the complete Taylor Hemi wires and they fit great. They come assembled except the small end so you can trim the wires to fit.

Taylor part number 75089 I got them from "that" auction site for a decent price.

Cliff Ramsdell

3. Excellent info as always Scooter- But a Q?.... Obviously the insulators are well,duh,used for...... But,is the heat factor that extreme where the boot will actually break down/melt/arc? Same taylor hemi wires here as mentioned....
    Thanks Bud!

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the added information, Cliff! That is also a great little piece of information!

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure. I believe these are silicone boots, so they should be okay, in theory. maybe someone can tell us if they've had problems with that particular part.

6. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I bought a magneto 8mm wire kit from Taylor and cut the boots off then took the porcelins and reamed them with a diamond hone to fit the wires and then had to use a diamond hole saw to open where the terminal clip would normaly fit. I did all this because I couldnt find red 7mm wire at the time.

Attached Files:

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! You are a brave man! HAHA! :D Nice results though! Good job!

I personally REALLY like the porcelain insulators. Thinking I'm going to use them on the set I'm about to make.

What boot did you use with your porcelains? Did you modify the Taylor ones or use something off the shelf that was shorter?

8. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Call me for the details 1-310-768-3163

9. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

i`d like to add that the crimper that taylor sells is a little spendy, but it gives you a professional result.

Attached Files:

10. BashingTin

BashingTin

Thank you Scott!

11. krooser

krooser

Great post Scooter...

12. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I like the porcelin ones myself, they just look right

13. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

Cliff:
    I was looking at that same set (75089), did you leave the wells
    open? I was looking to use the 44300 tube well covers, would
    like to know how they fit the old style engines?
    Rich

14. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since I run the stock hemi plug wire covers on mine, I just use straight boot plug wires. One of the issues with the deep milk tubes that the hemi spark plugs sit in is that sometimes its difficult to seat the wire on the plug properly, and even more difficult to remove them. This is particularly an issue with RF Suppression wires, since it's fairly easy to damage the core by yanking on the wire. Hence, my very simple "Hemi spark plug tools". Cheap and effective.

First of all, a shot of the parties involved:

[​IMG]

A close-up:

[​IMG]

A close shot of the boot pusher, and how if fits over the spark plug wire boot:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And finally, the boot puller tool, which lifts the boot from the bottom, and makes plug wire removal quite easy and damage-free:

[​IMG]

The boot puller will work on pretty much any engine where the boots tend to stick to the plug and are a P.I.T.A. to remove.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  15. Willy301

Willy301

I like your tools and I would only add that just a dab of dielectric grease on the insulator prior to boot install will help them come off a little easier in the future. It is important to use dielectric so it does not cause a short with the spark.

16. George

George

I just use generic Accell/Mallory wires w/o the insulators. Even with seals no problems.

17. Excellent pics and info above^. It's not like the boots are near an exhaust manifold...... A lil' grease and some homemade tools are in order.
    Thanks guys.

18. Is there a tool you can buy premade that works like the coat hanger idea.?

19. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Yes, they are commercially available. Try ebay.

20. -What would I look under and do you know what brand and type will fit in the Hemi spark plug tube?

21. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

gearhead, just click on this and have at it. Looks like the Lisle version would be long enough to work on the hemi boots, not sure the dorman would fit down the tube. I figured I'd just make my own, pretty simple tool...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=spark+plug+wire+puller

22. 73RR

73RR

Mopar pn P5249718 about $20
    [​IMG]

23. Fenders

Fenders

Lisle 51250 is cheap - don't know the length, though. Easy enough to make on like it,,,