Register now to get rid of these ads!

What Crankshaft takes a 2" OD Pilot Bearing ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Little Wing, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Have a VERY old Steel Packard trans adapter , it came with a 2" OD Pilot bearing , anyone know what crank takes such a bearing ?

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Is that SBC with crankshaft for use with the odd automatic trans of the 1950's...not powerglide, the deluxe one, can't remember name. It required an adaptor ring to reuce pilot to normal SBC size.

Edit...is Turbglide trans I'm thinking of. Prbably every damn one of them in a dumpster by 1960, but the cranks are still around!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  3. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

So convert auto to stick ?

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It converted a crank that would only work with the Turboglide to work with stick and powerglide conversions. The Turboglide was rare new because it was expensive beyond the powerglide, and became increasingly rare because it was no damn good and GM started servicing them by converting the cars to PG.
    I do not know dimensions so can't ID this, but what I remember is that TG cars had a big socket for the front of the coupler seating in crank and that a special setup was needed to bring it down to normal SBC size for use with other transmissions. The crank stayed in service much longer than any Turboglide did...

5. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

ahh,,

6. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

While the Turboglide crankshafts had a larger hole that the other sbc cranks, it wasn't that large. My first guess would be nailhead Buick; I've got an aluminum adapter that came with a n.o.s. TransDapt bell housing for a 322 that's about that large. The special adapter has a bronze pilot bushing in it.

7. titus

titus

Im thinking that bolt pattern looks like 40-54 chevy but upside down.

jeff

8. titus

titus

here the specs on the chevy bolt pattern, but heres a pic of my 40-54 to packard adaptor and it looks like the offset is different from yours so negative on that.

Attached Files:

9. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Roughly

top across 6 inches

Bottom across 3 3/4

top to bottom 5 3/8

10. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Is it a bearing or a bushing? Some adapters came with a brass or bronze bushing that you could have a machine shop turn down the OD to fit whatever you need it to fit.

11. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

I am with Heathen here. Looks like early Buick bolt pattern on the adapter, and the Dynaflos had quite a large snout on the torque convertor going into the crank.

12. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

Been a long time ago, but I pulled a 348 and turboglide from a 60 Impala, and then put a manual behind the engine and stuck it in a pickup. I don't remember anything unusual about getting a pilot bushing to fit the crank.

13. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

That looks like a 322 Nailhead adapter with a home made trans mount such as used in a 55-57 Chevy but possibly using an iron t10 behind it?

14. titus

titus

its actually a trans dapt adaptor with mid mounts, they could be ordered that way from trans dapt. ive had many nos in the box units and a couple with the midplate.

jeff

15. Nailhead Jeff

Nailhead Jeff
    from fresno

63 down nailheads take a big pilot bushing. might be about 2". That bellhousing looks like a big round battern similer to Buick.

16. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

I guess I meant to say and adapter to mate a 264-322 Buick to a 55-up Chevy 3spd/4spd. With the steel midmount/forward trans mount as would be used in Chevies from 55 to 57 or later.
    But I did not know that you could have ordered the midmount from trans-dapt. I have had several of their adapters over the years, but never the midmount. Neat piece to have though.

And yes, the pre 64 Dynaflos had a rather large snout on the convertor (which is what makes the 59-63 401 cranks different than the 64-66 cranks.

So yto get back on track, I believe that the first pic is of an adapter to put the Packard trans behind a pre 63 Nailhead using the stock Nailhead 3spd bellhousing. The stock 3spd would have been the less desirable slector type trans and the Packard would have been a noticable improvement. Plenty strong and relatively nice shifting.

17. titus

titus

I knew what you meant, i was just saying you could order it with the mid plate. no biggy:)

The buick 63 and earlier bolt pattern is more along the lines of a gm 4speed type pattern. ive had a bunch of trans dapt adaptors with that bolt pattern also, that pattern is different than the adaptor shown above.

heres some copies of pages out of the trans dapt catolog of the trans patterns and measurements, the last page didnt copy correctly and i dont have the measurements.

Attached Files:

18. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

I think the small trans pattern is like the old Pontiac. They are slightly different than the big trans if i remember correctly. I could go outside and measure one if anyone needs or just wants me to.

19. Lakehouse51

Lakehouse51
    from Virginia

Going to take a shot Lincoln Y block /Ford truck HD had a large pilot bearing, about 2+ inch. Pattern could be mopar or ford.

20. Lakehouse51

Lakehouse51
    from Virginia

Just checked a ECU crank takes a 2.025 bearing ! Let me know what I won.